Some questions...any help would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arghhh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a junior, going into my senior year next semester. I only recently decided to switch to pre-dental earlier this summer. My question is, if I take the DAT in mid-August (and do well), would that be too late to apply?

Also, some feedback on whether or not I have a shot- my gpa is 3.41 and science gpa is 3.33. I have some ECs (research, working in a hospital, few more), but problem is I haven't shadowed a dentist. I can shadow a dentist soon, and even next semester. Would I be able to put it on my app that I was shadowing a dentist the following semester? Also, would lack of a rec from a dentist hurt me badly?

Thanks a lot for all the help. I'm just trying to figure out whether or not it's too late to go about this, and if I should just wait a year. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing a dentist and/or volunteering in a dental setting is key to applying to dental school. How else do you know you want to be a dentist and go through a long and expensive application process? I would shadow a dentist this coming year and apply to dental school for the 2010 cycle if you decide you like it and its what you're passionate about. This will give you plenty of time to study for the DAT and get your application in early June 2009.

Adcoms are going to look negatively on no dental experience and some schools require a letter of rec from a dentist. Taking an extra year to explore and evaluate this career path will benefit you in the long run and make you a better applicant. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. You've confirmed what I already thought to be true. However, is there any chance I would still get in this year though?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd have to kill the DAT and then convince the adcoms that dentistry is something you really have your heart set upon, which would be hard to do if you haven't started shadowing yet.

If I were you, I wouldn't apply this cycle. Save your money and get involved with alot of things that will help give you a really solid application next cycle. Also, research the schools that you want to apply to so you don't waste your money on schools that are a long shot to get into (especially out of staters).

Again, thanks for the advice.

This following year, I could shadow, raise my gpa, and maybe get some more ECs under my belt. What would be the best thing to do to help myself during that gap year?

What would be the best thing to do to help myself during that gap year?

• Since your going to be a senior: make sure your last year is a 4.0 year, your GPA right now is not bad, but average.
    • make sure you finish the pre-req's needed for the schools your looking into this year (if not finished already)
  • Go shadow a dentist(s)
    • hours hours hours
  • Volunteer at a hospital (even if its during winter break or next summer)
  • Ask a researching professor if you can join him/her in a research project (even if its only for 1 semester)
  • study study study for the DAT...you can do a lot with a year's time
if you want more specifics pm me.

And don't worry about the extra year if you don't apply now, it will be well worth it considering how solid you'll be making your 2010 application (not to mention the $$$ involved in applying--you want to make sure you are good to go!)

It's hard to have a late application when you do exceptionally well on the DAT. Score average and it'll be kinda late by then. Begin shadowing now, and get whatever hours in by application time. Once you take your DAT, you can then decide whether to apply. Even if you scored average on the DAT, it doesn't hurt much to apply to a few schools. Maybe 4-5 carefully chosen schools. You may actually save yourself one year's effort.

What would be the best thing to do to help myself during that gap year?

So many things!

You could:work in a dental office, work at a dental school if there is one near you, get a job in a lab as a research assistant and/or apply for a post-bacc Intramural Research Award to work at the NIH (http://www.training.nih.gov/student/pre-irta/previewpostbac.asp). You could also get a job waiting tables or something with a lot of flexibility so you can shadow and volunteer more. If you do really well on the DAT you can teach for Kaplan.

The only thing I suggest not doing during your gap year is working abroad because it might be hard for dental schools to contact you and getting back for interviews would be expensive and a pain.

I am kind of the same situation, arghhh. I'm thinking about doing this as well.

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses, guys. I appreciate the help. As to what to do for the gap year, those are all great ideas. I did kind of want to go abroad, but I suppose that can't be helped.

Although, I am still thinking of just going for it this year, depending on how well I do on the DAT. Maybe just applying to some state schools, and a few others just for the hell of it. It can't really hurt me to try, right?

Hey,

I don't think taking it in August would be bad at all as long as you submit your application earlier. In fact, I am doing the same thing as well. I even have five friends that did the same thing, and four of them had no problem. I would also suggest using the DAT Destroyer. My friends that got in used it and they swear by it and so do I.

-MF