Someone post the unfilled programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edinOH

Can I get a work excuse?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes... yes... we want to knoooooooow!!!

(no worries - secret is safe here :D)

Yeah the secret is safe here and among the hundreds of trollers who dont' post on the internet.

I called our RC and she doesnt' know our status. Scary since apparently 1/2 of hte unfilled spots are in hte southeast!

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing a rads rotation and the PD is my attending...

He says that they don't find out until tomorrow as to who has matched at their program...

So I don't think an unmatched program list exists as of yet...at least not one that is public.

Yeah, I can't remember if they posted the unfilled programs today or if they wait until scramble day. I guess it would make more sense to wait until tomorrow to keep people from jumping the gun.

I think programs find out Tuesday if they filled. Scramblers begin at noon. I happened to be in our Dean's Office for other business and overheard our registrar tell an unmatched student to go to his advisor's office at 11:30 to prepare for scrambling at noon.

Can someone list the open spots by region?
Thanks!

What does it matter to know the unfilled positions by region? If this is your year for the match, then you have access to this info via the NRMP website. If this is not your year, why do you care? How does it affect anything what-so-ever? Are you going to shun programs because their region had slightly more unfilled positions before the scramble? If you are already in residency or practice, are you going to use this to laugh at a certain area of the country?

I don't mean to come across as condescending or rude, it's just strange the stuff that people want. If you give me a good reason then maybe I would change my mind (not that it matters... try searching other areas of these forums and you might find your answers). Rest assured that EM had a very high initial match rate this year (98.1%). Thus, no matter what region, the unfilled spots are low.

Originally posted by the END.
What does it matter to know the unfilled positions by region? If this is your year for the match, then you have access to this info via the NRMP website. If this is not your year, why do you care? How does it affect anything what-so-ever? Are you going to shun programs because their region had slightly more unfilled positions before the scramble? If you are already in residency or practice, are you going to use this to laugh at a certain area of the country?

I don't mean to come across as condescending or rude, it's just strange the stuff that people want. If you give me a good reason then maybe I would change my mind (not that it matters... try searching other areas of these forums and you might find your answers). Rest assured that EM had a very high initial match rate this year (98.1%). Thus, no matter what region, the unfilled spots are low.

WTF?

I talked to my PD last week and he told us that they find out if they filled on Monday, I don't know if they are told how many spots are left unfilled. I guess it gives them time to prepare for the scramble that occurs on black tuesday. I don't know if they are given a list of who hasn't matched. Congrats to all those that matched and good luck with the scramble for those of you that have to.

Medic-
Its on the NRMPwebsite under the My Reports heading.
-Cowboy

in regards to The END

I am actually considering switching from my current specialty into EM.
I don't even know if I am elgible for the scramble since I wasn't in the Match this year,
so basically I am just curious,
I have no idea where your comment came from!

Hey Buggy (and others),

EM PGY 1 Positions
Western Region - 139 with 3 unfilled
Central Region - 329 with 2 unfilled
Sounthern Region - 273 with 11 unfilled
Northeastern Region - 410 with 6 unfilled
Total - 1151 with 22 unfilled (98.09%)

EM PGY 2 Positions
Western Region - 43 with 0 unfilled
Central Region - 18 with 0 unfilled
Sounthern Region - 13 with 0 unfilled
Northeastern Region - 70 with 2 unfilled
Total - 144 with 2 unfilled (98.61%)

Overall - 1295 with 24 unfilled for 98.15% fill rate.

Yep, I think we are officially competitive :scared:

- H

Originally posted by the END.

You may not be aware, but the unmatched programs are only being released to those that did not match (i.e. scramble). This is different from past years when everyone who was entered into the match had access to those programs. All programs' final fillings will be posted to the NRMP website on March 18.

I am sure that you can remember your time during the match, knowing you did match but not knowing where, hoping the programs you really liked filled or didn't fill - trying to gleam a shimmer of hope that you may have matched at your top choice. Or perhaps you yourself were one who "shunned" programs for not filling. Either way, and speaking only for myself, I am happy to have matched, but very curious which of the programs I selected filled (especially my top choice).

OK, so I seem to have offended people. Let's make sure that you all realize my thoughts because I think some of you are confused about what buggymd's request (vs edinOH's OP request) was for.

Originally posted by NinerNiner999
You may not be aware, but the unmatched programs are only being released to those that did not match (i.e. scramble).

That is completely different than asking for a list of unmatched spots in a region. There is no list of unfilled programs available at this point, period.

Originally posted by NinerNiner999
I am happy to have matched, but very curious which of the programs I selected filled (especially my top choice).

Again, that has nothing to do with regional statistics. How will knowing that, per FoughtFyr, the South has 11 spots out of 273 positions unfilled tell you whether your program filled? That could be 11 programs with one unfilled spot, or one program with 11 unfilled spots, or any other combination between. So see, in my mind, I don't even understand how this could be used to "regionalize" your thought process for a scramble (i.e. more spots in the South so I'm gonna hit it hardest) because it could, theoretically, be less programs unfilled than a region with far fewer positions. The work load of match day is contacting different programs, so if many spots are at one program, it decreases the scrambler's workload. Furthermore, I clearly stated that the initial match rate before the scramble was above 98%, thus any person could surmise that few positions would be available.

Originally posted by buggymd
I am actually considering switching from my current specialty into EM.
I don't even know if I am elgible for the scramble since I wasn't in the Match this year,so basically I am just curious

Well, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide. I hope that FoughtFyr's posting gives you the information that you need to make that decision. I don't understand how it can, but, judging from others' responses, apparently it is very important.
The specific program's unfilled list... I do see how that is extremely helpful for the scramble. After all, that's what it is for. I also understand how it's fun to hypothesize why certain programs went unfilled.
I again apologize if I hurt others' feelings, although I suspect the only misdeed I have truly been guilty of is having a different opinion.

EDIT:
So now I feel like my mother would be very upset with me for not being nice. I still hold to my belief that this information is next to useless except to hypothesize things like why this region or that PGY whatever did not do as well as others. Knowing how many total slots- I can understand. Knowing what programs the slots are at- I can understand. But the regional breakdown prior to release of open programs I don't understand. Never-the-less, I posted all of the regional data in another thread titled Unmatched Programs, Regional Data. I hope it helps those who want it.

The list of open programs, once available, can be added as a reply to the new thread and made a sticky to help keep the information handy. Just remember, all the open programs and such is about to change once the scramble starts in a few hours. Also, the NRMP is using a dynamic list this year that will update itself every half-hour so the open programs will change according to what fills.
I again apologize if I hurt feelings, but I don't think I did or typed anything that should.

the END,

I can understand your original post. In my pre-match grumpyness, all these people wanting the match information so bad when they are not even applying annoys me too. By next week all the information, inluding the individual programs that went unfilled will be posted. But I am sure if I would be inpatient to know if i was in their shoes so I'll give them some slack. I really hadn't thought about the match too much until this monday when i found i matched and now it is driving me crazy not knowing where. This is going to be the longest two days of my life.

-P