SOAP 2020 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vbomn1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who need to commiserate or to offer support/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I was right here in the thick of it last year. Feel free to reach out with questions about this process. It sucks, but keep your heads up and keep fighting.

Reactions: 4 users
I posted this last year too and a lot of people contacting me saying they found this reassuring:

Anyone who didn't match, do not be discouraged! My husband did not match last year, and also did not find a program in SOAP. But he fortunately found a program 2 week after match. There are still a lot of positions and programs that will open up over the next few months before June. Be positive and don't give up! You have to be diligent and keep an active look out for programs. He would check eras EVERY SINGLE DAY for new programs that showed up and also signed up for and would check freida, needaresident.com, residencyswap and whatever else he could find. He eventually found an FM position that worked out and started in June just like he wanted. DO NOT GIVE UP! You made it this far, keep pushing forward.

Reactions: 11 users
If there’s anything I can do to help anyone during this time let me know. If you need my English professor SO he’s willing to read over documents if you need help. If you need help researching programs, or just need someone to vent to just message me.

Reactions: 2 users
Back in the SOAP again... Well at least I have a year of internship done if this SOAP doesn't work out.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
If there’s anything I can do to help anyone during this time let me know. If you need my English professor SO he’s willing to read over documents if you need help. If you need help researching programs, or just need someone to vent to just message me.
So you got your psych spot? Congrats!

Same if any of you guys need to talk I'll be available.

Soaping is tough. but in many cases it's a bright new opportunity to find a new field that might be a better fit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
No calls for me. I do not think I have strong personal statement for other specialties than what I have initially planned.

Still nothing yet. I've only applied to 38 programs. Need to apply to 7 more. Should I "use" them up now or save for after round 1?

Use up your 45!! You have the highest chances of getting a spot in the 1st round. Don't wait until round 3 to get a spot.

Reactions: 11 users
what happens if you go unmatched through 3 rounds?

whats the likelihood of scrambling? slim?

Use up your 45!! You have the highest chances of getting a spot in the 1st round. Don't wait until round 3 to get a spot.
Exactly this. The fact that ERAS lists interviews on the schedule before the 2nd and 3rd rounds of soap is incredibly misleading. My bet is 99% of programs interview all of whom they are going to offer to before the 1st round.

No calls for me either. Got into prelim but not my advanced program, anybody on the same boat?

Program directors got access to ERAS for applications at 3PM. We also have clinical duties, and there's this thing called "COVID-19" that's causing some disruptions.

You're not going to get interview calls in the first few hours. I know that this seems like a time crunch, but one of the good things about SOAP is that there is no rush to contact applicants. We have all of tomorrow, and Wed AM to do so. PD's will likely start reviewing applications today, and I expect some will start reaching out tonight or tomorrow.

Regarding some questions:

Should I use all of my apps now, or save some for later?

There's no right answer. You should absolutely use MOST of them now. The problem is that after the first round is over, programs don't really have enough time to look at new applications, although some PD's might. And after the 2nd round almost everything is gone. So I would use at least 40 of your applications now. In prior years, some people used all 45 at the beginning and then at the end of round 1 had no spot and all of those programs had filled, and wished they had saved some applications -- but unclear if applying to spots that are still open is really useful at all.

Should I write a new PS?

You probably don't have time, so I would just use what you have. Not to mention that one of your LOR's is likely a department letter and tells what field you were originally applying for, so it's not like you can hide it (not an issue if you're SOAPing into the same field). Feel free to add a sentence.

Which programs should I apply to?

This is the big question. I can't answer that for you, but I can talk about what this is like from the PD side. If you're applying to a categorical / advanced program, Id prefer someone who is actually interested in the field or at lest something related. If you applied to FM and try to SOAP into ortho, that's not likely to be successful. I'm looking for people whom seem very likely to come to my program. In the match, I just rank everyone in the order I want them and don't need to worry about how much they want to come. But in SOAP, I only get to give out one offer per open slot I have, and if they decline and take another offer, everyone in the first round who took an offer is off the table. So I'm looking for a sure thing. Geography, fit, experiences are all important. I know this is vague and not very helpful, but it's the best I have.

Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 19 users
I'm also here for anyone who needs help or advice in these stressful times. I was a failed 2014 SOAPer and a successful 2015 matcher, so even if you come away from this week empty-handed, it's not the end of the road.

I'm also here for anyone who needs help or advice in these stressful times. I was a failed 2014 SOAPer and a successful 2015 matcher, so even if you come away from this week empty-handed, it's not the end of the road.
what did you do for work during that year

I was fortunate enough to get a clinically-related job working as a research assistant for physician practice that was participating in a clinical trial. I also did freelance work tutoring and working for test-prep companies.

Around what time do calls from programs start and end on a given day during SOAP week..especially today and tomorrow?

What do you think about prelim programs? I'm 7YOG with 240s and a visa requirement. I know a prelim program is almost a dead-end but there isn't much else I qualify for. Looking at the SOAP programs, I can see many IMG-friendly NYC programs with prelim vacancies in internal medicine; including some i interviewed at. Is it worth it to try to get a prelim spot and work hard for a categorical next year? What are the odds? I'm trying to know whether to roll the dice one last time or just pursue a new career

Received one phone call around 5PM EST--a community FM program in my state.

Reactions: 6 users
"We have selected you to rank during the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP) for a one year preliminary position in our general surgery residency program."

email to ERAS

what is this? No phone call or anything?

Reactions: 1 users
US-IMG. YOG 2014, 22x/23x/pass/not taken Step 3. I am really hoping for SOAP to work for me. IDK if the outcome is good for IMGs. From the 2018 and 2019 thread that I have been reading since 2 pm without food and water, I have reached a conclusion that this is over for me. Anyone who knows an IMG succeeding in SOAP?

Got one call around 5PM ET. Call lasted about 7 minutes. Caller asked a few questions and said they might be in contact again for an interview. Is this a common thing or is it a veiled rejection?

Reactions: 1 users
Got one call around 5PM ET. Call lasted about 7 minutes. Caller asked a few questions and said they might be in contact again for an interview. Is this a common thing or is it a veiled rejection?
I think they wouldn't have called if they had to reject in just 7 minutes. I would advise contacting the program again around 2 hours or tomorrow morning. Stay positive :)

friends, It would be really really helpful to state AMG/IMG in your posts please. It's a request! :panda:

I think they wouldn't have called if they had to reject in just 7 minutes. I would advise contacting the program again around 2 hours or tomorrow morning. Stay positive :)
Thanks for this! It is acceptable under SOAP rules to contact programs if they initiated the first contact, right?

Just received another call. Looks like they are still calling.

Thanks for this! It is acceptable under SOAP rules to contact programs if they initiated the first contact, right?
Yes. Once they have initiated contact, then you can contact them back.

any one applying to prelim surgery