SOAP 2016 Thread - questions, advice, support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for anyone who knows: If I SOAP into an advanced ACGME program, am I able to enter an AOA-accredited internship year? Will I have any issues with board certification or fellowship applications, if I do this, in the future? Or should I try to stick to ACGME internship years if at all possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all

1 Are everyone's unfilled last different based on "eligibility"? The yellow SOAP note on the eras homepage says we can apply only to "eligible " programs...does that mean we can't apply to new programs? What is this eligibility based on?

2 dumb question but if I only have LORS for peds I can't apply to other fields ya?

3 do interviews still go on on wed n thursday after offer rounds open up? Or is tuseday the only hope?

4 for those who have interviews are they usually skype or phone interviews?

5 are the limited positions on the unfilled list getting filled out of soap? Do we have access to updated lists...?

Thank you n best of luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am IMG and re-applied to General Surgery preliminary after starting SOAP. NRMP official website says that "Applicants cannot communicate with programs until contacted by programs".
I heard that it is difficult for IMG to get a position in SOAP. So, do I have to ask my program director to contact U.S. program director before they contact me? Or, do I have to wait for their response?

Step1:234
Step2CK:234
Every steps: 1st try
PGY3
Publication:2

I am IMG and re-applied to General Surgery preliminary after starting SOAP. NRMP official website says that "Applicants cannot communicate with programs until contacted by programs".
I heard that it is difficult for IMG to get a position in SOAP. So, do I have to ask my program director to contact U.S. program director before they contact me? Or, do I have to wait for their response?

Step1:234
Step2CK:234
Every steps: 1st try
PGY3
Publication:2

Wait for them to make the first move. Doing otherwise could be reported as a match violation.

I'm an IMG. Failed CK initially, and low passes for both step 1 & 2 retake. Poor test taker. Have good LORs and now did not match. I had just 1 interview offer after Ck retake in October. Someone with my stats..I wonder if there could be a chance i would get an offer. I would take anything and go anywhere. Not sure what is possible for me in the future as scores do not change.

I'm an IMG. Failed CK initially, and low passes for both step 1 & 2 retake. Poor test taker. Have good LORs and now did not match. I had just 1 interview offer after Ck retake in October. Someone with my stats..I wonder if there could be a chance i would get an offer. I would take anything and go anywhere. Not sure what is possible for me in the future as scores do not change.

check your inbox.

Has anyone gotten any more phone calls as of this morning?

Hi all

1 Are everyone's unfilled last different based on "eligibility"? The yellow SOAP note on the eras homepage says we can apply only to "eligible " programs...does that mean we can't apply to new programs? What is this eligibility based on?

2 dumb question but if I only have LORS for peds I can't apply to other fields ya?

3 do interviews still go on on wed n thursday after offer rounds open up? Or is tuseday the only hope?

4 for those who have interviews are they usually skype or phone interviews?

5 are the limited positions on the unfilled list getting filled out of soap? Do we have access to updated lists...?

Thank you n best of luck

1. The Eligibility you are referring to is for the type of SOAP program. If you matched to a prelim year in the match, you'd only be eligible for Advanced programs in SOAP. If you didn't match at all, you'd be eligible for all types of programs -- Prelim, Categorical, Advanced, and Reserved. It has nothing to do with whether the program is new or not.

2. You can apply for anything you want. Whether programs will take your application seriously is unclear. If you applied to Radiology, for example, I imagine that the Rads PD might question whether you're really interested in Rads or not. If you apply to prelim IM/GS, add something to your PS stating that you were (obviously) applying to peds but now you're looking for a general year, they might consider you. But you might be lower on their list -- as they expect that you'll be applying to the Peds programs also and they would be your 1st choice.

3. Yes, programs will continue to interview on Wed (esp AM before rounds) and probably afterwards also. However most spots are gone in the first two rounds (at least that's what happened last year), so I expect the volume of interviews will drop off considerably.

4. Either/both.

5. Positions can ONLY be filled in SOAP. All of the open positions on the list are still open. Once they start to fill in SOAP rounds on Wednesday, the lists will be updated. For programs that decided not to participate in SOAP, they are supposed to not fill those spots until after SOAP concludes on Thursday. At that point, the unfilled list will be updated with all of the non-SOAP positions, and it will be a free for all to fill them. However, one main reason a program would not participate in SOAP is that they might decide not to fill the position at all -- so unclear how useful contacting these programs will be.

Reactions: 1 users
Question for anyone who knows: If I SOAP into an advanced ACGME program, am I able to enter an AOA-accredited internship year? Will I have any issues with board certification or fellowship applications, if I do this, in the future? Or should I try to stick to ACGME internship years if at all possible?

The new ACGME rules slated to go into effect 2016 state that any base year must be ACGME (or the Canadian equivalent). This is one of the big drivers for the merger. Assuming that the AOA program were to apply for ACGME certification, it wouldn't be a problem.

Hey everyone, does anyone know if we can have an attending contacting the programs that you are interested in on SOAP prior to them calling you for an interview? so far no phone calls or emails and one of my mentors is really adamant about wanting to contact them.

these crickets are driving me F'in insane. no phone calls. just silence here. this is so messed up

Hey everyone, does anyone know if we can have an attending contacting the programs that you are interested in on SOAP prior to them calling you for an interview? so far no phone calls or emails and one of my mentors is really adamant about wanting to contact them.

They are not supposed to do this. But it happens. Will it help? Probably not.

Nope, that is a violation. But once they call you you are free to do this, I'd simply ask the program if they would be interested in hearing from your mentor.

check your inbox.

I am in a similar situation.. took step 1 passed but nothing stellar, retook step 2. ended up with 217 on it. Missed passing score by 2 points on first try. Anyway, I am a fast learner, just not a good test taker it seems, work well with others, and I am confident I would make a good resident, but the numbers are not on my side. Now wondering moving forward what can be done to improve my appeal to PDs and secure a position!
Any advice /strategies appreciated.

Reactions: 2 users
SOAPing for FM. Got a few calls last night and a couple this morning so far.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No calls yet. Got Advanced radio spot but not prelim. Applied to prelim Surg and prelim IM in the SOAP...
Good luck to you all..

Looks like there are less than 10 spots in PMR in SOAP.
Guys any calls from PMR programs?
Pls share!

i have received no phone calls or emails at all. I dont understand whats going on. AMG. f*** this process and life right now

i have received no phone calls or emails at all. I dont understand whats going on. AMG. f*** this process and life right now
I think part of the delay might be the trickle down effect from all the shenanigans from yesterday. So this might be anticipated in light of. Sadly it may also mean things are tighter on this end and programs might not interview as many due to time constraints.

Another AMG, anesthesia hopeful with no emails/phonecalls.

So it's morning which is typically the busiest time of day for docs/PDs. Rounds are going on and cases are in full swing in the OR, not to mention the other administrative stuff they got going on. I'd be surprised if they get to us before 1pm to be honest. And again given the delays of yesterday, I think there will be fewer calls...
I doubt our apps have been looked at except for some rare cases. Keep the faith though.

Any derm calls yet?
Calls are a program independent thing, not a specialty thing. Just because someone got a call from a certain specialty doesn't mean they are being done collectively. It's a matter of when the PD or whomever gets around to it.

Applied for IM, FM, haven't heard anything yet, the silence sucks! Good Luck to Everyone

So it's morning which is typically the busiest time of day for docs/PDs. Rounds are going on and cases are in full swing in the OR, not to mention the other administrative stuff they got going on. I'd be surprised if they get to us before 1pm to be honest. And again given the delays of yesterday, I think there will be fewer calls...
I doubt our apps have been looked at except for some rare cases. Keep the faith though.

I'd be shocked if PD's haven't cleared their schedules to deal with SOAP. It's extremely stressful for them, just like the applicants. And I sort of think the applicants have a bit of an upper-hand in that they can get multiple offers to select from with the SOAP. PD's would be stupid to not jump on the process as soon as is possible.

I'd be shocked if PD's haven't cleared their schedules to deal with SOAP. It's extremely stressful for them, just like the applicants. And I sort of think the applicants have a bit of an upper-hand in that they can get multiple offers to select from with the SOAP. PD's would be stupid to not jump on the process as soon as is possible.
So what's to explain the radio silence?

1. The Eligibility you are referring to is for the type of SOAP program. If you matched to a prelim year in the match, you'd only be eligible for Advanced programs in SOAP. If you didn't match at all, you'd be eligible for all types of programs -- Prelim, Categorical, Advanced, and Reserved. It has nothing to do with whether the program is new or not.

2. You can apply for anything you want. Whether programs will take your application seriously is unclear. If you applied to Radiology, for example, I imagine that the Rads PD might question whether you're really interested in Rads or not. If you apply to prelim IM/GS, add something to your PS stating that you were (obviously) applying to peds but now you're looking for a general year, they might consider you. But you might be lower on their list -- as they expect that you'll be applying to the Peds programs also and they would be your 1st choice.

3. Yes, programs will continue to interview on Wed (esp AM before rounds) and probably afterwards also. However most spots are gone in the first two rounds (at least that's what happened last year), so I expect the volume of interviews will drop off considerably.

4. Either/both.

5. Positions can ONLY be filled in SOAP. All of the open positions on the list are still open. Once they start to fill in SOAP rounds on Wednesday, the lists will be updated. For programs that decided not to participate in SOAP, they are supposed to not fill those spots until after SOAP concludes on Thursday. At that point, the unfilled list will be updated with all of the non-SOAP positions, and it will be a free for all to fill them. However, one main reason a program would not participate in SOAP is that they might decide not to fill the position at all -- so unclear how useful contacting these programs will be.
Thank you for the clarifications.

Good luck to everyone during SOAP! Anyone receive preliminary surgery invites and if you don't mind sharing your status IMG,AMG and step scores.
Thanks. For my part, I am a Caribbean graduate YOG 2015 from a big 4 school with step 1,2 :234,233, step 3 203

Good luck to everyone during SOAP! Anyone receive preliminary surgery invites and if you don't mind sharing your status IMG,AMG and step scores.
Thanks. For my part, I am a Caribbean graduate YOG 2015 from a big 4 school with step 1,2 :234,233, step 3 203

I'm a 4th year AMG (DO student) applying for surgery prelim positions. One contact by email last night (but haven't heard back for an actual interview yet) and one call this morning for an interview. Step 1: 224, Step 2: 236, great LORs. We'll see...

Best wishes to all those going through this mess. It must have been a rough year- 19 of 185 unmatched in my class. Some are ROAD-type applicants, but many aren't, and many are AOA superstars.

Hey, you've all gotten this far by making the best of the cards you were dealt in many different situations. This is no different. Anyone whose made it this far has more than enough intelligence and grit to move on and excel.

I'd love to hear from past and current SOAP participants about ways that friends and classmates can help those going through this difficult process.

Reactions: 3 users
That is good news.. hopefully we can match!
I'm a 4th year AMG (DO student) applying for surgery prelim positions. One contact by email last night (but haven't heard back for an actual interview yet) and one call this morning for an interview. Step 1: 224, Step 2: 236, great LORs. We'll see...

After a SOAP interview is it ok to email a place and tell them they are your #1?

After a SOAP interview is it ok to email a place and tell them they are your #1?

I suppose, but you won't be asked to rank offers like in the the main match. Come tomorrow, when the first round of offers go out, if more than one place wants you you'll see offers from them all, you can then choose the one you want most. So you don't have a #1 program, as much as you just have a program you'd be most excited to receive an offer from.

However, I would be leery of over the top overtures to programs. Expressing interest in the form of a thank you email with some specifics as to why you could see yourself happy and successful there isn't a bad idea. But getting too lovey dovey, especially when programs are likely rifling through a few hundred applicants in like a day and a half might just be annoying.

Probably just haven't gotten to your call just yet. But plenty of folks are getting calls, yours will hopefully come soon.
How do you know plenty of folks are getting calls?

anyone applied for psych ??

Yes, but with the tiny number of spots available through SOAP, I think it's definitely prudent to be looking at family medicine programs as well. I've gotten a couple of FM calls so far this morning so I'm feeling much better about life than yesterday.

Caribbean student here (Canadian - FMG). Applied for psych and FM for SOAP (just psych in match). Step 1 234, Step 2ck 235, Step 2 cs pass (all 1st time pass). One call from FM program last night to schedule an IV with PD...nothing else so far.

AMG here. Applied EM and FM during match, was unsuccessful. Keeping up with FM now. Had calls and emails from last night and today. Chin up everyone! Things are happening!

Yes, but with the tiny number of spots available through SOAP, I think it's definitely prudent to be looking at family medicine programs as well. I've gotten a couple of FM calls so far this morning so I'm feeling much better about life than yesterday.

Oh nice :). Hopefully I get a call soon. I've applied to a good amount of FM programs.

AMG applied to EM, 222 and 246 Steps. Now applying to about half prelims split between surgery and IM and half categorical (mostly Anesthesia with some random others thrown in). Haven't heard anything yet.

I'm a US-IMG who applied to categorical IM, FM, prelim IM and surgery, neuro, and some TY's. Basically the kitchen sink. I haven't heard anything yet either.