Employment & Professional Networking Socially Acceptable Title OTD vs. DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehabjunkie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious on others input or personal experience regarding titles to those holding doctorate degrees, more specifically in the fields of OT and PT.

From my personal experience it seems that those holding a doctorate in PT are more likely to refer to themselves as "Dr. ______" than those holding a doctorate in OT. How are those with OTD addressed? Do they also frequently refer to themselves as a "doctor" (in their field) to patients, peers, etc.

Can anyone offer perspective or a reasoning to this? I know it comes down to individual personal preference with titles. But this is just something that I've generally noticed and am curious about!

Members don't see this ad.

I am just curious on others input or personal experience regarding titles to those holding doctorate degrees, more specifically in the fields of OT and PT.

From my personal experience it seems that those holding a doctorate in PT are more likely to refer to themselves as "Dr. ______" than those holding a doctorate in OT. How are those with OTD addressed? Do they also frequently refer to themselves as a "doctor" (in their field) to patients, peers, etc.

Can anyone offer perspective or a reasoning to this? I know it comes down to individual personal preference with titles. But this is just something that I've generally noticed and am curious about!
I've actually been wondering about this too! Thanks for asking. Hopefully someone has some insight.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I've seen, not many people with doctorates who practice call themselves that when they're with clients, or they'll say "I'm Dr. so & so, you can call me ___" but it's not really necessary. If you're in academia, I've experienced many people who get their panties in a bunch if you put only their last name on a scantron without the Dr. preceding it. Depends on your environment and the situation, I would say.

Lol I don't think I'll ever be comfortable going up to a patient and saying " Hi, I'm Dr. Confusedandlostone...." Even if I get the OTD/DOT title. Medical students go through hell just to earn that right, just my opinion. I'll just have my patients call me by my first name lol