social psych programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakewood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are admissions to other doctoral programs in psychology (social, etc) as competitive as in clinical?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. I go to school with a couple of experimental and social PhD's who are only having to take a few classes (and do a all the clinical stuff) for a second PhD because they aren't licensed. They are very strong in stats/research methods and theory. But I am pretty sure they are "easier" to into in the sense that not as many people apply to those programs, but not sure.

I went to a psychology conference and met a prof in the hotel gym who was a social psych phd. She said that it was much easier than admissions into clinical.

I would say it is definitely easier, comparative to Clinical, but not "easy" by any means. I am looking at Social programs now and most are 5 or 6 out of 100 that are accepted. I know that at my undergrad school there were 90 applicants for less than 5 spots, so it is still competitive.