Some help please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My app:
CA resident.
3.66 cGPA
3.7 sGPA
MCAT:
8VR 14PS 10BS N May 2010
8VR 11PS 11BS M July 2010
10VR 12PS 11BS M May 2011

Extra:
Volunteer at SOS free clinic for the low income. 256 hrs (very good letter of rec)

140 hours of shadowing. Surgeons and Internist.

Go to elementary and middle schools to do presentation about skin cancer awareness. 150 hrs = lots of presentations I lost counts. (spotaspot.org) (good letter of rec)

Volunteer in Adaptive PE. I help people with disability or who is recovering from serious injury exercise. (Lost touch w person in charge)

2 yrs of research in mRNA modification.

Very good letters of rec from 3 other professors. 1 non science and 2 science.

My list of schools:
In state: UC Davis, UCI, USC.
OOS:
FIU
Boston
DownState
Miami
Georgetown
Loyola
Hofstra
NYMC
FAU
Tulane
Temple
GWU
Albany
Jefferson
Rush
Toledo
Creighton
EVMS
Michigan State
MCW

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to shamelessly bump this thread since I am desperate for help.

Updated list of schools and still need feedback. Thanks.

With a 3.66/33, I'd have suggested schools like these all of which have an OOS matriculation rate of at least 15%. Use an MSAR to screen them for "fit":

UConn, Georgetown, Miami, Iowa, Maryland, UMinn, Stony Brook, Wake, Cincinnati, Penn State, UWisconsin,
Loma Linda, Loyola, RFU, UKentucky, Creighton, Albany, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra (new), Jefferson, MCW,
UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, UNebraska, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (newer), Arizona,
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, UNevada (from region and [W]WAMI), NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS, Florida Atlantic University (new),
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),

How many hours of physician shadowing would you have with the translation gig and do you have any hobbies, sports, or artistic endeavors?

With a 3.66/33, I'd have suggested schools like these all of which have an OOS matriculation rate of at least 15%. Use an MSAR to screen them for "fit":

UConn, Georgetown, Miami, Iowa, Maryland, UMinn, Stony Brook, Wake, Cincinnati, Penn State, UWisconsin,
Loma Linda, Loyola, RFU, UKentucky, Creighton, Albany, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra (new), Jefferson, MCW,
UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, UNebraska, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (newer), Arizona,
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, UNevada (from region and [W]WAMI), NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS, Florida Atlantic University (new),
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),

How many hours of physician shadowing would you have with the translation gig and do you have any hobbies, sports, or artistic endeavors?

Hobbies:

Tennis (twice a week), swimming (every Saturday) and soccer (every Sunday.)

Shadowing:
I help translate for about 40 patients during my time with SOS clinic and that amounts to about 10 hours (included in the 256 listed above). I understand this is not very impressive number but do I need to put in more hours for this? Not many Vietnamese patients came to the clinic. I feel like I have seen all there is to see after about 20 patients.

Do I have a good spread of schools on my list?

Shadowing: about 10 hours (included in the 256 listed above). I understand this is not very impressive number but do I need to put in more hours for this?

Do I have a good spread of schools on my list?
I think you need some formal physician shadowing hours in addition to those 10 hours. Since you have contacts at that clinic, surely you could get some in quickly before submission. Your job is to ccreate an application that will appeal to a wide range of schools. Since most adcomms will expect to see a decent amout of shadowing, you would be wise to beef this up.

My list is ordered from more selective at the top, to less selective, line by line. So if you have schools picked out that are scattered throughout my list, then you've applied broadly. Some of your schools are reachy, but that's OK to have some dream schools, too.

I think you need some formal physician shadowing hours in addition to those 10 hours. Since you have contacts at that clinic, surely you could get some in quickly before submission. Your job is to ccreate an application that will appeal to a wide range of schools. Since most adcomms will expect to see a decent amout of shadowing, you would be wise to beef this up.

My list is ordered from more selective at the top, to less selective, line by line. So if you have schools picked out that are scattered throughout my list, then you've applied broadly. Some of your schools are reachy, but that's OK to have some dream schools, too.

Thank you so much for your help.

1) How many hours should I aim for? I am working full time at the moment and the clinic closes on the weekends so I really have to make an effort for this to work.

2) I am crossing out UCLA. Too much of a reach for me. I know all CA schools are reach but I would really prefer not to move to another state so I am keeping the rest.

I can't shake the feelings that I am almost dead. I still haven't heard from 15 schools but some of those schools are known for silent rejections like Temple, Jefferson... I even applied late to some of those (complete in early Oct. ) like Toledo, Tuft and EVMS. The only interview I got is from Hofstra. I felt it went well but can't read into it too much.

What should I do to prepare for the next cycle? I did everything I could when I was in school: research, shadow, clinical and non-clinical... I am working full time now so I can't improve GPA. Took the MCAT 3 times 32, 30 and 33 so not taking it again. The only thing I can do is to volunteer more but I don't know if it helps since I already have like 250 hours. Switching job into something health related would be hard. I have been looking for a while now. Suggestion?

Here is my app.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823958

Edit: Please Mod. Very few people read the WAMC that's why I made the thread in Pre-Allo.

Last edited:
1) I can't shake the feelings that I am almost dead. I still haven't heard from 15 schools but some of those schools are known for silent rejections like Temple, Jefferson... I even applied late to some of those (complete in early Oct. ) like Toledo, Tuft and EVMS. The only interview I got is from Hofstra. I felt it went well but can't read into it too much.

2) What should I do to prepare for the next cycle? I did everything I could when I was in school: research, shadow, clinical and non-clinical... I am working full time now so I can't improve GPA. Took the MCAT 3 times 32, 30 and 33 so not taking it again. The only thing I can do is to volunteer more but I don't know if it helps since I already have like 250 hours. Switching job into something health related would be hard. I have been looking for a while now. Suggestion?
1) Have you gotten any rejections? Where? Did you call for feedback on how to improve your application?
Do you have any Institutional Actions or legal issues?
Was your PS reviewed by multiple in-the-know readers who felt that the content, construction, and tone were good? Did someone also give a pass on your Experiences descriptions?
Did you take equal care with your essays so the quality matched that of the Personal Statement?
Did your advisor review your LORs and assure you that none had a red flag? Are you suspicious of the quality of any of the letters, in which case strategize to replace it.

2) Do you have a peer leadership activity, and if not can you get one started?
Any chance of a paper or poster/presentation related to your research?
Consider a nonmedical community service that is specifically serving the poor, if your current activities don't highlight that aspect.

1) Have you gotten any rejections? Where? Did you call for feedback on how to improve your application?
Do you have any Institutional Actions or legal issues?
Was your PS reviewed by multiple in-the-know readers who felt that the content, construction, and tone were good? Did someone also give a pass on your Experiences descriptions?
Did you take equal care with your essays so the quality matched that of the Personal Statement?
Did your advisor review your LORs and assure you that none had a red flag? Are you suspicious of the quality of any of the letters, in which case strategize to replace it.

2) Do you have a peer leadership activity, and if not can you get one started?
Any chance of a paper or poster/presentation related to your research?
Consider a nonmedical community service that is specifically serving the poor, if your current activities don't highlight that aspect.

1) I got 9 rejections so far. Not counting silent ones from schools like Temple and Jefferson. I didn't know that it is appropriate to call the schools to get feedback. Will do it asap next week.

No IA. I did have a dismissed charge on my record which many schools did not even ask me to disclose. Hofstra knows about it but granted me an interview.

My PS was read by 3 readers on the ps reading list and all said that mine was one of the better ones they have read.

I didn't have anyone closely check my activities description as well as secondary but I was very careful in writing them and thought that I did not make many mistakes. Maybe some minor word usage here and there since I am not a native speaker.

I didn't know that I can ask my advisor to review the LORs. I thought getting at least one interview meant the letters are ok. I will email my advisor and ask about it.

2) I do not have any leadership experience. It is hard for me to start one now since I am working fulltime at the moment. I am applying for a nonmedical volunteer position to serve the poor.

1) I got 9 rejections so far. I didn't know that it is appropriate to call the schools to get feedback. Will do it asap next week.

2) I didn't know that I can ask my advisor to review the LORs. I thought getting at least one interview meant the letters are ok. I will email my advisor and ask about it.
Strategic considerations:

1) What you can do is call the admissions office and ask to make a phone appointment with a dean so you can call back at a later time when they're free. When you get a personin administration to discuss your application, DON'T say why did you reject me. Rather, say What can I do to improve my application. This will often indirectly get you feedback on a problem area, like an LOR that was iffy, or an IA on your record you forgot about. Or an area of EC developement important to the school that you omitted. Be humble, be appreciative for their time. They often put a notation on your file that you expressed an interest.

2) Whether the advisor can review the LORs depends on where they are stored. You don't ask tell you what letters are a problem. Recall, the content is supposed to be confidential. Instead, say, Did you have a chance to look over my LORs? Did you have any concerns? You can't ask what was said, or who said something negative. But maybe, indirectly, you'll get feedback that you can act on, like, One of your science letters made a negative comment about your shyness. Or somesuch. Then you can act to replace it.

Strategic considerations:

1) What you can do is call the admissions office and ask to make a phone appointment with a dean so you can call back at a later time when they're free. When you get a personin administration to discuss your application, DON'T say why did you reject me. Rather, say What can I do to improve my application. This will often indirectly get you feedback on a problem area, like an LOR that was iffy, or an IA on your record you forgot about. Or an area of EC developement important to the school that you omitted. Be humble, be appreciative for their time. They often put a notation on your file that you expressed an interest.

2) Whether the advisor can review the LORs depends on where they are stored. You don't ask tell you what letters are a problem. Recall, the content is supposed to be confidential. Instead, say, Did you have a chance to look over my LORs? Did you have any concerns? You can't ask what was said, or who said something negative. But maybe, indirectly, you'll get feedback that you can act on, like, One of your science letters made a negative comment about your shyness. Or somesuch. Then you can act to replace it.

Thank you. I will call schools to ask. My school doesn't have a premedical advisor committee so I doubt they even read my LORs. They only provide students with a letter storing service.

I have always enjoyed working with kids and am thinking about volunteer at boys and girls club. Would this be looked at as leadership experience? I will likely be supervise kids playing soccer or tutoring them.

I have always enjoyed working with kids and am thinking about volunteer at boys and girls club. Would this be looked at as leadership experience? I will likely be supervise kids playing soccer or tutoring them.
Unfortunately, that wouldn't be considered leadership because leadership for the purposes of med school applications is referring to peer leadership. If you were to be in charge of a group of college-aged tutors at the boys and girls club, then that would be a great leadership role.

Perhaps you would be ready to take a leadership role at whichever EC you've been at for the longest time period?

Unfortunately, that wouldn't be considered leadership because leadership for the purposes of med school applications is referring to peer leadership. If you were to be in charge of a group of college-aged tutors at the boys and girls club, then that would be a great leadership role.

Perhaps you would be ready to take a leadership role at whichever EC you've been at for the longest time period?

That's not possible for me. We already have a coordinator at the free clinic. I really can't think of anything that would give me leadership experience. I work fulltime too and that doesn't help at all. Suggestions?

That's not possible for me. We already have a coordinator at the free clinic. I really can't think of anything that would give me leadership experience. I work fulltime too and that doesn't help at all. Suggestions?
Hmm. What activities are you currently engaged in?

Also, do you have any red flags on your academic record like a bunch of W's or something?

I'm beginning to wonder if this is actually a problem with your school list. At first glance, the schools appear fairly reasonable. However, consider the comments below:
In state: UC Davis, UCI, USC. CA schools so very selective automatically
OOS:
FIU Mission statement strongly emphasizes south Florida, so you probably didn't fit their mission
Boston 10k+ apps/year
DownState
Miami Private school yet seems to prefer FL residents from interview #s
Georgetown 10k+ apps/year
Loyola School perhaps looking for religious students, not sure where you stand with that
Hofstra Interview! :hardy:
NYMC
FAU No MSAR info but I assume strong FL resident bias b/c it's a state school
Tulane 10k+ apps/year
Temple 9k+ apps/year
GWU 10k+ apps/year
Albany
Jefferson 9k+ apps/year
Rush
Toledo Added late
Creighton
EVMS Added late
Michigan State
MCW
You would think that with applying to 20 schools, you should be fine, but there may be enough problems against individual schools to lower your chances :confused: You didn't apply to a ton of reaches or anything. I guess what I'm proposing is that there could be legitimately nothing wrong with your app, it's just these schools get a lot of apps or you weren't quite what they're looking for

Thank you. I will call schools to ask. My school doesn't have a premedical advisor committee so I doubt they even read my LORs. They only provide students with a letter storing service.

"Leadership" for AMCAS implies peer leadership.

Hmm. What activities are you currently engaged in?

Also, do you have any red flags on your academic record like a bunch of W's or something?

I'm beginning to wonder if this is actually a problem with your school list. At first glance, the schools appear fairly reasonable. However, consider the comments below:

You would think that with applying to 20 schools, you should be fine, but there may be enough problems against individual schools to lower your chances :confused: You didn't apply to a ton of reaches or anything. I guess what I'm proposing is that there could be legitimately nothing wrong with your app, it's just these schools get a lot of apps or you weren't quite what they're looking for

Right now all I have time for is the occasional fund raising or special events organized by the free clinic which is about once a month. It works for me because they are outside office hour and sometimes even on the weekends. I am applying for some volunteer at homeless shelter and boys and girls club. Just something to do in the mean time.

Except for a few, schools that have accepted stats similar to mine usually receive a lot of applications so I don't know what to do about that. Not like I can skip them on the grounds that they have too many apps. Where would I apply then?

I can't think of any red flags. I have a dismissed charge on my record but most schools didn't even ask about that. Hofstra knew about it but interviewed me. Still trying to find out if my LORs are ok.

If I apply again next year should I ask my LOR writers to update the date? They are dated 2010. Or should I only ask when there is something to add?

Edit: What if I get a promotion at work? There is a small chance of that happening. Would that be leadership exp? I will be heading a team of new junior accountants if that happened.

Last edited: