Raney Schauer
The impossible flavor of your own completion.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't get roped into this ****ed-up thread.Excuse me. Where are you getting this nonsense about getting into
U.S. Med schools with a 3.0 gpa circa1978?
I am very familiar with how it was in the 70’s. I graduated from Univ. of
Illinois Champaign-Urbana in 1973 after 7 semesters (3 1/2 yrs) with
B.S. biochemistry. My curriculum was academically brutal and the
“pre-med atmosphere” was cutthroat. I scored a 36 on MCAT after my
sophomore year ( took it a year early to see what it would be like). The GPA I applied with was 3.26 with many upper
level and/or graduate level science courses. I was a 21 y/o white guy. My GPA was LOW (Average matriculant GPA was ~ 3.6). I applied to every school
in Chicago without even really knowing anything about them.
Never heard from U of Chicago, Loyola or Rush. Northwestern interviewed
me and I never heard further. Chicago Med College ( now Rosy
Franklin) sent a letter that basically “suggested” that a parental
donation of some huge (1973) sum may be associated, somehow,
with an acceptance. That school was a known s*** h*** at that time.
U of I Chicago wait listed me (~ #20) which, at the time, was almost a shoo
in. Acceptance came in June. UIC did not interview me.
I would not consider a MCAT of 36, GPA of 3.26 heavily loaded with
upper level BCMP being wait listed at one’s state school to be an
“easy” admission. And, today’s grade inflation did not exist then.
However, nowadays there are some BIG differences. No one really cared
about extra curriculars, clinical experience, volunteering and all
that touchy feely stuff. Hell, UIC did not even interview most.
They looked at your undergrad GPA derived from what courses
and from where, and your MCAT. That was about it.
The stuff that I think is onerous for you kids is all the ancillary
busy work you must do beyond GPA, course content and MCAT.
Academically it was no easier in the 70’s.