Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yikes. If you got an offer at this stage, I'd definitely take it. Who cares if its "not as chill" 1st year is def not chill breh.Don't think its kosher to reveal the name of places in SOAP right now...
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yikes. If you got an offer at this stage, I'd definitely take it. Who cares if its "not as chill" 1st year is def not chill breh.Don't think its kosher to reveal the name of places in SOAP right now...
i just got an offer from montefiore. but i know i am getting an offer from barnabas tomr. how is montefiore. looking for more chill prelim of the two
Normandie didn't go all that well 🙁
What does that mean? I thought they weren't supposed to contact programs?My school just called me and said "we're going to war tomorrow" to find everyone a residency who had to SOAP. I felt excited like I was about to rush Normandie.
How many Psych interviews did you get during regular match? Why did you not apply FM as backup?Caribbean student here (Canadian - FMG). Applied for psych and FM for SOAP (just psych in match). Step 1 234, Step 2ck 235, Step 2 cs pass (all 1st time pass). One call from FM program last night to schedule an IV with PD...nothing else so far.
I honestly wouldn't bet my career on "knowing" that you're going to get another offer tomorrow. Also at this point I seriously wouldn't concern myself w/ finding a chill intern year when you're in imminent danger of having no intern year. Take what you're offered and be thankful.
i just got an offer from montefiore. but i know i am getting an offer from barnabas tomr. how is montefiore. looking for more chill prelim of the two
Everyone! Keep chins up! I was very underwhelmed after 1st round. Had 12 FM interviews and 1 offer. Within minutes my top 2 programs called to offer for 2nd round! Miracles do happen! Keep at it! Like @MCATbound said, schools will go to battle for you! Get your advisors involved now!
After the 5pm deadline we will go to war, without NRMP or Geneva Convention violations, and rush the PDs.What does that mean? I thought they weren't supposed to contact programs?
Take the offer. I have a friend who was told verbally today that she would definitely be getting an offer from that program first round, and then same thing second round. She never received an official offer. I wouldn't bet all my money on tomorrow's anticipated offer if I were you.i just got an offer from montefiore. but i know i am getting an offer from barnabas tomr. how is montefiore. looking for more chill prelim of the two
How many Psych interviews did you get during regular match? Why did you not apply FM as backup?
If we remain unmatched after Thursday and if there are still open spots left, what can we do as an applicant?
Thanks!
For any DO interested and not having soap luck
*SENT ON BEHALF OF BRIAN EARLEY, DO*
I am contacting you again from Ocala, Florida. My name is Brian Earley and I am the program director of the Ocala Regional Family Medicine Program (AOA #370124) in Ocala, Florida. This is a 6-6-6 community based program in central Florida with an emphasis on “Bringing Family Back to Family Medicine”. We are recruiting our second class of residents. We have 6 strong residents in our inaugural class, recruited 5 fantastic residents through the NMS match/post-match, and are looking to fill our second class with 1 additional well-rounded, personable, hard-working resident who is excited to join a growing program.
Program is expected to become dually accredited in the next year, in anticipation of the AOA/ACGME merger
Of course please follow all rules! I just want to give options to DO's who don't have luck in the Soap so they can contact these programs as soon as the Soap is done if interested!For those tempted, please remember it's a violation to contact AOA positions until after SOAP is over tomorrow!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
where did you get that information from? I'm not too interested in Fam if I have a shot at IM or Psych, but would like to know my sources to go to after SOAP is over..Of course please follow all rules! I just want to give options to DO's who don't have luck in the Soap so they can contact these programs as soon as the Soap is done if interested!
I get emails from my school here is a couple more :where did you get that information from? I'm not too interested in Fam if I have a shot at IM or Psych, but would like to know my sources to go to after SOAP is over..
where did you get that information from? I'm not too interested in Fam if I have a shot at IM or Psych, but would like to know my sources to go to after SOAP is over..
i just got an offer from montefiore. but i know i am getting an offer from barnabas tomr. how is montefiore. looking for more chill prelim of the two
How do we go about collecting all of the information necessary to apply once SOAP is over?
i just got an offer from montefiore. but i know i am getting an offer from barnabas tomr. how is montefiore. looking for more chill prelim of the two
I also have same question. Someone who have done soap before, please give some info about this. Thank you.
You are free to contact programs after 5pm ET without any limitations. At 6pm NRMP will provide the list of still-open positions, and I believe that will include the programs that didn't participate in SOAP. DOs will also be free to contact unfilled osteopathic residency programs.
Yes. SOAP ends Thurs at 5pm.This is 5 PM EST tomorrow, correct?
No, you cannot. The merger has not happened yet. You're stuck with ACGME unless you're a DO.Does anyone know if MDs can apply to DO programs once the soap is over? I'm assuming this is what people refer to when they say the acgme and aoa are merging?
This is true.
I am a:
US-AMG graduation date 2015
Step 1 - 239
Step 2 CK - 221
Step 2 CS - Passed on first attempt
Three published publications, two as first author, one resulting in a NYT article
Won two research fellowships
And the closest I got to a position second time in SOAP was an attending making some calls against my wishes (since that's a violation). No dice, but that's because the positions filled in the first round. If you are a red flag your only hope for getting within 100 miles of a residency is connections, and if you are normal, you will be shortchanged if you try to go it without help.
I'm sorry they can't. Merger means that all DO programs apply for acgme accreditation. Only programs that have achieve initial accreditation can receive MDs and I believe that's going to begging happening next year. I don't know if any who receive initial accreditation have open spots left but you can try and seeDoes anyone know if MDs can apply to DO programs once the soap is over? I'm assuming this is what people refer to when they say the acgme and aoa are merging?
Does anyone know if MDs can apply to DO programs once the soap is over? I'm assuming this is what people refer to when they say the acgme and aoa are merging?
is anyone getting anymore calls now?
What did you apply for in the match?
according to SOAP schedule after it end at 5pm tmr, "Programs: May begin creating positions for partially-matched applicants." what does this mean? i am matched in an advanced program and now pgy1 so far. What makes program do that? and how?
seems like Canadian Caribbean grads are getting discriminated...
according to SOAP schedule after it end at 5pm tmr, "Programs: May begin creating positions for partially-matched applicants." what does this mean? i am matched in an advanced program and now pgy1 so far. What makes program do that? and how?
Neurology, prelim, transitional, categorical medicine, because I thought a year of being an actual researcher would help me get in an institution where it was at least possible. I even got an interview at a fast track to fellowship program and was the only non-MD/PhD there. Every single interview had some connection to somebody that wrote a letter for me.
Did you email/call all the PDs from the programs you applied to last year to see how you could have improved your application?
I emailed the PDs I interviewed with last time and got no responses. Not even from my home institution, which hurt a lot, though the clerkship director for neurology tried to cheer me up and the clerkship director from medicine helped me write my personal statement for this round. My mentor didn't have any more advice and wished me luck.
Full disclosure, I know what's wrong with my application. I'm a walking red flag. Mediocre clerkship scores (never failed one though), some mediocre comments, and a mediocre dean's letter - and if your Dean's letter isn't glowing, it's a death sentence. The one thing I am proud of is that none of it is personality related, and I've never had anything close to an incident in that regard.
The point is, though, I never really got to know or work with medicine or neurology attendings outside of regular clerkship duties. There was no continuity there. My clerkship director was just my clerkship director, the chair was just the chair, and so on. This mistake has cost me dearly.
Although SOAP is unpleasant to go through, at least the NRMP systems worked this year. Sounds like most offers were out right on time, unlike the mess that was last year.
The canadian gov't limited the number of LON's for J Visas. Given the uncertainty, we declined to interview any canadians requiring a J visa this year. Other programs might have done the same.
Congrats on the call! Just a few questions for the sake of reassuring myself though: 1. Are you an FMG, US-IMG, DO, or AMG? 2. What are your stats on boards if you don't mind sharing?I just got off the phone from an interview with a FM program I hadn't heard from before the end of Round 2. Don't give up hope!
Although SOAP is unpleasant to go through, at least the NRMP systems worked this year. Sounds like most offers were out right on time, unlike the mess that was last year.
The canadian gov't limited the number of LON's for J Visas. Given the uncertainty, we declined to interview any canadians requiring a J visa this year. Other programs might have done the same.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.