Social Psych or Clinical Psych PhD ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm struggling between a social psych phd and clinical psych phd

I have a 1350 (710 quant, 640 verbal) on GRE with a 3.67 GPA (3.85 in psych). I have over 2 years research exp in various labs although they have all been social psych. I've been thinking of applying to social psych phd programs for a long time (last year I applied to 6 and got no acceptances), Lately I've been wondering if clinical psych would be a better choice in terms of employability and flexibility in my career. My goal is to do research as a professor in a university, but I know how dismal job prospects are for phds and (I wouldn't be willing to move to another area for a professorship)

I've been wondering if clinical phds will give me the opportunity to teach (maybe part time) and possibly have my own practice. I'm thinking of applying some of my research interests in social psych to clinical.

The idea of being an actual therapist is new for me, so I'm not sure exactly if it would be a fit for me (maybe I'll love it though)

I'm trying to choose between a social psych or clinical phd. I know that I'll enjoy doing research in social psych, but I don't want to be limited in job opps. I'm attracted to the Phd in clinical because it seems to offer more independence and more gaurantee that I'll actually get a job after I graduate.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?...and on the diff of social vs clinical programs (I'm sure they are many) I'm also interested in knowing what drives clincial phd applicants to the field.

Lastly, do I have much of a chance with my credentials? I've heard stories of how hard clinical programs are to get into.

Your feedback would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Social actually ties really well into clinical. A lot of my interests are more in social, but have clinical applications as well. In fact, there are a lot of clinical researchers who have social psych degrees.

I can't really tell you what your chances are, but it sounds like you have a good GPA, GRE, and research experience.

Social actually ties really well into clinical. A lot of my interests are more in social, but have clinical applications as well. In fact, there are a lot of clinical researchers who have social psych degrees.

Same here. A lot of my research interests have somewhat social bents to them.

Do your research interests/foci fit well with clinical professors at the programs you're considering?

(I wouldn't be willing to move to another area for a professorship)

This would kill any chances of academia. You have to be wide-open geographically to get a position. *If* after several years in academia you have track record of bringing in big grant money, then you may have a chance of moving to a university in a city of your choice.

Adjuncting on the side is a nice goal, but believe me, it doesn't pay the bills. I taught at george washington university (where students pay 44k+ in tuition a year), and I was paid 3k (pretax) per class I taught (often with 100+ students). Someone was making big money, but it sure wasn't me :) Plus, prepping for those classes, and not having a TA to help-out = very bad ROI/hourly-wage.

Clinical is advantageous because you will have the safety net of a clinical job - albeit, there are more hoops to jump through (1 year internship, 1 year post-doc for licensure), so it's +2 years over a social ph.d. Although with a social phd you'll likely be in a post-doc for several years before landing an academic job, so I'd say the time investment is a wash.

I/O psych may be an interesting choice in providing both academic and workplace opportunities, a better job market, and utilizing your social-psych background.

Lastly, do I have much of a chance with my credentials? I've heard stories of how hard clinical programs are to get into.

Your feedback would be much appreciated!

Your GREs/GPAs are competitive enough, but with clinical/social PhDs, it will come down to your ability to detail (in your essay) why you are a good fit (highlighting faculty you would want to work with and drawing parallels to your own research background).