Social Media and Concentration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lasofloxabuterol

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whats your opinion on social media use (snapchat, instagram, twitter, ect.) while being pre-med, and in general? Is it a distraction to constantly look at others scripted lives and not focus on your own, or is it ok to use in moderation? Many of my peers have social media, MOST actually, and they seem to be wasting a lot of time using these various platforms and getting depressed or too caught up with others lives instead of focusing on their own. I decided to quit social media totally around 2 years ago and have seen quite amazing improvements in my discipline and focus towards my goals both medical and recreational, which to me is not too surprising!!!

What are your thoughts on social media use??
 
I think it’s probably true that using social media a lot is on net bad for your productivity/concentration, but I don’t like the idea that “as a premed” specifically you need to figure out how to cut all the distraction out so you can be maximally effective studying. You should be able to be a normal student, which means there’s nothing wrong with being active online, even if it prevents you from being like an optimized study machine. If you genuinely feel like you don’t social media, or are happier without it, then good for you. Personally, I really depend on Facebook for keeping up with friends, while Insta/Snapchat/Twitter are mostly just ways to idly scroll, but the only reason I would consider getting rid of any of them would be if I thought I’d be generally better off without them—not to make me a better premed. (I recognize that you were talking about both in your post though)
 
Lose the media , just be more "social". You'll never again have as much free time as you do in college. Social media gives the appearance that everyone else's life is wonderful and yours is not. Be more social and your life will be better. SDN is my only social media account. Although I am very content in my life, I tend to spend too much time on it. Good luck and best wishes!