So why the reapplicant stigma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopaminesurge

My friends calls me Steve
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean, it seems clear to most people there is one, so I'll accept it... But is it just because they're skeptical as to why you didn't make it the first time around? Does it seem like an automatic no for any schools?

Members don't see this ad.

dopaminesurge said:
I mean, it seems clear to most people there is one, so I'll accept it... But is it just because they're skeptical as to why you didn't make it the first time around? Does it seem like an automatic no for any schools?

From what I gather from these boards plenty of re-applicants actually do get accepted on their second even third try. I think it's because they focus on different schools and do things to improve their application.

dopaminesurge said:

you arent a typical reapplicant case though. for crying out loud, the worst school you applied to last year was YALE. most reapplicants are trying to prove their worthiness just to get into med school, your situation is completely apart from any other case.

Members don't see this ad :)
quantummechanic said:
you arent a typical reapplicant case though. for crying out loud, the worst school you applied to last year was YALE. most reapplicants are trying to prove their worthiness just to get into med school, your situation is completely apart from any other case.

This is true, but will the fact that my AMCAS states that I've applied in the past be an automatic strike against me, however minor?

dopaminesurge said:
This is true, but will the fact that my AMCAS states that I've applied in the past be an automatic strike against me, however minor?
they probably will give you a clean slate and the benefit of the doubt. In your case you applied to too few schools, and youre a reapplicant not because you weren't qualified, but that you lacked the savvy last year to apply wisely. lesson learned.

quantummechanic said:
they probably will give you a clean slate and the benefit of the doubt. In your case you applied to too few schools, and youre a reapplicant not because you weren't qualified, but that you lacked the savvy last year to apply wisely. lesson learned.

I agree with quantum here. I was accepted during my second round of applications by two schools who had previously rejected me (one outright, one waitlist). They certainly held nothing against me for having applied before, and one interviewer even commended me for sticking to my guns.

It's just a wake-up call that you need to choose the schools and number of programs you apply to well and that you need to address any shortcomings in your application before trying again.

dopaminesurge said:

Some schools reportedly have a less welcoming approach to reapplicants than others. In most cases, that means a reapplicant needs to figure out where they fell short and show substantial improvement from the prior cycle just to get the same level of consideration, which is a detriment. No idea what the approach is with respect to a reapplicant with already stellar stats. But reapplication is somewhat of an applicant's marketing problem -- every school assumes that you were passed over in the prior round for some definite reason -- they just might not be sure what. Hence the stigma. I'm sure you will get past it.

On the other hand, some schools might see reapplying as evidence that you are committed to medicine.... you are not just throwing in the towel and finding something else to do, but you are improving your credentials and reapplying.

If you're wondering if you should apply to Yale again, do it. Jesus.

dopaminesurge said:

From what I've read/heard as many as 50% of matriculating classes are re-applicants. Many schools take it as dedication to the goal and commitment to the cause. Some schools however, will not even look at you if it is your third time applying there. Overall, I think your chances as a re-applicant are just as good as a first timer, especially if you make a point to discuss ways in which you've improved your qualifications in the down time between application cycles.

Some schools actually like people who have applied a few times. Of course, I can't speak for the IVY's, but some state schools think it's a plus. Either way, fretting about the facts isn't going to change them.
So here's to effort and determination!

jillibean said:
On the other hand, some schools might see reapplying as evidence that you are committed to medicine.... you are not just throwing in the towel and finding something else to do, but you are improving your credentials and reapplying.

This statement shows up on SDN a lot, but there are enough 3 time MCAT takers and multiple year reapplicants out there to suggest that persistence is actually not given as much benefit as you suggest. Most adcoms and advisors will tell you that you want to get everything in line before you apply, and do it once, if possible. Do not apply before your stats are competitive. Folks who apply before their credentials are in order, before their ducks are in a row, with the intent to just "give it a shot -- I can always reapply" tend to be disadvantaged in the process in subsequent rounds. (Obviously this is not the OP's issue).

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
I seriously question this statistic. If you have any evidence to back this up, I would love to see it.

I am not sure what year the data is from, but University of Washington states that 52 of 178 in the entering class were reapplicants (29%)... not 50% or anything but still a significant proportion, IMO.

OHSU states that 25% of their typical class is comprised of reapplicants.

dbhvt said:
If you're wondering if you should apply to Yale again, do it. Jesus.

I know my mind is made up... so put away your makeup...

That is, no Yale.

ALSO, here's a question: Just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing - I'm talking about someone who applied to school A last year and is applying to school B this year. For school B, this person is still a reapplicant, right? Because yes, i'm making it clear to schools A where I've improved my app from last year, but schools B have no frame of reference.

dopaminesurge said:

That is, no Yale.

ALSO, here's a question: Just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing - I'm talking about someone who applied to school A last year and is applying to school B this year. For school B, this person is still a reapplicant, right? Because yes, i'm making it clear to schools A where I've improved my app from last year, but schools B have no frame of reference.

How does school B know you applied last year? Can they see all of the AMCAS info about eachother? I dont know...I am a reapplicant tho and I am having success so far: applied to 4 schools last year,no interviews. 35 this year and I have 3 interviews so far. Granted, I improved my MCAT by a lot, however casting a wider net really helps. I think you should completely ignore any negativity spoken about reapplicants, especially if you have improved yourself.

dopaminesurge said:

i think most of the re-applicant stigma comes from your college peers and people who post on this site. i was a re-applicant, and i found that most of my interviewers saw my my re-application as a sign of endurance and motivation. some interviewers never mentioned it, but i never once experienced any outward skepticism from admissions people. i did a whole lot to improve my app in between cycles, so i'm sure that had something to do with the encouragement. so, if you've made improvements and you can speak realistically about why you didn't get in the first time around, you'll have favorable experiences. best of luck.

medstylee said:
i did a whole lot to improve my app in between cycles, so i'm sure that had something to do with the encouragement. so, if you've made improvements and you can speak realistically about why you didn't get in the first time around, you'll have favorable experiences. best of luck.

Are application "improvements" generally MCAT retakes or post-bacc work to raise your GPA? I was in a bad motorcycle accident last year during my applications and so ended up getting them in late... as a result, two waitlists and no love from AdComs. I don't have stunning stats, 3.48 BCMP and 3.51 overall and a 31Q, and I figured most of my problem was the late application. Since I graduated I've moved to Shanghai to take an internship working for a joint-venture hospital... My question is, the GPA trend was down (the accident didn't do wonders for my last two semester's GPA) and I didn't retake the MCAT, so is adding an EC like the internship considered improvement?

I'm also obviously applying earlier this year, submitted back in mid-July...

dopaminesurge said:

That is, no Yale.

For Yale
You don't have to put on the red light

i don't think there is a big stigma, but it obviously doesn't help you that every single school you applied to the last cycle decided to pass on you (not too big a deal in dope's case -- in fact, i think most schools will assume with her stats that she didn't apply to any schools but the elites, which is, in fact, true).

harvard med, for one, has a strict two strikes and you're out policy. if you do so much as submit a primary to them, that's one application, and you can't apply more than twice for any reason.

p.s. apply to yale!

dbhvt said:
For Yale
You don't have to put on the red light

Yale is the

First to fall over when the atmosphere is less than perfect
Your sensibilities are shaken by the slightest defect

Don't let them be.

Now if I tell you that you suffer from delusions
You pay your analyst to reach the same conclusions
You live your life like a canary in a coalmine
You get so dizzy even walking in a straight line

Apologies to Gordon Sumner.

Apply to wherever you feel you'll be happiest. No harm in trying once again at ANY of the schools you originally applied to. I'm pulling for you.

Best.

From what I've heard, there isn't much reapplicant stigma at most schools. Some schools might disregard your app a bit if they rejected or waitlisted you before because they assume that you still might not be up to par, but if you've improved your app, that shouldn't be a problem.

For the most part, your tremendous stats and ECs will compensate for this somewhat illogical reapplicant stigma.

Basically what I'm saying is, chill out and let the endorphins flow.
-Dr. P.

P.S.: Ok, I'll put the make-up away. Good luck girl.

dopaminesurge said:

That is, no Yale.

Why no Yale? I am just curious, because I am a Yale fanboi!

Listen, if you have done absolutely nothing between Year 1 and Year 2 of applying then you are wasting a year of application including a buttload of money because there will probably be no school that will take you if you have done nothing to improve your application.

As a reapplicant, you are most probably not the highest on the list, however, you need to sell yourself as the best thing for the school...how? In your extra year you A)got better grades, better MCAT, etc, B) some sort of work experience or volunteer experience or gotten some sort of experience, or C) the extra time has made you a better person/applicant because of some special thing that happened.

Again, if you've done nothing to improve your app, you are wasting your time

I've heard of some schools actually looking at reapplicants in a positive light, but even if the school is skeptical but not so much that they wouldn't give you an interview, it gives you something to discuss, and will allow you to tell them how you've improved, and what you did last year, etc... so it may actually be a good thing. As to whether or not it is a red flag, I would try posting in the reapps forum because you'll get some first-hand accounts- goodluck:)

dopaminesurge said:
I mean, it seems clear to most people there is one, so I'll accept it...
Talk to adcoms about this. I'm sure some schools are uptight about it (some schools are just uptight in general) but like many things, I never heard about the stigma for reapplicants until coming to SDN.

I've talked to two schools about it and neither one said it would affect the application.

I think the negative impression folks probably have with reapplying is the fact that reapplicants statistically are less likely to get in on reapplicatio than new applicants. Which, given the fact that folks failed to get in the first time, makes sense. But does that affect you as a single reapplicant? No.

Dopamine, you'll be just fine. You've done your whole trip to Africa, so you've definitely been keeping busy doing medically related stuff. Just turn the reapplication into a positive by showing your determination to go to med school. Only an interviewer who is trying to antagonize you would use it against you.

badgerinchina said:
Are application "improvements" generally MCAT retakes or post-bacc work to raise your GPA? I was in a bad motorcycle accident last year during my applications and so ended up getting them in late... as a result, two waitlists and no love from AdComs. I don't have stunning stats, 3.48 BCMP and 3.51 overall and a 31Q, and I figured most of my problem was the late application. Since I graduated I've moved to Shanghai to take an internship working for a joint-venture hospital... My question is, the GPA trend was down (the accident didn't do wonders for my last two semester's GPA) and I didn't retake the MCAT, so is adding an EC like the internship considered improvement?

I'm also obviously applying earlier this year, submitted back in mid-July...

yeah, definitely. one of the things i was told by admissions committees is that, between applications, it's essential to stay involved with medically-related ECs (volunteering, work, etc). it's a sign to them that you're really interested in medicine and that you're determined to get yourself into school. honestly, you have an understandable reason for why your grades might have dropped at the end. i don't think you should worry about that. some people obviously need to take measures to boost grades/scores before re-applying successfully, but i doubt you fit in that category (your numbers are solid). i'm no admissions person, but i'd guess that what you're doing now will bolster your app. just make sure you're able to write about that in your essay(s). good luck to you.

I'm in the same/similar situation. I just wonder why you're not giving your top choices from last round another shot. You were short clinical experience before but now you have plenty plus some interesting experiences to talk about in addition to your research. Did you rewrite your personal statement?

dopaminesurge said:

an automatic rejection? probably, yes. you might as well give up and save the money.

seriously, from your mdapps, your "safety" schools are mid tier privates. if you're that concerned, hedge your bet a bit.

medstylee said:
yeah, definitely. one of the things i was told by admissions committees is that, between applications, it's essential to stay involved with medically-related ECs (volunteering, work, etc). it's a sign to them that you're really interested in medicine and that you're determined to get yourself into school. honestly, you have an understandable reason for why your grades might have dropped at the end. i don't think you should worry about that. some people obviously need to take measures to boost grades/scores before re-applying successfully, but i doubt you fit in that category (your numbers are solid). i'm no admissions person, but i'd guess that what you're doing now will bolster your app. just make sure you're able to write about that in your essay(s). good luck to you.

Thanks, this trip is definitely making secondary essays a little easier and I think I set my sights pretty realistically as far as target schools go... I'm finally under review by AMCAS a month after submitting so hopefully the next big problem I face is figuring out how to schedule interviews and fly back from China.

Yea... I've heard about the re-applicant stigma in the states...I find it kind of weird because in Canada, I'd probably say your chances might be a little better if you are applying for the 2nd time.

BaylorGuy said:
Listen, if you have done absolutely nothing between Year 1 and Year 2 of applying then you are wasting a year of application including a buttload of money because there will probably be no school that will take you if you have done nothing to improve your application.

As a reapplicant, you are most probably not the highest on the list, however, you need to sell yourself as the best thing for the school...how? In your extra year you A)got better grades, better MCAT, etc, B) some sort of work experience or volunteer experience or gotten some sort of experience, or C) the extra time has made you a better person/applicant because of some special thing that happened.

Again, if you've done nothing to improve your app, you are wasting your time
I think this is the the source of the stigma. I think a lot of reapplicants who are waitlisted or hoping that they're going to get in but are doing nothing to work on their application find themselves reapplying with the same stats and another year under their belt. If you've improved your application, I don't think there would be too much of a stigma.