CaliAtenza

master member
10+ Year Member
May 27, 2004
Bakersfield, CA
AMG applied to EM, 222 and 246 Steps. Now applying to about half prelims split between surgery and IM and half categorical (mostly Anesthesia with some random others thrown in). Haven't heard anything yet.
I'm a US-IMG who applied to categorical IM, FM, prelim IM and surgery, neuro, and some TY's. Basically the kitchen sink. I haven't heard anything yet either.

Mar 25, 2014
Status
Medical Student
If anyone wants to join a whatsapp group for the SOAP let me know. There are a few of us IMGs in a group PM ME.

WusUpDoc

7+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Any idea how it looks to a program that you are reapplying to in SOAP? Didn't get an interview there the first time but am really interested in it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Jan 5, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know our chances of matching objectively? (strictly asking for numbers... seems like it's not good)

Okone

5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2010
Status
>US grad
>Passed all shelfs and STEPs on the first try, mostly average scores
>Applied to psych
>All interviewers said I "would be able to get my first choice anywhere with this application"
>didn't match
>only 7 psych spots left open in the entire country.
>Applied to all of those plus every prelim program and lots of IM
>24 hours after submitting my application, and not a single email, call, or message from any program
>Me right now:

PAGuyana

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know our chances of matching objectively? (strictly asking for numbers... seems like it's not good)
I found this from another thread and read it for strength. I don't know if it's true but here it is for what it's worth.

"But the reality is that year after year 95% of US-MD students match. 80% match to one of their top 3 choices.

And among the 5% who don't match, over 2/3 of them pick up spots in the SOAP. And among the 1/3 who don't, a lot of those are because they chose to defer graduation or do research for a year to try to reapply. A good chunk of these students are competitive applicants who didn't match derm or ENT the first time around and reapply smarter the second time around and secure very good spots.

The "floor" for US-MDs is still very high. This is just a stressful time of year when all we are hearing is the bad news. The good news is coming in a few hours. Hang in there everyone."

woo

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Medical Student
>US grad
>Applied to psych
>All interviewers said I "would be able to get my first choice anywhere with this application"
>didn't match
>24 hours after submitting my application, and not a single email, call, or message from any program
>Me right now:

There must be something wrong with your application. You should have at least matched or SOAP'd in anything if what you say above is true. (passed all tests on first try, US grad, decent interviews). You are leaving out something.

igcgnerd

Hawkeye
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
CA
Status
Medical Student
Good news comes in a few hours?

Apr 14, 2012
Status
Medical Student
***crickets chirping***
I got a cold call from a PD about an hour ago & he offered to have 2 residents call me this afternoon to talk about the program. There may be hope yet even if you've had no news, especially if you applied to programs with only a small number of openings...they may be wanting to weigh options to invest heavily in 1 or 2 candidates.

Apr 25, 2015
>US grad
>Applied to psych
>didn't match
>Me right now:
D

Mar 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I got a cold call from a PD about an hour ago & he offered to have 2 residents call me this afternoon to talk about the program. There may be hope yet even if you've had no news, especially if you applied to programs with only a small number of openings...they may be wanting to weigh options to invest heavily in 1 or 2 candidates.
If I may ask, what specialty was that in?

Mar 8, 2012
Status
US grad...DO student, applied psych
210 step 1, didn't take step 2 but passed comlex(DO step2) , failed PE but passed 2nd time
Interviewed at 7 MD programs and had good feedback from all.
No match
Nothing from SOAP applied to psych, TY, and IM prelim.
Starting to feel like a line from the movie "Snatch"......that being "Proper ****ed!"

Sitagliptin

7+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did. This sucks, only 7 spots. When did psych become so competitive??
Might be because it generally has a good lifestyle (or at least, that seems to be a widely-held perception)?

Either way, I wish the best of luck to all of you.

Mar 14, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I'm getting really worried, radio silence over here. If we don't get a spot in SOAP, do we just wait around and hope for an opening between now and July?

very.nerdy

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2016
Status
MD/PhD Student
I'm getting really worried, radio silence over here. If we don't get a spot in SOAP, do we just wait around and hope for an opening between now and July?
then we reapply in september :( i feel like its the same 5 ppl that every program is calling. the rest of us are just here for emotional support. This system is garbage

Jan 5, 2016
Status
Medical Student
So um.... any chance of landing an anesthesia spot in NYC still? I really wanted to go there for familial reasons... :(

Fatalis

7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wishing you guys all the best! Heartbreaking to see talented people go through such BS! Rooting for you guys!!!

Mar 15, 2016
US DO student...both Step and Comlex passed first time
224 step 1, 216 step 2, passed equivalent CS exam for DO's
Top quartile of class, good LOR's (I think...maybe), One of 7 students in second year class awarded for excellence in coursework
Ranked 10 programs, all western US.

Just got one call from an FM program
No other calls, no emails.

Mar 14, 2016
Status
Medical Student
then we reapply in september :( i feel like its the same 5 ppl that every program is calling. the rest of us are just here for emotional support. This system is garbage
It's going to be so hard to go through another cycle of this. :( I'm already thinking about how I can improve my app for next year...never thought I'd have to do that! It sucks, but it's nice to have support on here. Everyone here deserves a spot, we were just unlucky.

Reactions: Sitagliptin

CaliAtenza

master member
10+ Year Member
May 27, 2004
Bakersfield, CA
US DO student...both Step and Comlex passed first time
224 step 1, 216 step 2, passed equivalent CS exam for DO's
Top quartile of class, good LOR's (I think...maybe), One of 7 students in second year class awarded for excellence in coursework
Ranked 10 programs, all western US.

Just got one call from an FM program
No other calls, no emails.
Wow, that sucks :(.

pipe83

Sep 30, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Sorry to hear about this. If you really want to do psych and have no luck in soap you should r apply for Detroit health authority/ Michigan state psych program. They are associated with the DMC and other big hospitals and seem to always have DO spots open after the match. Since they a funded by the affordable care act you might be able to go ahead and contact them without being a Math violation (without Having to wait for soap to end.... Double check this though$")... Osteopathic spot!!

210 step 1, didn't take step 2 but passed comlex(DO step2) , failed PE but passed 2nd time
No match
Starting to feel like a line from the movie "Snatch"......that being "Proper ****ed!"

Mar 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Applied across the board on SOAP but now hoping for peds. Anyone hear from any peds? This whole process is awful.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
No match
First of all, you're a DO, not a US grad. Stop that. You're not the first person to make that error this year and it's misleading.

Second...with a Step 1 score that mediocre, you probably should have gone all in on the AOA match. Water under the bridge for you of course, but a cautionary tale nonetheless.

Third...you're a DO grad. Go grab a sloppy seconds TRI and move on.