Social Fraternity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurknJD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how being in a social fraternity will impact medical school admissions, and if there is any way to spin it positively. There are 2 equally feasible arguments

argument 1: a fraternity is nothing more than a social drinking club, grades decrease, you spend majority of your time drinking and playing sports

argument 2(the one i think is correct): although argument 1 is true to an extent, there is a crapload of leadership positions that one can do. Also, being able to juggle a million fraternity events and still keep grades relatively decent means one can seriously multitask. Being more than just a "pre-med" shows that you are human and can be a sociable, real, human being, not a pre-med machine.

I guess it all depends if the interviewer/adcoms have been in a fraternity to see the positive aspects of it, not just what is seen in the media. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering how being in a social fraternity will impact medical school admissions, and if there is any way to spin it positively. There are 2 equally feasible arguments

argument 1: a fraternity is nothing more than a social drinking club, grades decrease, you spend majority of your time drinking and playing sports

argument 2(the one i think is correct): although argument 1 is true to an extent, there is a crapload of leadership positions that one can do. Also, being able to juggle a million fraternity events and still keep grades relatively decent means one can seriously multitask. Being more than just a "pre-med" shows that you are human and can be a sociable, real, human being, not a pre-med machine.

I guess it all depends if the interviewer/adcoms have been in a fraternity to see the positive aspects of it, not just what is seen in the media. Thoughts?

Definitely depends on the interviewer. Some are very bitter towards fraternities, but many will like to see it on your activities if you were very involved with it (leadership, community service, etc.).

Definitely depends on the interviewer. Some are very bitter towards fraternities, but many will like to see it on your activities if you were very involved with it (leadership, community service, etc.).

Agreed. A lot of us left this off the application because of concerns that the negative perspectives might outweigh the positive in some adcom's eyes. If you have lots of ECs to choose from, leave this one off. If it's a huge EC for you, or the only thing that shows leadership, then do your best to play up the leadership, teamwork and charitable things the organization does. I wouldn't try to sell it as an activity you were able to juggle and still keep decent grades because honestly to a lot of people it could sound like you are saying your college was so easy that you were able to ace things while hung over after the weekly kegger.

Members don't see this ad :)
I held a leadeship position in my fraternity for several semesters, but I really only gave it a few lines as an EC and left it at that.

Most interviewers skipped over it. It did come up once when I had an interviewer who was in the same fraternity... but I still managed to self-sabotage myself enough to tank that interview into a rejection for unrelated reasons.

Most of my leadership activities came from the fraternity, as it takes up a lot of time. Its difficult to be fully involved in the the fraternity as well as other organizations on campus.

I like the suggestions of just listing the positions and kind of playing around it, but i wish there was a better way. Anyone in the same situation and have found a way to give it a positive spin, which it should have?

I mean, many of the fortune 500 CEOs were in fraternities, and so were several presidents. I wish people didn't give it such a bad rap.

If you are very involved in your frat and if it is a big part of your life, I don't see the harm in being proud. The adcoms know that it is more than just drinking. I was very involved in my sorority and even incorporated a story from one of our events in my personal statement. I had quite a few interviews and was able to discuss the leadership and philanthropic aspects of my sorority with my interviewers. It helps to show them that you are more than studying and volunteering at a hospital.

I listed my fraternity experience in four different sections of my AMCAS application. 1) Secretary 2) PledgeclassPresident/Risk Manager 3) Volunteer 4) More Volunteering

When I was asked about my fraternity experience during the interview trail, I admitted drinking and partying freely. But, I made sure to highlight the leadership and philanthropic aspects of the experience as well.

I personally think that my application shined because I had a decent GPA and MCAT in addition to being a social individual as evidenced by my involvement in a social fraternity (they don't want robots).

I would say ABSOLUTELY include your experience on your application (unless your grades are terrible or you have drinking violations on your criminal record, etc.) :xf:

I mean, many of the fortune 500 CEOs were in fraternities, and so were several presidents. I wish people didn't give it such a bad rap.

I think most fraternities have 'changed' a bit though; I don't see a lot of CEO material when I visit a frat house

I think it depends on the fraternity and what you do in the fraternity. I am glad I joined my frat. It made a huge difference in my life and taught me many things. On both of my interviews, they were more concerned with what I did and how I impacted my community!

The more your involvement accounts for your alltoed hours of "life" activities, the more foolish it is to discount listing it. I helped found a chapter, held multiple leadership positions, and was VP for a year. It accounted for about 10-20 hours a week of my life for 4 years. It gives context to my undergraduate life.

If those 10-20 hours a week are just hanging out, obviously that's less effective than running a 25k yearly budget or other activities that are required in greek life.

Oh and my friend got her first post-residency job because of a Sorority connection!