software startup: help or hindrance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexandertg6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first time reapplicant and during my year off I am founding and programming a software startup. I am taking MBA level entrepreneurial classes at the same time. I am hoping it is seen as evidence of initiative, hard work ethic, leadership, and intellectual flexibility... what I am afraid of is that it may cast a cold-business or money-hungry light on my application. The startup is essentially a way to connect people... Any thoughts on how I could avoid being seen as looking to medicine because it is a safe financial choice or some other cold business equivalent?

In case it helps my application stats in a nutshell:

3.55 gpa (both science and cumulative about) BS Biology UNC in 3 years with strong upward trend (3.0 freshman year with no Cs but no As either)

MCAT first attempt before physics and orgo:
32O 9VR 10PS 13BS
second MCAT attempt:
35N 10VR 11PS 14BS

5 years clinical experience, 1 year research with my own project and grant but no publications, and president of UNC Rotaract.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first time reapplicant and during my year off I am founding and programming a software startup. I am taking MBA level entrepreneurial classes at the same time. I am hoping it is seen as evidence of initiative, hard work ethic, leadership, and intellectual flexibility... what I am afraid of is that it may cast a cold-business or money-hungry light on my application. The startup is essentially a way to connect people... Any thoughts on how I could avoid being seen as looking to medicine because it is a safe financial choice or some other cold business equivalent?

In case it helps my application stats in a nutshell:

3.55 gpa (both science and cumulative about) BS Biology UNC in 3 years with strong upward trend (3.0 freshman year with no Cs but no As either)

MCAT first attempt before physics and orgo:
32O 9VR 10PS 13BS
second MCAT attempt:
35N 10VR 11PS 14BS

5 years clinical experience, 1 year research with my own project and grant but no publications, and president of UNC Rotaract.

I don't see how trying to start your own business would have a negative impact on your application. Just make sure to keep yourself involved with volunteering/clinical opportunities as well. I started up my own software company a few years ago and it has given me really good things to talk about in my secondaries.