Some real questions for EVERYBODY posting on the Caribbean forum...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me. Where are you getting this nonsense about getting into
U.S. Med schools with a 3.0 gpa circa1978?
I am very familiar with how it was in the 70’s. I graduated from Univ. of
Illinois Champaign-Urbana in 1973 after 7 semesters (3 1/2 yrs) with
B.S. biochemistry. My curriculum was academically brutal and the
“pre-med atmosphere” was cutthroat. I scored a 36 on MCAT after my
sophomore year ( took it a year early to see what it would be like). The GPA I applied with was 3.26 with many upper
level and/or graduate level science courses. I was a 21 y/o white guy. My GPA was LOW (Average matriculant GPA was ~ 3.6). I applied to every school
in Chicago without even really knowing anything about them.
Never heard from U of Chicago, Loyola or Rush. Northwestern interviewed
me and I never heard further. Chicago Med College ( now Rosy
Franklin) sent a letter that basically “suggested” that a parental
donation of some huge (1973) sum may be associated, somehow,
with an acceptance. That school was a known s*** h*** at that time.
U of I Chicago wait listed me (~ #20) which, at the time, was almost a shoo
in. Acceptance came in June. UIC did not interview me.
I would not consider a MCAT of 36, GPA of 3.26 heavily loaded with
upper level BCMP being wait listed at one’s state school to be an
“easy” admission. And, today’s grade inflation did not exist then.
However, nowadays there are some BIG differences. No one really cared
about extra curriculars, clinical experience, volunteering and all
that touchy feely stuff. Hell, UIC did not even interview most.
They looked at your undergrad GPA derived from what courses
and from where, and your MCAT. That was about it.

The stuff that I think is onerous for you kids is all the ancillary
busy work you must do beyond GPA, course content and MCAT.
Academically it was no easier in the 70’s.
Don't get roped into this ****ed-up thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users

If you chose Carribeans that's cool. Wouldn't gamble it though.

US MD, DO, or DPM are much better routes imo, if you want to be a physician. Not because of their titles, but because they aren't major risks like Carribean MDs. Do what you want though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you chose Carribeans that's cool. Wouldn't gamble it though.

US MD, DO, or DPM are much better routes imo, if you want to be a physician. Not because of their titles, but because they aren't major risks like Carribean MDs. Do what you want though.

This thread went off the rails really quickly and expectedly. I think my points were very clear but what you have here are countless responses that are either avoiding the main topic of discussion or desperately trying to change the topic; like your post for example.

I think this is reflective of the quality of advice you will get here on SDN and I think it's rather disappointing.

My understanding is that SGU has close to 4000 applications for EACH term so telling somebody not to go to the Caribbean really is a message that is falling on deaf ears. Your best bet going forward is to keep it neutral...at least you can then say you are helping those who are applying.

This thread went off the rails really quickly and expectedly. I think my points were very clear but what you have here are countless responses that are either avoiding the main topic of discussion or desperately trying to change the topic; like your post for example.

I think this is reflective of the quality of advice you will get here on SDN and I think it's rather disappointing.

My understanding is that SGU has close to 4000 applications for EACH term so telling somebody not to go to the Caribbean really is a message that is falling on deaf ears. Your best bet going forward is to keep it neutral...at least you can then say you are helping those who are applying.

Except your tone has hardly been neutral on this thread or willing to accept other viewpoints. I've been on sdn for a long time and I have never seen such arrogance from a premed student actively dismissing every single med student and resident who posts on a topic that they are far more of an expert in than you. You come off as someone who thinks they know everything. Literally everyone on this board who has posted advice is more of an expert on this topic than you. You have had countless SGU/Ross students and grads give up their valuable time to give advice on this toxic thread but everything they have said is met with, "well thats not how it actually is" or "your wrong" by someone who has absolutely 0 real world experience in being a med student, medical student at SGU, medical graduate in general, or IMG. The people posting here are long time respected posters- real students, real grads, with real world experience in having gone through this pathway themselves yet you completely dismiss their own analysis and reflections on that very pathway. My mind is completely boggled.

Reactions: 5 users
I think the misinformation with your post is that you are assuming Caribbean medical third year's are applying haphazardly all across the country lol.

Do you think these programs are that stupid to advise their students to apply to schools that they knowingly have no chance getting looked at?

It doesn't work like that. This is why I had already brought up this whole idea of regionalism and IMG's.

Again, 900 graduates from SGU are going to be treating patients starting in just a few weeks. I guess they must have applied to the 35%?
Im confused. Are you in a Caribbean school right now? You’re always so quick to be offended

Reactions: 1 users

I'm not about to be super "neutral" on a thread in which advises people to gamble half a million dollars.

As for "quality" of advise, I've been interviewed at everything from traditional medical schools to podiatry schools, AND I have been accepted and will be a physician after I finish medical school. All US schools of course. And all with 97-100% match rates.

Carib. MDs have a 50% or so match rate? Its so bad, that the Carib. schools won't even publish their data accurately on the situation.

So my experience in the process in applying to medical schools is quite substantial.

Dunno what your backstory is. You just seem to whine a lot.

I'm not about to be super "neutral" on a thread in which advises people to gamble half a million dollars.

As for "quality" of advise, I've been interviewed at everything from traditional medical schools to podiatry schools, AND I have been accepted and will be a physician after I finish medical school. All US schools of course. And all with 97-100% match rates.

Carib. MDs have a 50% or so match rate? Its so bad, that the Carib. schools won't even publish their data accurately on the situation.

So my experience in the process in applying to medical schools is quite substantial.

Dunno what your backstory is. You just seem to whine a lot.

900 matches from SGU for 2018 and I believe 2017 as well. Foreshadowing 900+ matches for 2019. What's your explanation? Please provide substance...not filler.

As I pointed out, SGU has 4000 applications for EACH term so the SDN message really is not reaching who you might think it is reaching.

If your best advice continues to be a comparison of those who graduate vs. those who initially applied, that's not a very good comparison. A more appropriate comparison is those who applied for the match and then those who actually matched. My number is >90%.

Last edited by a moderator:
900 matches from SGU for 2018 and I believe 2017 as well. Foreshadowing 900+ matches for 2019. What's your explanation? Please provide substance...not filler.

As I pointed out, SGU has 4000 applications for EACH term so the SDN message really is not reaching who you might think it is reaching.

If your best advice continues to be a comparison of those who graduate vs. those who initially applied, that's not a very good comparison. A more appropriate comparison is those who applied for the match and then those who actually matched. My number is >90%.
I truly hope you’re giving this advice as a Caribbean medical student and not as a pre-med

I truly hope you’re giving this advice as a Caribbean medical student and not as a pre-med

Uh, it's not advice. I'm taking posted data, presenting it here, and asking this community to explain a few things. Such a long thread and we have maybe one or two decent responses.

...remember 4000 applications.

Uh, it's not advice. I'm taking posted data, presenting it here, and asking this community to explain a few things. Such a long thread and we have maybe one or two decent responses.

...remember 4000 applications.
That’s now two times that you’ve avoided a very simple question. Obviously a pre-med

jeez ya really harpooned em
Take a look at JohnWood15’s posts, mcat_taker is not exaggerating. This guy takes the cake on arrogance, and he’s not even a medical student yet. Imagine what a few years will do, yikes!

Members don't see this ad :)
No I thought it was very entertaining, thats why I liked mcat-takers comment

4000 applicants is meaningless, those are a mix of international applicants that 9/10 immediately get screened out bc the school knows they will be hamstringed when it comes to the match/visas issues

1/2 the people that start will never match, 40% if you want to be nice

These schools are not that competitive/selective

This is important

Chances are, if you're denied admission at ANY carib school, you don't have the aptitude for this

Strongly considered nursing or PA

I've known a lot of people that lied to themselves about their ability, don't be one of these people

This one was a little bit more creative than the others so kudos to you on that lol

I love the feeble attempts at phony stats. Do you know that most of the 4000 applicants are "foreign" applicants lol? Where did you get that number from anyway? Do you know what kind of parameters the school must maintain to keep getting title IV funding? Do you think SGU's main objective is to put students into foreign residencies? SGU's claim to fame is that they succeed in matching students into US programs lol. Do you know that a lot of programs do not sponsor visas for foreign students and will flat out tell you this before you even apply? I guarantee you if you had mostly "foreign" applicants to SGU at least, you couldn't maintain the title IV funding for the program. Do your research first. Don't just make up numbers. Nobody is that stupid.

I, on the other hand, got the 900 matches from published data. Do you see the difference between how you, and others, are trying to construct an argument and how I went with my original question? I don't have to argue anything. I posted a real figure that is non-negotiable and I left you guys to explain it. Look at most of the nonsense that has been posted...from you guys. It really speaks for itself.

How do you know that "these schools" are not that competitive? Have you applied to every single school and attended every single school? What exactly does that comment even mean? Am I supposed to take your word or do I take the word of a PD that said "yeah, we'll take you into our program." Think long and hard about that for a moment.

I like how you threw in "if you're denied admission at ANY Carib school..." Very sneaky lol. Well, yeah, if you're denied you won't graduate so I guess that means the 900 matches definitely had the aptitude for medical school then lol. Who cares who was denied. I only care about who is succeeding. How about all the students denied to US programs? Do you suggest they go into nursing as well?

And who are you to be telling anyone what they can or can't do? How about I tell you to go become a nurse.

This one was a little bit more creative than the others so kudos to you on that lol

I love the feeble attempts at phony stats. Do you know that most of the 4000 applicants are "foreign" applicants lol? Where did you get that number from anyway? Do you know what kind of parameters the school must maintain to keep getting title IV funding? Do you think SGU's main objective is to put students into foreign residencies? SGU's claim to fame is that they succeed in matching students into US programs lol. Do you know that a lot of programs do not sponsor visas for foreign students and will flat out tell you this before you even apply? I guarantee you if you had mostly "foreign" applicants to SGU at least, you couldn't maintain the title IV funding for the program. Do your research first. Don't just make up numbers. Nobody is that stupid.

I, on the other hand, got the 900 matches from published data. Do you see the difference between how you, and others, are trying to construct an argument and how I went with my original question? I don't have to argue anything. I posted a real figure that is non-negotiable and I left you guys to explain it. Look at most of the nonsense that has been posted...from you guys. It really speaks for itself.

How do you know that "these schools" are not that competitive? Have you applied to every single school and attended every single school? What exactly does that comment even mean? Am I supposed to take your word or do I take the word of a PD that said "yeah, we'll take you into our program." Think long and hard about that for a moment.

I like how you threw in "if you're denied admission at ANY Carib school..." Very sneaky lol. Well, yeah, if you're denied you won't graduate so I guess that means the 900 matches definitely had the aptitude for medical school then lol. Who cares who was denied. I only care about who is succeeding. How about all the students denied to US programs? Do you suggest they go into nursing as well?

And who are you to be telling anyone what they can or can't do? How about I tell you to go become a nurse.
How you avoided being placed on probation, I will never know

Dude I bet your verbal reasoning on MCAT was ditkus, you totally missed the boat on what I was saying about foreign applicants.

I see you've been commenting on AUA and Trinity pages LOL, just don't

Calling people stupid bc you either disagree or don't understand isn't a very telling sign of maturity

I can't tell if you're trolling or not

If you're actually for real with this tirade I feel bad for you

You haven't got a clue

And there's nothing wrong with nursing, that wasn't meant as an insult

What exactly is your argument? I've made mine and I think my points are pretty clear, I can't understand why you keep responding lol.

It appears you're trying to engage in some juvenile keyboard-sparring with me.

If you want to come up with a coherent counter-argument as to why students are succeeding at SGU, I suggest you do a little more research, talk to a little more people, and then come back because YOU are the one who doesn't seem to have a clue. You just post fake numbers with a bunch of bias lol. Who is going to take you seriously?

Right now, you are contributing to the lack of real information on this thread. You can continue if you wish but what are you gaining?

Nobody said nursing was an insult, those are your words lol. But you shouldn't be telling anyone what they can or can't do. If someone wants to go into nursing, that's their choice, it's not yours.

You still can't seem to answer why SGU has 900 matched graduates in 2017. That's a lot of people if you didn't know.

This whole thread is amazing.

You still can't seem to answer why SGU has 900 matched graduates in 2017. That's a lot of people if you didn't know.

How many unmatched graduates were there?

Do you know what kind of parameters the school must maintain to keep getting title IV funding?

This is public info and I can promise you that if SGU had to apply for title IV eligibility today, they 100% would not get it. They were grandfathered in and do not meet a few of the key requirements (for the record, none of the carib schools that get federal funds meet the requirements).

That’s now two times that you’ve avoided a very simple question. Obviously a pre-med

This is typical of people who wish to justify their risky choices.

No matter how much logic and reason we can give the OP, he will harp on the 900 grads who won the Lotto and survived the thresher, which is actually getting worse for Carib grads.

No matter how much logic and reason we can give the OP, he will harp on the 900 grads who won the Lotto and survived the thresher, which is actually getting worse for Carib grads.

900 grads did not win any lotto. They earned that MD. Anybody can get one of those spots if they want it. There is no lotto unless of course you think SGU can magically transform a student with a 3.0 science GPA into a competent physician. I don't think SGU exists to do that.

Again, if you cannot gain acceptance into a US medical school, and there are thousands who just will never gain acceptance then SGU is a legitimate option. That's where you are trying to skew my argument and bring up the thousands of students who should not even be doctors who do apply to SGU. I don't factor those students into my arguments.

900 grads did not win any lotto. They earned that MD. Anybody can get one of those spots if they want it. There is no lotto unless of course you think SGU can magically transform a student with a 3.0 science GPA into a competent physician. I don't think SGU exists to do that.

Again, if you cannot gain acceptance into a US medical school, and there are thousands who just will never gain acceptance then SGU is a legitimate option. That's where you are trying to skew my argument and bring up the thousands of students who should not even be doctors who do apply to SGU. I don't factor those students into my arguments.
Just go, already.

Applying Ignore function now. You'll feel a slight stinging between the eyes. Don't let it hurt your little brain.

Just want to make sure everyone realizes there is absolutely zero actual objective evidence that the above bolded statement is true. Not surprising considering the source, but important to point out nonetheless.

1. More IMGs got PGY1 positions for 2016-2017 (the most recent year we have data for) than ever before. Go to page 79 in the most recent ACGME Data Resource Book from the link below.
ACGME Data Resource Book

2. More US-IMGs and foreign-IMGs, by both absolute number and percentage, matched through the NRMP in 2018 than any time in at least the last 20 years (thats as far back as I looked).
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Main-Match-Result-and-Data-2018.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/resultsanddata2013.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/resultsanddata2008.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/resultsanddata2003.pdf

So again, no actual evidence that the situation is "getting worse for Carib grads." The only place this is true is inside the heads of some of the more factually-challenged members of this website.

Just want to make sure everyone realizes there is absolutely zero actual objective evidence that the above bolded statement is true. Not surprising considering the source, but important to point out nonetheless.

1. More IMGs got PGY1 positions for 2016-2017 (the most recent year we have data for) than ever before. Go to page 79 in the most recent ACGME Data Resource Book from the link below.
ACGME Data Resource Book

2. More US-IMGs and foreign-IMGs, by both absolute number and percentage, matched through the NRMP in 2018 than any time in at least the last 20 years (thats as far back as I looked).
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Main-Match-Result-and-Data-2018.pdf

So again, no actual evidence that the situation is "getting worse for Carib grads." The only place this is true is inside the heads of some of the more factually-challenged members of this website.
Smh, do you actually think this is going to be a trend?

ACGME Data Resource Book

The people here don't want facts though. That's why this thread is so long.

This reminds me of those pre-meds in my University that no matter what you said to them, they preached "success over everything."

Ask em their GPA, "3.6".

Back up plan? "I don't need a backup plan because that'll admit that I could fail".

People at every level fail, regardless of how much they want it or work. To be safest, you have to assume you'll fail until you crush it. Then, you have plans ready to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

This reminds me of those pre-meds in my University that no matter what you said to them, they preached "success over everything."

Ask em their GPA, "3.6".

Back up plan? "I don't need a backup plan because that'll admit that I could fail".

People at every level fail, regardless of how much they want it or work. To be safest, you have to assume you'll fail until you crush it. Then, you have plans ready to go.

That is the absolute dumbest advice I have ever heard. Do you get in your car thinking you are going to get in an accident? Do you marry a girl assuming your marriage is going to fail? Do you go to a restaurant thinking you're going to get food poisoning?

Utter nonsense.

I was reading through these threads and well, I have some questions...

1. How many of you commenting on the Caribbean medical school path REALLY have some type of knowledge about the admissions process, the medical education itself, and then the match rate at each of these schools as they exist TODAY? Not last year, not a decade ago, not through a friend or even "someone you know"...but personal intimate knowledge of these programs as they exist today. And then how many of you admittedly actually know nothing about any of those things and still decide to put in your .02 anyway knowing full well you have no idea what you are talking about?

2. What exactly is the underlying message here regarding Caribbean medical schools? I don't understand if people are actually encouraging people to succeed, if people are discouraging people from succeeding, or if people are simply spewing their bias regardless of whether a prospective students succeeds or does not succeed in becoming a physician. We have people posting here claiming to be students, people claiming to be graduates, and even a few "program directors" who appear to not be fans of Caribbean medical students oddly giving their input to prospective Caribbean medical students but I just can't seem to figure out if we are encouraging others to succeed or just injecting our own personal biases into the legitimate career aspirations of people we know nothing about, people who might be very different than us, and people whom we will probably never see in our life. I mean if someone wants to go to the Caribbean to become a physician, do you feel better about yourself discouraging them not to try even though you know nothing about them, their motivation, and then knowing that there is absolutely no way to predict their ultimate outcome?

A lot of the information on this part of SDN is very vague at best and not convincing. All I have found are personal opinions and data that can only infer a possible outcome at best. There is absolutely zero advice or statistical data on this forum that can predict anyone's outcome with any type of absoluteness. We all know people match from the Caribbean and, as far as I can tell, that really has not changed drastically considering some people have posted that all Caribbean Schools should have been closed by today. So if people do succeed down this route --and I'm talking about the most legitimate two or three schools, what is the real message you guys are trying to send to someone, who you do not know, who asks "should I go to the Caribbean?"

Is the answer "are you able to write a check?" or "do you want to be bankrupt with no chance of practicing medicine." really the best you can do? Is that 100% accurate? If not, then that's not real advice to be honest.

St. George's University recently graduated 900 or so MD's a few days ago. I'm just curious how some of you guys come up with an explanation for that. You obviously don't know those 900 graduates on a personal level let alone know anything about their stats or the PD's that gave them the green light so who's to say some prospective student cannot one day be in that cohort if some cohort of Caribbean medical students is obviously succeeding?
900 students graduated does not equal 900 students matched. They publish their match list, you can work out the math yourself

That is the absolute dumbest advice I have ever heard. Do you get in your car thinking you are going to get in an accident? Do you marry a girl assuming your marriage is going to fail? Do you go to a restaurant thinking you're going to get food poisoning?

Utter nonsense.
So you're saying, let's use a premed level as example, that the premed should not have any plan B?

900 students graduated does not equal 900 students matched. They publish their match list, you can work out the math yourself

930 students obtained first-year residency positions. What part of that don't you understand? Is the match list you are looking at written with crayon?

But, if you will your success through hard work, it will happen 100% of the time? So why have a plan B?

Dude, when you get in your car do you think you are going to get run over by an 18-wheeler? Nobody gets in their car with a "plan b" to take an airplane or boat. You just learn how to drive the damn car properly the first time every time. The same concept applies to whatever it is you are talking about.

If you live your life with a lot of "plan b's" well, you ain't going to make a whole lot of progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.