Someone please give me some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacyMedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I really need advice on what I'm supposed to do now. I have been interested in medicine ever since entering the program I'm currently in, I was just always told that it is very hard to apply from one health profession to another and it looks horrible on an application.

Some of my stats:
Professional Doctorate Program (Pharmacy).
GPA: 3.5
Science: 3.6-3.7
Professional GPA: 3.5

Extra:
Class President
Research Publication in a respected journal
Shadow surgeon every wednesday
Church + School publications/teaching
Tutoring for 3 years
Dean's list since entering school

I have a few problems:

1) I am an international student studying in the states. Where does this put me in the overall gist of applications?

2) I do not have time to study for the MCATs given my schedule right now. The only time I could study for the MCAT's is during the summer. However, I was told that the U.S. has rolling applications, and as such, me writing the MCAT in the summer is a great disadvantage...

3) I don't know which schools are more favorable to my conditions than others...

If someone could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it... being bombared with so much stuff right now I can't really figure this out. WOuld it be best for me to finish my program then apply? I really don't know...

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be best for you to finish your program.

Afterwards, I believe you still need to complete some of the pre-requisites (biology, physics, english, etc.) for medical school (I don't know what are the required classes for pharmacy school but I believe they are different compared to medical school so perhaps you need to take additional courses? [I think you completed chemistry and organic chemistry requirements which can be used for medical school application])

While you're completing the pre-requisites, it would be wise for you to study for the MCAT. By this time since you have already finished your program, I believe you can study earlier than summer. check this forum too (although kind of old) for more info how pharmacy students going to medical school: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1140

Being an international applicant is a disadvantage. Not all med school accept international applicants, you will have to check each school individually. And even those that do, sometimes will ask that you show proof of funds to support your med school education since you won't be eligible for most government sponsored loans. However, I have a friend, also an international student in US, who got accepted to MD/PhD at a very good med school. Everything is possible and in your hands! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would look at your situation from the perspective of debt management. Applying to, and funding medical school is an expensive proposition. So is pharmacy school. You have two options:

1) take a leave of absence from your school at the end of this semester. Study for the MCATS and apply early to the application cycle.

2) Finish Pharmacy school, get a job and start paying off your debt. Also gain US residency once you get a job. Once you've built up a cushion that will carry you through Medical School, apply to medical school.

Obviously both have pluses and minuses. Option 1 will put you at a disadvantage when applying. Option 2 will give you a legal advantage when applying and a monetary advantage once actually in a medical school. You could also set up practice/residency in a state where it will be easier to get into medical school.

While the time you loose is a disadvantage in option 2, you will absolutely get into a better school with option 2. Plus, with your pharmacy background, you will kick butt in school, freeing up more time to study for boards. You know what I mean? Don't think about pharmacy as a waste of time, even if you want to go into medicine. Yeah, the more i think about it, I'd go for option 2.

Thank you for the responses.

The problem is not the money - I can fund that. It's just that if I am going to apply, it has to be perfect. I have to guarantee my acceptance...

I have all of the pre-reqs and more, I take courses like pathophisiology, pharmacotherapy and pharmacology on top of the pre-reqs so that should mean something. I just don't know if

1) I'm a competitive candidate
2) When I should study for the MCATS
3) When I should apply