SOAP 2020 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some people in Reddit reported receiving phone calls for FM pretty much right after 3PM. Others stated getting some for prelim, some programs reach out through ERAS, others reported getting texts followed by FaceTime IV.
Which thread?

Members don't see this ad.

YOG 2012; 228, 233, CS Pass (2nd attempt), Not done Step 3

Non US IMG - dont need visa. YOG 2014. Scores 215 step 1, 230 CK, Step 3 done - all 1st attempt. Chances for SOAP?
Applied to 35 categorical IM/Prelim/Transitional programs

Non US IMG - dont need visa. YOG 2014. Scores 215 step 1, 230 CK, Step 3 done - all 1st attempt. Chances for SOAP?
Applied to 35 categorical IM/Prelim/Transitional programs
How many interviews did you get this year?

I have been getting phone calls and email but all about the same thing...funding. If you are in a TRI why does everybody think I don't get funding? Is there some rule I am not aware of that you only get fully funding if you go into a PGY2 spot? Well I can only go into what is available.

US DO, previous applied to categorical IM.

Is it bad if I haven't received any e-mails and phone calls yet for SOAP programs? Submitted all 45 SOAP apps at 3pm EST yesterday.
Half to FM, and half to a mix of IM and prelim. step 1 ~230, step 2 ~ 220 , passed PE after failing

I'm extremely anxious about all of this.

I feel like nobody is getting calls. Don't know whats going on.

Hey,

I have not heard anything yet either. No phone calls, no emails. Used all 45 choices. Really nervous, hoping for the best. Am a US-IMG.

Does anyone know as an allopathic student can you apply to osteopathic programs and match as they have merged, and both are on ERAS?

Last edited:
Does anyone even know anyone who got calls for Internal medicine so far?

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone needs to talk I'm here too.

I'm an AMG who didn't match at all last year and didn't match or SOAP into any program last year. Somehow did this year.

Whatever you guys need please let me know.

Reactions: 2 users
People saying COVID-19 is slowing things down. That makes NO sense. lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
You would think calls and emails would be sent only during office hours typically 8-5. It's weird that people are saying they can come anytime.

First post,
US AMG, YOG 2017, previous residency for 2 years was not primary care, passed all steps but not first time pass. Applied to IM and FM. No luck yet. No calls/emails for me either.

Definitely an uncomfortable feeling moving into the round 1 results.
Best of luck to everyone!

damn it, my phone started ringing off, I ran into my room and saw it calling from oklahoma. I was so excited and picked up the call right away. Then a familiar female computer voice started, "thank you for choosing visa service." Scam call............so disappointed..................................

If anyone needs to talk I'm here too.

I'm an AMG who didn't match at all last year and didn't match or SOAP into any program last year. Somehow did this year.

Whatever you guys need please let me know.
Would you be able to share your stats, AMG or IMG, specialty you matched into and what you did differently to increase your chances of matching in this cycle?

Unless your post was meant as sarcasm...

Physicians are navigating:
whether to come to the office or not

figuring out how to secure protective equipment

trying to figure out protocols on who should be seen and who can wait

how to navigate implementing telemedicine and how to properly do it in a hipaa compliant manner

discussing with our pts who are pregnant, immunocompromised, on biologics, etc. what to do and what it means for them (we don’t totally know)

figuring out new family schedules, getting child care lined up that doesn’t expose their children, working through canceling flights to meetings and talks.

meeting with admin to figure out how to handle all of this

I’m sure there are more.

I know it sucks where you are. I was there about 9 or 10 years ago. Ya gotta try to be patient. It’s so tough, I know. I dealt with it by going to the gym, out with friends, etc. Well, a lot of you can’t even do that now.

I will leave this: utilize anyone you can. Back when I did it (the year before they implemented SOAP, I had all the people I could think of contacting the program I was trying to scramble into.

I‘m not sure if you can do that in SOAP (I’m wondering yes as long as the program contacted you first). Maybe someone can chime in and verify if that can be done.

American DO resident that didn't match last year to ortho, scrambled into a TY, improved my app a lot got a bunch of anesthesia interviews and didn't match that either. How ridiculous to be in this mess twice. Got 8 calls last year and not a single one this year. I have good board scores, good evals, MPH, and multiple research experiences. VP of my class.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Would you be able to share your stats, AMG or IMG, specialty you matched into and what you did differently to increase your chances of matching in this cycle?

AMG(DO)...... I had 2 (COMLEX) board exam failures and on the repeats I passed with 400-500 range . Did not take Step 1 but got 225 on step 2.

I learn what specialty I matched to on Friday(I applied IM/FM. mostly community programs in NorthEast/Midwest region/).

In the year I did research at an affiliated hospital with my school(finished 1 paper). I tore my ACL early last summer , and on injury leave from research studied for COMLEX 3(2 months) with a 450(Passing is a 400). I thought the world( and my career) was over despite the passed Level 3.

Since August I switched to more clinical work(a scribe for a FM physician who gave me extra responsibilities to simulate being a resident. I've been working for him 3-4 days a week until now. I now think this might have pushed me over into the match since it was valuable patient experience(writing notes, taking vitals, med reconciliation) that a residency might like to see.

I got 4 interviews this year and ranked them all.

The important thing is to not lose hope.

Reactions: 8 users
AMG(DO)...... I had 2 (COMLEX) board exam failures and on the repeats I passed with 400-500 range . Did not take Step 1 but got 225 on step 2.

I learn what specialty I matched to on Friday(I applied IM/FM. mostly community programs in NorthEast/Midwest region/).

In the year I did research at an affiliated hospital with my school(finished 1 paper). I tore my ACL early last summer , and on injury leave from research studied for COMLEX 3(2 months) with a 450(Passing is a 400). I thought the world( and my career) was over despite the passed Level 3.

Since August I switched to more clinical work(a scribe for a FM physician who gave me extra responsibilities to simulate being a resident. I've been working for him 3-4 days a week until now. I now think this might have pushed me over into the match since it was valuable patient experience(writing notes, taking vitals, med reconciliation) that a residency might like to see.

I got 4 interviews this year and ranked them all.

The important thing is to not lose hope.
Congratulations on matching!! Thank you so much for all the information.

damn it, my phone started ringing off, I ran into my room and saw it calling from oklahoma. I was so excited and picked up the call right away. Then a familiar female computer voice started, "thank you for choosing visa service." Scam call............so disappointed..................................

I had a similar thing. It was from Palo Alto (? delusionally thought about Stanford for a second, though I didn't apply there), and started with "Congratulations!! You have won..." and by the first word I knew it was a scam. I mean if hotels and traveling were still a thing now it would've been nice.

Head up, just one more obstacle in the road. Eating some good food and walking around every now and then helps right now :)

I know it slows things down.
Many hospitals are having multiple covid meetings in a single day.

Have a few empty spots is the last thing in their mind right now in the epicenters.
Not sure about the non-epicenters.

We just got our first few cases. We’re about 150 or 200 miles from an epicenter. I can tell you it’s kinda crazy here with multiple emails and system wide pages daily. I can’t imagine what it’s like in the epicenters.

Guys Im a DO student and losing a lot of hope. @theosteoblasts would love your advice. So I applied IM had 7 IV's but due to a delayed Comlex Level 2-CE (STEP 2 CK Equivalent) due to a family medical emergency I did not have an exam score prior to the ranking deadline. I ended up taking the exam in February wierd enough it was voided because of a testing site issue but luckily found an exam date within a week and got a 585. I have a complete application for the SOAP 453/585 Level 2: PE Pass. Step 1: 219. No failures just one dumb void score, even have 2 publications I haven't gotten even a call just spam. Anyone with any advice I applied mostly IM in soap to a few reasonably competitive programs, some DO mostly programs other than that 4-5 FM but really really confused. would love to hear someone's input

I'm just thinking how coronavirus might play out with the match over the next few months. Step 2 CS is all cancelled for the next month, and possibly longer if things don't clear up. Visa department closures and air travel restrictions might stop FMGs from coming over depending on how long this takes to clear up. ECFMG is supposedly working from home still, but whether or not everyone gets certified before July 1st might still be in the air.

The scramble might matter a lot more this year than past years depending on how this virus plays out.

I wouldn't be surprised if hundreds of PGY-1 positions possibly open up over the next few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Grats @theosteoblasts - I was rooting for you. Let us know if you matched IM or FM.

Programs can call late at night - I would say up to 10 PM. I'm sure there are outliers, but adcom does need sleep at some point. Keep in mind there's lots of applications. Programs try to get through as many as possible and there are filters - so if you don't match this year, see what is holding you back. YOG, IMG vs AMG, red flags such as step failures (one is not a big deal in a non-competitive program, however multiple is going to hold you back).

Pay attention to application requirements (some places don't sponsor visas - don't waste time/money applying). Look at your letter writers and do well in rotations to get the best letters possible. I know it sucks but try to get new letters. LoR from 3+ years ago don't look great and makes one think you don't have any recent clinical experience or you haven't done anything noteworthy lately. If you didn't match in a competitive specialty this year, take a hard look at your stats, compare to the national average, and reconsider what you really want - to be a physician in a specialty you may learn to love, or not to be a physician at all possibly if you keep trying the same things. Each year after graduation hurts your chances at matching unless you've done something significant to beef it up such as transitional year with an excellent LoR from your PD, more clinical experience/shadowing. Consider reaching out to programs that you want to be at and see if they do shadowing. That's a great way to get your foot in the door and show interest.

Good luck guys. Try to get some sleep tonight.

Grats @theosteoblasts - I was rooting for you. Let us know if you matched IM or FM.

Programs can call late at night - I would say up to 10 PM. I'm sure there are outliers, but adcom does need sleep at some point. Keep in mind there's lots of applications. Programs try to get through as many as possible and there are filters - so if you don't match this year, see what is holding you back. YOG, IMG vs AMG, red flags such as step failures (one is not a big deal in a non-competitive program, however multiple is going to hold you back).

Pay attention to application requirements (some places don't sponsor visas - don't waste time/money applying). Look at your letter writers and do well in rotations to get the best letters possible. I know it sucks but try to get new letters. LoR from 3+ years ago don't look great and makes one think you don't have any recent clinical experience or you haven't done anything noteworthy lately. If you didn't match in a competitive specialty this year, take a hard look at your stats, compare to the national average, and reconsider what you really want - to be a physician in a specialty you may learn to love, or not to be a physician at all possibly if you keep trying the same things. Each year after graduation hurts your chances at matching unless you've done something significant to beef it up such as transitional year with an excellent LoR from your PD, more clinical experience/shadowing. Consider reaching out to programs that you want to be at and see if they do shadowing. That's a great way to get your foot in the door and show interest.

Good luck guys. Try to get some sleep tonight.

hey man, would you have any input on my situation....put it a few posts above. I would really appreciate it

hey man, would you have any input on my situation....put it a few posts above. I would really appreciate it

Have any programs reached out to you? If not, it's not looking great at this point, as most of the calls/contact would have been yesterday and today. The late scores would hurt you but not be a killer as an AMG. 7 Interviews mean you look good on paper but you the fact you're soaping means you didn't impress in person as much. It's possible that you ended up in the middle of a rank list at multiple places or did not rank at all. Did any of the places you applied to end up soaping for spots? If yes, that means you ended up on a DNR (do not rank) list. Realistically, I'd be looking at your interview skills and have someone you trust to give you brutally honest feedback. Have your ducks in a row next year, beef up your application, apply broadly next year and you should be fine. Figure out IM or FM, and if you decide to apply to both, make sure you tailor your FM app to FM.

Have any programs reached out to you? If not, it's not looking great at this point, as most of the calls/contact would have been yesterday and today. The late scores would hurt you but not be a killer as an AMG. 7 Interviews mean you look good on paper but you the fact you're soaping means you didn't impress in person as much. It's possible that you ended up in the middle of a rank list at multiple places or did not rank at all. Did any of the places you applied to end up soaping for spots? If yes, that means you ended up on a DNR (do not rank) list. Realistically, I'd be looking at your interview skills and have someone you trust to give you brutally honest feedback. Have your ducks in a row next year, beef up your application, apply broadly next year and you should be fine. Figure out IM or FM, and if you decide to apply to both, make sure you tailor your FM app to FM.
Thank you man, to be honest with you these programs emailed me and told me that they would/could not rank without a Level 1, Level 2-Ce, Level-2 PE by February 21st. Of these 3 I only had 2 and unfortunately it was delayed to my father having a stroke. I am worried, I want residency this year but so far nada. Scramble maybe?

I'm just thinking how coronavirus might play out with the match over the next few months. Step 2 CS is all cancelled for the next month, and possibly longer if things don't clear up. Visa department closures and air travel restrictions might stop FMGs from coming over depending on how long this takes to clear up. ECFMG is supposedly working from home still, but whether or not everyone gets certified before July 1st might still be in the air.

The scramble might matter a lot more this year than past years depending on how this virus plays out.

I wouldn't be surprised if hundreds of PGY-1 positions possibly open up over the next few months.
that's what we need :bigtears: