SOAP 2020 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How you holding up?
thanks for asking. Hadn't had even a sip of water the whole day. Just grabbed some dinner. Now back to SDN and Reddit digging for some hope lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for asking. Hadn't had even a sip of water the whole day. Just grabbed some dinner. Now back to SDN and Reddit digging for some hope lol.
Same here broskie. I just ate a small amount a few minutes ago because I had not eaten all day. Had to leave work early because I was shot mentally. I was of no use.

Same here broskie. I just ate a small amount a few minutes ago because I had not eaten all day. Had to leave work early because I was shot mentally. I was of no use.
let's keep the hopes up at least till tomorrow. Then I can officially panic and become a monster to everyone around me

let's keep the hopes up at least till tomorrow. Then I can officially panic and become a monster to everyone around me
Too late; panic already set in. I could barely look at son today in the face without feeling like a failure. Gave him a big hug and asked my wife if she could take over so I can get right mentally.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Some people in Reddit reported receiving phone calls for FM pretty much right after 3PM. Others stated getting some for prelim, some programs reach out through ERAS, others reported getting texts followed by FaceTime IV.

Too late; panic already set in. I could barely look at son today in the face without feeling like a failure. Gave him a big hug and asked my wife if she could take over so I can get right mentally.
There’s no reason to feel like a failure man. Just keep trying and never give up! Your son is lucky to have you as a father.

Reactions: 4 users
There’s no reason to feel like a failure man. Just keep trying and never give up! Your son is lucky to have you as a father.
Thank you broskie. Lets hope SOAP brings good news soon

After SOAP. Where can i find unfilled IM and FM programs outside ERAS to apply independently?

They will appear in NRMP or you can contact programs directly
Hi, I am a US DO, still no call. do we still apply to unfilled programs thru ERAS or just call them directly or email to apply to those unfilled programs after the soap? which one is the preferred method?

Hi, I am a US DO, still no call. do we still apply to unfilled programs thru ERAS or just call them directly or email to apply to those unfilled programs after the soap? which one is the preferred method?
You can reach out directly to the unfulfilled programs after Friday.

For those who receive interviews last year how did they contact you? Was it via phone or email for an interview. I know last year was crazy with the tech problems they had.

For those who receive interviews last year how did they contact you? Was it via phone or email for an interview. I know last year was crazy with the tech problems they had.
heard they can do either.

Received a phone call yesterday. No emails yet.

"We have selected you to rank during the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP) for a one year preliminary position in our general surgery residency program."

email to ERAS

what is this? No phone call or anything?

This is not uncommon for prelim surgery. No interview, they just pick people and offer spots.

Got one call around 5PM ET. Call lasted about 7 minutes. Caller asked a few questions and said they might be in contact again for an interview. Is this a common thing or is it a veiled rejection?
They are probably checking your English. It's a first step, and as already mentioned allows you to contact them back.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
This is not uncommon for prelim surgery. No interview, they just pick people and offer spots.

They are probably checking your English. It's a first step, and as already mentioned allows you to contact them back.
i know people say dont trust anyone but can I assume ill have an offer on Wednesday?

Anyone received preliminary surgery interview calls?

Thanks for the response. Waiting is difficult. Keeping positive and thinking good thoughts for both of us!
I am not sure, need to get advice. First step get the interview, accept an offer. What are your plans?

I am not sure, need to get advice. First step get the interview, accept an offer. What are your plans?
not sure, was gonna re-apply EM but just found out I have a **** sloe so I dont think ill be able to or successful

guess i will just try and network during the year and see what i can get

npe besides the email i posted above from yesterday
Is it surgery you aiming to get into? I applied mostly FM and around 8 IM and 10 transitional years for this soap. Have not heard anything from them yet. It sounds you are very lucky. I would be crying my eyes out if anyone of them calls my phone. I did not match last year and I am soaping again this year,

Is it surgery you aiming to get into? I applied mostly FM and around 8 IM and 10 transitional years for this soap. Have not heard anything from them yet. It sounds you are very lucky. I would be crying my eyes out if anyone of them calls my phone. I did not match last year and I am soaping again this year,
i was trying to match em

at this point i dont know what ima do, just secure the surg prelim first

did you try to scramble last year, what was that like

How do you know your SLOE was bad? It is nice of you to say I am lucky, hope so. Although our boats are similar they are different as well. I would like EM as well since my background has been in EMS for the last two dedcades, but I can see myself in surgery as well. It all depends on what happens I guess, so I am not sure.

ya i can see myself in surgery

texted a PD i interviewd with, he told me

i was trying to match em

at this point i dont know what ima do, just secure the surg prelim first

did you try to scramble last year, what was that like
I am a U.S DO grad. It was the merger last year, a lot of DO programs moved their unfilled positions into the NRMP match instead of going into the scramble. Last year was not a good year for me. But I did participate in the soap last year too, not much left either after the soap. The programs fill up so quickly after each round. It is a stressful time to be honest and still no call so far but i am still crossing my fingers.

I am a U.S DO grad. It was the merger last year, a lot of DO programs moved their unfilled positions into the NRMP match instead of going into the scramble. Last year was not a good year for me. But I did participate in the soap last year too, not much left either after the soap. The programs fill up so quickly after each round. It is a stressful time to be honest and still no call so far but i am still crossing my fingers.
i thought there were always surg prelims that go unfilled, even after scramble

Hello everyone. I saw a few people already post messages of this type earlier on the forum, but I wanted to add my voice to it:

March 2018 was the worst month of my entire life. I was on an away rotation, far away from home. I was certain I was going to get my first choice: they had kept in touch, various attendings kept telling me "when you come here in July...", and I knew the program director went to the same religious services as my in-laws and personally knew my husband. And then... I didn't match.

And then... I only got 1 phone call the entire SOAP week. And... I didn't match. I had to scramble, and I'm confident the only reason they took me was because I did my core rotations at that hospital.

Last year, I had to re-apply all over. It was terrifying and miserable and stressful. March 2019 was panic inducing. And... I got into the program of my dreams. I matched as a PGY2 and could start July 2019. I'm so happy here.

So, it's possible to get there. Don't give up hope.

One thing I learned during SOAP week: talk to people. Not just your immediate support system. I spoke with my husband, my parents, my siblings, my schools therapist. None of them understood though. Not really. It wasn't until a friend of mine reached out to me and told me that she didn't match either that I felt like I was being understood. So reach out to people. If it's a friend, or someone on this site. Talk to people. If you want to PM me, go for it.

And remember: You are NOT a failure.

And now, a quote from Captain Jean Luc Picard: "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life."

Reactions: 12 users
How do you find out about unfilled positions on frieda? is that even possible?

Hello everyone. I saw a few people already post messages of this type earlier on the forum, but I wanted to add my voice to it:

March 2018 was the worst month of my entire life. I was on an away rotation, far away from home. I was certain I was going to get my first choice: they had kept in touch, various attendings kept telling me "when you come here in July...", and I knew the program director went to the same religious services as my in-laws and personally knew my husband. And then... I didn't match.

And then... I only got 1 phone call the entire SOAP week. And... I didn't match. I had to scramble, and I'm confident the only reason they took me was because I did my core rotations at that hospital.

Last year, I had to re-apply all over. It was terrifying and miserable and stressful. March 2019 was panic inducing. And... I got into the program of my dreams. I matched as a PGY2 and could start July 2019. I'm so happy here.

So, it's possible to get there. Don't give up hope.

One thing I learned during SOAP week: talk to people. Not just your immediate support system. I spoke with my husband, my parents, my siblings, my schools therapist. None of them understood though. Not really. It wasn't until a friend of mine reached out to me and told me that she didn't match either that I felt like I was being understood. So reach out to people. If it's a friend, or someone on this site. Talk to people. If you want to PM me, go for it.

And remember: You are NOT a failure.

And now, a quote from Captain Jean Luc Picard: "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life."
Congratulations and thanks for the positive words. When you scrambled did you match into a transitional or prelim yr? and How easy/difficult was it to get into PGY2..i'm assuming you are matched into a psych program?

Non-US IMG no calls or emails. Done 42 out of my 45 SOAP slots, mostly to Gen Surg Prelim and about 7 categorical IM. Application in the main match was in October and I ended the season with 0 IVs. So I had been looking forward to the SOAP and post-SOAP positions. Any thoughts?

Congratulations and thanks for the positive words. When you scrambled did you match into a transitional or prelim yr? and How easy/difficult was it to get into PGY2..i'm assuming you are matched into a psych program?
I scrambled into a transitional. I matched into an advanced PM&R residency. I definitely had more interviews last year than the year before. The challenge was that my TRI program made me use my PTO for interviews. It took some strategic planning to get to everything. For what it's worth, everyone in my TRI program was in the same situation as I was. Out of 14 people, 12 got into their specialty of choice (then one of them switched to IM and the other to FM). Also, my co-resident at my new residency also scrambled for intern year and matched his second year.

Reactions: 1 users
Non-US IMG no calls or emails. Done 42 out of my 45 SOAP slots, mostly to Gen Surg Prelim and about 7 categorical IM. Application in the main match was in October and I ended the season with 0 IVs. So I had been looking forward to the SOAP and post-SOAP positions. Any thoughts?
[/QUOTE
Please share your credentials.

I scrambled into a transitional. I matched into an advanced PM&R residency. I definitely had more interviews last year than the year before. The challenge was that my TRI program made me use my PTO for interviews. It took some strategic planning to get to everything. For what it's worth, everyone in my TRI program was in the same situation as I was. Out of 14 people, 12 got into their specialty of choice (then one of them switched to IM and the other to FM). Also, my co-resident at my new residency also scrambled for intern year and matched his second year.
Thats great to hear! thank you for the information. When you apply to transitional programs...how do you gear your personal statement and what kind of questions do you get asked during interviews? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

just recieved a random text message with some link to google drive, most likely a scam or virus. It is so tempting to click on it but refrained myself from doing that.

Thats great to hear! thank you for the information. When you apply to transitional programs...how do you gear your personal statement and what kind of questions do you get asked during interviews? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I only had one phone call interview, so I may not be the best person to ask that, and so sorry, I really don't remember what I put in my personal statement (I think it was something upbeat and hopeful about how being a doctor was the most important thing, no matter what specialty I was in). SOAP week was a mess for me. During the scramble, I remember submitting my CV; if I sent a personal statement, I doubt the read it, since I got a phone call about 2 minutes later, basically asking what my long term goals were/what specialty I was planning on and why I wanted to go to that particular program. They were pretty understanding about the idea that it wasn't so much the program in particular so much as ANY program, but I was able to share that I had already rotated there and knew the place and had family close by....

really but the link was texted from some weird email address, definitely not something from a professional organization. It does not mention any information regarding themselves or me. Basically it is something like "CFBGFBFGGBGF.pdf Http:/drive.google.com........"

Has anyone else checked their email, phone and eras messages like 100 times since this morning??

Reactions: 1 users
To everyone who didnt match, I did not match OB in 2015, it sucked it was terrible. I soaped into a prelim surgery spot with about 7 others that hadnt matched many different specialties.

Another girl and I reapplied to ERAS the following year and both matched OB, 1 person were kept and offered categorical at the hospital we were in, and two others were able to find pgy2 spots in other areas. It sucked because i would fly post call and use my 24 hours of to interview fly back and come back, but its completely doable. I matched the second time in a great program that really valued by hard work in prelim surg spot for a year , I graduate in less <100 days and have a dream job lined up.

Keep up hopes! don't give up and keep working hard. Doing a great job in your prelim year may open doors that you didn't even know you had.

Reactions: 7 users