Someone please give me some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

My Fe-Lung

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is me.
--> Will be an undergrad senior this year
--> Did not take the April MCAT, taking it in August
-->Have not submitted my AMCAs

Here is my question;
Would it make any difference if I submitted my AMCAs now or in the middle of July?

(i leave tomorrow to go to alaska for two weeks, i have all my amcas ready except that i am not happy with my PS and would like more time until I really feel good about it)

a premptive thank you for your advice

Members don't see this ad.

You're screwed. SUBMIT NOW.

Members don't see this ad :)
according to what my premed advisor says, those who are taking the august MCAT will not have their applications considered by the medical schools until their MCAT scores arrive. Therefore, it really doesn't matter when u submit ur AMCA, as long as it is before october.

I would submit it now to make sure it gets into the system. They won't consider it until they have MCAT scores however.

Mossjoh

Earlier is better, but later won't kill your app. Spend your time now studying for the MCAT. After that take a week off 'cause you earned it. Then polish your app. and submit no later than early October. If you try to get your app in early and study for the MCAT you'll half-a$$ both of them. The admission cycle is the whole year. There isn't any narrow window of opportunity that closes by June 2. Best of luck to you.

By far the most important thing you said is that you are not happy wth your PS. There is your answer-- don't submit something you are not happy with as your PS is a very, very big & important part of your application. Mine was bought up in every interview I had. As to submitting your AMCAS in July-- that is not going to harm your application drastically, but at the same time DO NOT WAIT until August MCAT scores to submit it. Do it as soon as you are happy with your PS. Many schools will send you their secondary application without MCAT scores, and you can have the secondary essays & requirements all done and submitted so all that is left outstanding are your MCAT's. Then when those scores come out, your app will be complete and can go immediately to the admissions committee. Remember-- your app is reviewed in order of completion, so having everything submitted will put you at the front of all those August MCATers who waited until October to start, and even some April people too!

False - First, if you submit NOW, you will start to receive secondaries and you can send your LORs. It will help to have you application completed faster. FutureERDoc is right on the mark with this one.

Second, med schools (maybe not all) DO consider applications even if the MCAT scores aren't in yet/the applications are not yet compete. This actually happened to me: My rejection letter from Boston U was dated the day after the MCATs were released to med schools = they had already decided to reject me but had to wait until they got my scores to "legally" reject me.

purple_rainbow said:
according to what my premed advisor says, those who are taking the august MCAT will not have their applications considered by the medical schools until their MCAT scores arrive. Therefore, it really doesn't matter when u submit ur AMCA, as long as it is before october.