solubility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcgill2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how important is memorizing the solubility rules?
also, if a salt is completely soluble, this means that the concentration of each species is the same as that of the salt (in stoichiometric proportions), correct? similar to dissociation of a strong acid/ base

Members don't see this ad.

I have yet to see a question where you truly had to make a tough judgment call between two salts. Google solubility rules and you'll get all sorts of charts/tables/songs/mneomincs to help you memorize them.

If a salt is completely soluble, the concentration of each species may be greater than the concentration of the salt, because the salt could dissolve to make more than just a cation and an anion.

For example, CaCl2 -> Ca2+ + 2Cl-
You get 2 Cl- per CaCl2, hence the concentration is twice the formal concentration of CaCl2.

how important is memorizing the solubility rules?
also, if a salt is completely soluble, this means that the concentration of each species is the same as that of the salt (in stoichiometric proportions), correct? similar to dissociation of a strong acid/ base

most basic rules are these:

all no3- are soluble. all K, Na and NH4+ are soluble. Most Cl- are soluble except Pb+, Hg, and Ag.

Most SO4 are soluble except Ca, Ba, and Pb.

Most hydroxides are NOT soluble..exceptions are Na, K, and Ca.

Most sulfides2-, carbonates CO3-2, and phosphates PO4-3 (is it -3? not sure) are not soluble.

by not soluble I mean very slightly soluble to not soluble. these are basic rules you should know, much like HC and HNO3 are strong acids.

the

on that note can anyone list some common oxidizing and reducing agents?

I'll start ( only common ones please)

CrO4, ClO4 (oxidizing)

reducing (LiAlH4)

anything with a bunch of oxygens = probably oxidizing agent

anything with a bunch of hydrogens (or if you know its a redox, lack of oxygens) = probably reducing

hasn't failed yet