sociology undergrad degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankieJane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello smart-faces,

I just joined up for this forum, after a critical look at my career options led me to see that a PhD in clinical psych was the direction I want my life to go in.

Unfortunately I'm already 25, with absolutely no background in psych.

I'm currently completing a sociology honour's degree, with the last few years GPA being 4.02 (out of 4.3).

I'd like to be able to apply to clinical programs next year but is this unreasonable? I know you usually need a psych honour's undergrad to get in.

I'm going to take the GRE this summer, then next year during my application year take some core psychology courses, including a three credit directed research course (like a mini thesis).

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Francesca Jane

Members don't see this ad.

I'm afraid you're not going to be competitive for a solid, accredited PhD program without a background in psychology. I mean, if you think about it, would you really want to have it any other way? It is the highest rank of the profession, after all, so it's only logical that successful applicants have to prove some aptitude in the field.

In order to be competitive you'll need to take those core psych classes before you apply as well as gain some research experience and develop a good idea of your research interests. You may also need to take the psych GRE.

If going to grad school the year after next is important to you, I'd look into general psych masters programs.

Before you take any psychology courses which you believe are the "core", you should go to APA.ORG/BOOKS and buy GRADUATE STUDY IN PSYCHOLOGY(here is the link to buy it: http://books.apa.org/books.cfm?id=4270092 ). The book tells you which courses are required by which programs, which although similar from program-to-program, also differs slightly. Also, you will want to buy GETTING IN: A STEP... from the APA

My bachelor's degree was in chemical engineering and, without these books, I never would have been admitted. Be sure to buy from the APA to get the most current editions. You may be able to take the psych courses you need (depending on what programs you select) this fall and summer.

Another good resource is your state psychological association -- join at the student level and they will likely provide you with prospective mentors to help you navigate the very complex admissions process

good luck!!

Hello smart-faces,

I just joined up for this forum, after a critical look at my career options led me to see that a PhD in clinical psych was the direction I want my life to go in.

Unfortunately I'm already 25, with absolutely no background in psych.

I'm currently completing a sociology honour's degree, with the last few years GPA being 4.02 (out of 4.3).

I'd like to be able to apply to clinical programs next year but is this unreasonable? I know you usually need a psych honour's undergrad to get in.

I'm going to take the GRE this summer, then next year during my application year take some core psychology courses, including a three credit directed research course (like a mini thesis).

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Francesca Jane

Members don't see this ad :)
You might also want to consider some domains of psychology that are less "popular/overcrowded" and yet would allow you to do work that linked your sociology studies and graduate level preparation in psychology: eg: rehabilitation psychology, social work, clinical sociology, organizational psychology. These areas can actually lead to work that has a large overlap with clinical practice and there are areas in primary care, rehabilitation, counseling, etc. that have good job prospects and draw on both sociology and psychology. Do some exploring. You are more likely to find funded grad programs open to you with less added preparation in these areas than in clinical psychology

I haven't been on here for a few weeks, I wish I would have seen this earlier.

My undergrad degreee was in Sociology. In fact, when I decided to go to school for clin psych I only had 1 psych course (intro) under my belt, and that was taken 9 years prior. I took "core" psych classes while applying (bio, abnormal, personality, stats, methods, etc.).

Deciding to try to go to grad school for clin psych was tough; in fact everyone here said impossible. But I studied hard for the GRE and got a respectable score. I focused on emphasizing fit, and was accepted to every school I applied to.

I'm now in my fourth year in a fully funded Ph.D. program. I know I'm an outlier, but if you're motivated and have a clear path, it's certainly possible.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to stay on the clinical psychology path...I'm too excited about it. I am, however, accepting of the idea that I may have to put in an extra couple of years of undergrad to make it. What's a year or two when you're considering the rest of your life, right?

To the OP -- I'm not sure if this will make you feel better, but plenty of people don't start clinical psych doctoral programs until their late 20's, or even later. In my case, I was over 40. My best friend was 31 when she started. Do what makes you happy -- you'll be fine.:)

psychmama it did make me feel better. thanks for the input!