PhD/PsyD Social Psych PhD as an LMHC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CitoPsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I want to quickly say what a blessing this forum has been to me as I have lurked off and on throughout the years. It helped me greatly in my discernment process as a clinican.

I am currently a licensed mental health counselor in the state of FL but finishing up a masters of divinity at Duke University. As I grow as a therapist and as a clergy person, many of the research questions that "keep me up at night" have less to do with clinical populations, but rather social psych/social justice related research questions. I am particularly interested in latinx mestizaje and how ethnic and racial constructs form how we see the world. If it helps to know, I worked as a research associate for several years focusing on low income minority couples. I have found some Social Psych Phd's doing this sort of research I mentioned.

My question is threefold:

1) Does being a LMHC look poorly on Social Psych PhD programs? Is it a strength?

2) Typically, do social psych programs engage in qualitative research? Are you trained in doing this sort of research in most programs (I am open to rigorusly engaging both qual/quant).

3) Are there questions I should be asking that I am not when I reflect on whether to pursue a PhD in social psych?

Thank you so much for your help/wisdom!

-Ivan

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Does being a LMHC look poorly on Social Psych PhD programs? Is it a strength?

None of the above. Social psychology would be best considered a second career. I would not imply that your counseling background gives you any special insight into social psychology, as you could make the same kind of claim coming from any profession that interacts with the public (law, criminal justice, medicine, education, etc.).

2) Typically, do social psych programs engage in qualitative research? Are you trained in doing this sort of research in most programs (I am open to rigorusly engaging both qual/quant).

It varies from program to program, but if anything there is usually more of a focus on quantitative methods. Some of the best quant folks I know were trained as social psychologists.

3) Are there questions I should be asking that I am not when I reflect on whether to pursue a PhD in social psych?

You might ask yourself what you what to do with a PhD, and what other types of programs might serve your purposes equally well or better. On reading your research interests, sociology is what first comes to mind, but doctoral programs in social work and cultural studies might also be a good fit.

Counseling Psychology might also be a good fit if you want to keep doing clinical but with a more social justice-y foundation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with above posters and was also thinking Community Psychology might be a good fit too although it might be more focused on how some of those bigger questions intersect with more clinical issues.

Thank you all so much for your time and responses!