PhD/PsyD Sofia University/ ITP Global Hybrid PhD Program and licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. KiKi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just completed my PhD in Transpersonal Psychology through Sofia University's (formally Institute of Transpersonal Psychology) Global Hybrid program. Basically there was some residential, but the majority of it was online. The Global Hybrid PhD program is NOT APA approved (only the brick and mortar version at the school has APA approval). I really had no other choice, as I live and work overseas with the US Government.

I've tried to search and did not find a clear answer, so forgive me if this has been asked and please point me in the right direction to find the answer. :)

Here's my question: Is it still possible for me to become a licensed psychologist (in ANY state) without having to basically go back to school and complete an APA approved PhD program? I know that I may need to take some additional classes/longer internship/etc., but just wanted to know what my options may look like.

If it is possible, does anyone know the easiest route for me to take to become a licensed psychologist at this point? I do not care which state.

Thank you for your input. It is truly appreciated!

Warmly,
Dr. KiKi

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the state, but very unlikely without going to a re-specialization program. Especially since I assume you have zero supervised clinical experience in the US, and likely no accredited internship. You may be able to get some kind of masters level licensure, but even that may be unlikely given your curriculum.

Thank you! I did not know there were re-specialization programs. I'll look into this. Thanks, again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just completed my PhD in Transpersonal Psychology through Sofia University's (formally Institute of Transpersonal Psychology) Global Hybrid program. Basically there was some residential, but the majority of it was online. The Global Hybrid PhD program is NOT APA approved (only the brick and mortar version at the school has APA approval).

None of their programs are APA accredited, actually.

Hello everyone,

I just completed my PhD in Transpersonal Psychology through Sofia University's (formally Institute of Transpersonal Psychology) Global Hybrid program. Basically there was some residential, but the majority of it was online. The Global Hybrid PhD program is NOT APA approved (only the brick and mortar version at the school has APA approval). I really had no other choice, as I live and work overseas with the US Government.

I've tried to search and did not find a clear answer, so forgive me if this has been asked and please point me in the right direction to find the answer. :)

Here's my question: Is it still possible for me to become a licensed psychologist (in ANY state) without having to basically go back to school and complete an APA approved PhD program? I know that I may need to take some additional classes/longer internship/etc., but just wanted to know what my options may look like.

If it is possible, does anyone know the easiest route for me to take to become a licensed psychologist at this point? I do not care which state.

Thank you for your input. It is truly appreciated!

Warmly,
Dr. KiKi

Licensure as psychologist in any/all states requires a certain about of applied clinical training while in training, as well as completion of 2000 hour predoctoral internship. If you didn't do these, then the answer is a firm no.

And none of that school's program are apa accredited, by the way.

Thank you all. I'm OK with none of the programs being APA accredited; definitely not going back for a 2nd PhD. LOL Thank you to WisNeuro for the respecialization information. Very helpful and what I needed. I've already talked to a couple of schools about their respecialization programs and this looks like a very promising avenue for me. Peace and blessings everyone.

One caution is that a large number of re-specialization programs (Alliant/Argosy) have terrible reputations and, in conjunction with a non-accredited program before it, woudl be a major barrier to internship and employment at many places. So, I would really run the numbers. You could be paying a lot of money for something which may not help you in the end.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm just curious... why didn't you ask about this prior to enrolling in your current program? Have other graduates been able to become licensed?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user