Hi guys! I have some general questions about being a PT. I want to be able to see if I really want to be one, and I'm in the program right now for pre-physical therapy, so I would like to know especially now! I won't expect super specific or detailed answers, but a little something would help! And I don't really need to know your name or company, but maybe if you work in a hospital or clinic, and what your title is (if you're not a PT, but maybe work with some?). Thanks guys!
Job Responsibilities and hours
· What are your primary job responsibilities?
· What are your normal work hours? Are these typical for this job or career?
· Is overtime or extra work required? If so, how often and for how long?’
Specialized Course Work, Degrees and Work Experiences needed for this career
· What specialized experiences were necessary as a prerequisite for this career?
· What academic degree, certification or licenses are required to do your job?
· What course work that you completed is most useful in fulfilling your job responsibilities?
Satisfying aspects of your career
What are the most satisfying aspects of your career?
Are there any aspects of your career that you dislike?
Job Potential
What are the opportunities for advancement (salary, responsibility and promotion) in this career)?
Suggestions for Students
What suggestions and advice can you give students considering a career like yours?
I'm most satisfied with being able to work with neuro/stroke patients.
I'm dissatisfied with my projected starting pay. But I'm fine with it at the same time.
If you're considering PT, you should shadow other professions to see if it's really what you want. I'd also look into cost of education versus salary.
I'll try to answer these questions the best I can. I work in an acute rehab hospital so understand answers would vary by setting.
Job Responsibilities and hours
· What are your primary job responsibilities?
Perform a chart review on all patients
Perform evaluations and treatments
My patient population varies but I treat a lot of strokes and multiple traumas (among many other things)
Document on all patients
Collaborate with other professions about patient care and discharge planning
· What are your normal work hours? Are these typical for this job or career?
830-5
I work weekdays and weekends
Every setting is different and varies widely
· Is overtime or extra work required? If so, how often and for how long?’
No
Specialized Course Work, Degrees and Work Experiences needed for this career
· What specialized experiences were necessary as a prerequisite for this career?
Graduating from a physical therapy program, passing the NPTE, passing state law exam (not every state has one)
· What academic degree, certification or licenses are required to do your job?
Graduate with a doctor in physical therapy from an accredited university.
Pass licensing exam (NPTE)
Must complete continuing education as you practice (requirements vary by state)
· What course work that you completed is most useful in fulfilling your job responsibilities?
Not sure if you are talking about undergrad or PT school. Obviously the coursework in PT school that will help you the most is the one focused on the setting you want to work.
Satisfying aspects of your career
What are the most satisfying aspects of your career?
Watching someone regain function. When someone hasn't walked in 2-3 weeks (or longer) and you watch them begin to walk requiring less and less assistance from you is an amazing thing.
Are there any aspects of your career that you dislike?
Reimbursement is going down from insurance carriers which will affect salaries while cost of education and length of education continues to go up.
Job Potential
What are the opportunities for advancement (salary, responsibility and promotion) in this career)?
Rehab director: make more money with much more responsibility. I've heard it's not worth it to some people.
For outpatient you could one day own your own business which like any business has its risk and reward
Suggestions for Students
What suggestions and advice can you give students considering a career like yours?
Don't just try to study to pass an exam and "just get by."