SOAP 2016 Thread - questions, advice, support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At 1pm EST I will start panicking.
Due to ERAS support issues, panicking has been delayed to 1:15 EST

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I've been refreshing my email constantly. I'm hoping for an IM position.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone wants to join a whatsapp group for the SOAP let me know. There are a few of us IMGs in a group PM ME.

Any idea how it looks to a program that you are reapplying to in SOAP? Didn't get an interview there the first time but am really interested in it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any idea how it looks to a program that you are reapplying to in SOAP? Didn't get an interview there the first time but am really interested in it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm hoping it doesn't matter at this point? But I don't know to be frank, lol.

I think it's time to start panicking.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an email from a program thanking me for interviewing with them when I didn't. Don't know what to think of it. Addressed me by my name correctly.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email from a program thanking me for interviewing with them when I didn't. Don't know what to think of it.
reading this made me laugh for the first time since all of this started.

1:30pm and no contact whatsoever....I have them right where I want them

Does anyone know our chances of matching objectively? (strictly asking for numbers... seems like it's not good)

>US grad
>Passed all shelfs and STEPs on the first try, mostly average scores
>Applied to psych
>All interviewers said I "would be able to get my first choice anywhere with this application"
>didn't match
>only 7 psych spots left open in the entire country.
>Applied to all of those plus every prelim program and lots of IM
>24 hours after submitting my application, and not a single email, call, or message from any program
>Me right now:

Does anyone know our chances of matching objectively? (strictly asking for numbers... seems like it's not good)
I found this from another thread and read it for strength. I don't know if it's true but here it is for what it's worth.

"But the reality is that year after year 95% of US-MD students match. 80% match to one of their top 3 choices.

And among the 5% who don't match, over 2/3 of them pick up spots in the SOAP. And among the 1/3 who don't, a lot of those are because they chose to defer graduation or do research for a year to try to reapply. A good chunk of these students are competitive applicants who didn't match derm or ENT the first time around and reapply smarter the second time around and secure very good spots.

The "floor" for US-MDs is still very high. This is just a stressful time of year when all we are hearing is the bad news. The good news is coming in a few hours. Hang in there everyone."

>US grad
>Applied to psych
>All interviewers said I "would be able to get my first choice anywhere with this application"
>didn't match
>24 hours after submitting my application, and not a single email, call, or message from any program
>Me right now:

There must be something wrong with your application. You should have at least matched or SOAP'd in anything if what you say above is true. (passed all tests on first try, US grad, decent interviews). You are leaving out something.

This must be what Marco Rubio feels like.

Reactions: 14 users
This must be what Marco Rubio feels like.

Hey, at least he has a hot wife to go back to, even if he doesn't become the nominee. I on the other hand, don't have a significant other :(.

***crickets chirping***
I got a cold call from a PD about an hour ago & he offered to have 2 residents call me this afternoon to talk about the program. There may be hope yet even if you've had no news, especially if you applied to programs with only a small number of openings...they may be wanting to weigh options to invest heavily in 1 or 2 candidates.

>US grad
>Applied to psych
>didn't match
>Me right now:

D

I got a cold call from a PD about an hour ago & he offered to have 2 residents call me this afternoon to talk about the program. There may be hope yet even if you've had no news, especially if you applied to programs with only a small number of openings...they may be wanting to weigh options to invest heavily in 1 or 2 candidates.
If I may ask, what specialty was that in?

US grad...DO student, applied psych
210 step 1, didn't take step 2 but passed comlex(DO step2) , failed PE but passed 2nd time
Interviewed at 7 MD programs and had good feedback from all.
No match
Nothing from SOAP applied to psych, TY, and IM prelim.
Starting to feel like a line from the movie "Snatch"......that being "Proper ****ed!"

I did. This sucks, only 7 spots. When did psych become so competitive??

Might be because it generally has a good lifestyle (or at least, that seems to be a widely-held perception)?

Either way, I wish the best of luck to all of you.

I'm getting really worried, radio silence over here. If we don't get a spot in SOAP, do we just wait around and hope for an opening between now and July?

I'm getting really worried, radio silence over here. If we don't get a spot in SOAP, do we just wait around and hope for an opening between now and July?

then we reapply in september :( i feel like its the same 5 ppl that every program is calling. the rest of us are just here for emotional support. This system is garbage

So um.... any chance of landing an anesthesia spot in NYC still? I really wanted to go there for familial reasons... :(

US DO student...both Step and Comlex passed first time
224 step 1, 216 step 2, passed equivalent CS exam for DO's
Top quartile of class, good LOR's (I think...maybe), One of 7 students in second year class awarded for excellence in coursework
Ranked 10 programs, all western US.

Just got one call from an FM program
No other calls, no emails.

then we reapply in september :( i feel like its the same 5 ppl that every program is calling. the rest of us are just here for emotional support. This system is garbage

It's going to be so hard to go through another cycle of this. :( I'm already thinking about how I can improve my app for next year...never thought I'd have to do that! It sucks, but it's nice to have support on here. Everyone here deserves a spot, we were just unlucky.

US DO student...both Step and Comlex passed first time
224 step 1, 216 step 2, passed equivalent CS exam for DO's
Top quartile of class, good LOR's (I think...maybe), One of 7 students in second year class awarded for excellence in coursework
Ranked 10 programs, all western US.

Just got one call from an FM program
No other calls, no emails.

Wow, that sucks :(.

Sorry to hear about this. If you really want to do psych and have no luck in soap you should r apply for Detroit health authority/ Michigan state psych program. They are associated with the DMC and other big hospitals and seem to always have DO spots open after the match. Since they a funded by the affordable care act you might be able to go ahead and contact them without being a Math violation (without Having to wait for soap to end.... Double check this though$")... Osteopathic spot!!

210 step 1, didn't take step 2 but passed comlex(DO step2) , failed PE but passed 2nd time
No match
Starting to feel like a line from the movie "Snatch"......that being "Proper ****ed!"

All the best

Last edited by a moderator:
Applied across the board on SOAP but now hoping for peds. Anyone hear from any peds? This whole process is awful.

No match
First of all, you're a DO, not a US grad. Stop that. You're not the first person to make that error this year and it's misleading.

Second...with a Step 1 score that mediocre, you probably should have gone all in on the AOA match. Water under the bridge for you of course, but a cautionary tale nonetheless.

Third...you're a DO grad. Go grab a sloppy seconds TRI and move on.

Applied across the board on SOAP but now hoping for peds. Anyone hear from any peds? This whole process is awful.

Have heard from a couple of peds programs. Good luck!! We will get through this week.