Something Interesting for APMSA Delegates to look into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now the indoctrination machine is telling us we're experts of the lower limb? Why? B/C we had a separate, 1 semester, class titled "lower limb anatomy?" Yikes, I'm always mindful of what I believe and spread as truth!

Maybe at the Wiskers school of podiatry they only teach one LE class but at the NY school we have several LE classes...

1. LE anatomy
2. osteology of the LE
3. functional orthopedics of LE (gait analysis)
4. Functional orthopedics II of LE - pathomechanics
5. podopediatrics I
6. podopediatrics II
7. primary podiatric medicine
8. podiatric surgery

and we do 5 rotations in our clinic all pertaning to podiatry.

I sincerely hope you were exagerating your post and only having 1 LE class or transfer now.

Are your lower extremity classes taught by faculty who aren't able to do much of anything above the STJ? I just figured that experts of the lower limb would at least be doing routine hip and knee work.
Plus, don't chiropractors have a few classes in gait analysis? I wonder if they are told that they are the spinal/lower extremity experts?

At this rate, we're also pretty keen cobblers too!

I guess what I was trying to say was that some of us say the strangest things and I wonder where these catchy phrases come from and why more of us don't question their authenticity.

Members don't see this ad.

Are your lower extremity classes taught by faculty who aren't able to do much of anything above the STJ? I just figured that experts of the lower limb would at least be doing routine hip and knee work.
Plus, don't chiropractors have a few classes in gait analysis? I wonder if they are told that they are the spinal/lower extremity experts?

At this rate, we're also pretty keen cobblers too!

I guess what I was trying to say was that some of us say the strangest things and I wonder where these catchy phrases come from and why more of us don't question their authenticity.

didn't you know that the profs speak gospel? (sarcasm)

yes most of the profs are liscensed in NY which is foot only, but they know more than just the foot.

gait exams are always full body analysis - starting with head tilt, shoulder height, hip height...

I forgot to mention the sports med class that we also get and that is taught by DPMs and MDs.

yes most of the profs are liscensed in NY which is foot only, but they know more than just the foot.

gait exams are always full body analysis - starting with head tilt, shoulder height, hip height...

I forgot to mention the sports med class that we also get and that is taught by DPMs and MDs. KRABMAS

Do all the schools(obviously one doesn't) offer courses that do what NY does? And are they as detailed in that they observe full body poster etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a variety of pod specific class but they are under different names.

Biomechanics
Lower limb anatomy
Pod Med and pathological biomechanics
Pod surgery
Basical surgical skills

We get a lot more general med classes. Such as hem, neuro, renal. In each system we have podiatric case studies.

Do all the schools(obviously one doesn't) offer courses that do what NY does? And are they as detailed in that they observe full body poster etc.?

Iam just curious, arent all the schools regulated by AACPM. So i think they all gotta follow some basic rule or guidelines in order to get accredited. Iam not sure, am i correct here or do each school decide its own curriculum.

There are minimum requirements but there in those requirements there are a great amount of freedom.

I am fixing my course schedule for thenext 2.5 years and want to know if it would/not be beneficial to take: cell biology, genectics, pathogenesis, immunology, or a human movements class? IU ask because I can get the prereqs done within my major(Political Science-it was kinesiology but changed). I know th edegree does not matter-though the majority in med schools are chem/biology majors, so I want to make sure I get the valuable classes, I already asked about anatomy/physiology on another post but feel free to add it on to a list if you feel it would benefit an undergrads prepod work.

I would take all of the medical classes possible. It just exposes you to the terminology and concepts. It will make life easier at pod school. But if I was to cut any it would be 1st genetics and 2nd human movements. Again, they will both be beneficial later on; I just think that 3 classes will help more.

I would take all of the medical classes possible. It just exposes you to the terminology and concepts. It will make life easier at pod school. But if I was to cut any it would be 1st genetics and 2nd human movements. Again, they will both be beneficial later on; I just think that 3 classes will help more.

Hey I don't mean to get off subject but was curious about PPAC. Who are our Podiatric peeps who lobby from donating $$ to PPAC? Does the majority of DPM's donate as well? I am just curious why students would be encouraged to donate $20-30, when you could get 10 times more $$ from actual Podiatrists who make a lot of $$$.

I still cannot figure out why AMPA would spend the time getting students to pay a little bit while they could spend the same amount of time and hit up the doctors and professors to make much higher profits? Is it all just an educational purpose for DPM students to get involved and learn about Podiatric legislation? Or a game to compete against other schools for donations? E.G. NYCPM won last year, for donating something like 10K.

How many people are on the PPAC board? Also, does anyone know what the total PPAC annual donations have been in the past?

I strongly agree we need to have lobbying on behalf of DPM's and our future. I have spoken with some DPM's in the past who wished we could get the lobbying power that the AMA or even AOA has.

Hey I don't mean to get off subject but was curious about PPAC. Who are our Podiatric peeps who lobby from donating $$ to PPAC? Does the majority of DPM's donate as well? I am just curious why students would be encouraged to donate $20-30, when you could get 10 times more $$ from actual Podiatrists who make a lot of $$$.

I still cannot figure out why AMPA would spend the time getting students to pay a little bit while they could spend the same amount of time and hit up the doctors and professors to make much higher profits? Is it all just an educational purpose for DPM students to get involved and learn about Podiatric legislation? Or a game to compete against other schools for donations? E.G. NYCPM won last year, for donating something like 10K.

How many people are on the PPAC board? Also, does anyone know what the total PPAC annual donations have been in the past?

I strongly agree we need to have lobbying on behalf of DPM's and our future. I have spoken with some DPM's in the past who wished we could get the lobbying power that the AMA or even AOA has.

To answer some of your question...

To get the power that AMA or AOA has we would need the money that AMA or AOA has and we do not have enough pods in the country much less contributing pods in the country. It is a game of money and numbers.

APMA and PPAC like to get the students involved because if they get us as students then it becomes a good habit to donate to PPAC. It is also used to educate but more like starting a brand loyalty like Coca Cola tries to do at Colleges.

Also if the students donate lots then working pods see that, it may inspire them to donate since a starving student can do it.

To get the power that AMA or AOA has we would need the money that AMA or AOA has and we do not have enough pods in the country much less contributing pods in the country. It is a game of money and numbers.

APMA and PPAC like to get the students involved because if they get us as students then it becomes a good habit to donate to PPAC. It is also used to educate but more like starting a brand loyalty like Coca Cola tries to do at Colleges.

Also if the students donate lots then working pods see that, it may inspire them to donate since a starving student can do it.

Thanks for the response.

Does the APMA and PPAC try organize any music concerts or some kind of shows to generate huge amount of money. i think it will be a good idea. may be organize a running race with some fees,etc.:laugh:

Does the APMA and PPAC try organize any music concerts or some kind of shows to generate huge amount of money. i think it will be a good idea. may be organize a running race with some fees,etc.:laugh:

At Scholl this year we tryed to think of some way to have a fundraiser versus paying it independently. However, we have not yet came up with this. A lot of people are just paying out of pocket for PPAC. I guess there is an incentive of getting into a drawing for a $1000 scholarship, getting some scrubs, and a note pad. Also, there are some of those Lexus owners who could easily pitch in some pocket change.

At Scholl this year we tryed to think of some way to have a fundraiser versus paying it independently. However, we have not yet came up with this. A lot of people are just paying out of pocket for PPAC. I guess there is an incentive of getting into a drawing for a $1000 scholarship, getting some scrubs, and a note pad. Also, there are some of those Lexus owners who could easily pitch in some pocket change.

How abt organizing a music concert. we cud invite some pop-star and do a show. and pay them their fees and take the profit.

I dont listen english music but i do know that a lot of indian organizations do this. the invite indian actors/actress and organize shows in the ALLSTATE ARENA (i hope u know where it is) and believe me even after all the costs they do make good profit.

I think we gotta get more commerical , donations arent gonna work a lot, how much can we contribute.