Software to med school switch, DIY nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agonch

Reaction score
I'm a nontraditional student, ex-software engineer, with a DIY path culminating in completion of prereqs & MCAT Spring 2023. I'm motivated to apply as early as possible, with good grades/scores, but want to excel further in the free time I have (at times). After applying, I intend to return to full time work. In the meantime, I'm giving it all to achieve good grades and scores, volunteering once a week, and starting a part-time scribing job (twice a week).

Since I started taking classes again last Fall, I've ran into really hardworking folks, and the combination of posts like this, makes me deeply regret quitting a job emotionally/naively. Even though then, I felt like I'd be too stressed timing meetings with non-evening lecture/lab content. I question a better path, to both vet myself even further in this career switch motivation, and to have a "better" application for adcoms. I'm fortunate to be where I am, but I question my prior decision of assuming I'd need a ton of time to be able to attend labs in person and doing research for free if I get a chance. How do people time work meetings and labs? And weekday volunteering? While oncall at work?

I dislike throwing around the word "should", but I strongly feel like if I've accepted that I don't have a full-time commitment, then I should tack on other forms of commitments. My best bet in the coming months, is some paid part-time research position. But if not, should I just assume myself lucky I can prepare for MCAT with more free time? Should I be concerned about adcom's view of my work ethic/choices this year? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many courses per semester are you taking? If you have a fairly full course load, nobody will fault you for not working.

Do you have shadowing under your belt?

I like to think of the general big picture app check boxes:

1. Grades/Scores
2. Shadowing
3. Clinical volunteering
4. Non-clinical volunteering
5. Research

Honestly, as a non-trad, I believe research is less expected of you. However, where are you in regards to the other parts? If you wanted to still work right now, I believe a paid research position would be great. It would mark off a box (one that you may not need honestly), and it would keep you busy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
Not a full-time student. 2 courses / quarter. Except the quarter I prep and take the MCAT - just one college course.

I have not shadowed; I've read on these forums it can take months to set a shadowing option up but thank you for listing its importance! I was too focused lining up volunteering and scribing. Both have been rewarding so far.

As for research - I have gotten dozens of mixed views on this. It would still be out of personal interest and would leverage my background. But I mentally listed it last like you did. I could find a paid research position after the MCAT and mention during interviews rather than on application.

I am eating up my savings, a naive choice but I've come to terms with it. Hope it's the right choice in order to score well.

I am a non trad former software engineer as well.

Here is a rough timeline
  • I did one semester while working full time
  • Then I quit my job, and just focused on classes/volunteering for 2 semesters
  • Then I ran out of money, so I took another job for six months
  • Then I quit that job and studied for the mcat
  • Then I took another job and sent applications / did interviews
  • I kept that job until 1 month into med school, and then I quit it
  • Then I got rehired again at the same company the summer between M1-M2
That's a very messy timeline. And that's my point. I really think you have a lot of leeway. If need be, you can find a super relaxed contract job as a software engineer very quickly, make around 100k/year and quit whenever you feel like it without any repercussions (see websites like dice.com, etc, but be prepared to get tremendous recruiter spam).

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.