Somewhere to find recent admissions statistics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neighborr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Forgive me if my answer is obvious, but I'm looking for a place that has all the admissions statistics for each med school (i.e. average cGPA, sGPA, MCAT, etc.)

A quick google search yielded some old results that did not seem reliable.

Trying to decide which schools I have a shot at for this upcoming application cycle.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! lol I knew it would be obvious. Another dumb question - is that the most recent catalog or will AAMC be coming out with one for the upcoming cycle?

Just get the online subscription, you'll get the latest stats

Thanks! lol I knew it would be obvious. Another dumb question - is that the most recent catalog or will AAMC be coming out with one for the upcoming cycle?
I think it is updated each year in March so if you buy it now it will automatically be updated at no charge whenever they institute the changes. I think its ~$35

I think it is updated each year in March so if you buy it now it will automatically be updated at no charge whenever they institute the changes. I think its ~$35
So how accurate is the MSAR if it is updated in March? How do they know where people matriculate? I won't know that before March...

So how accurate is the MSAR if it is updated in March? How do they know where people matriculate?
The stats released each April are based on data from the entering class of the previous fall, not the current one. Acceptee data couldn't be complete until all waitlist movement is done and classes matriculate (which is September for a few schools).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The stats are based on data from the previous cycle, not the current one. Acceptee data couldn't be complete until all waitlist movement is done and classes matriculate (which is September for a few schools).

OK, so the information on the MSAR now is for from the 2012-2013 cycle?

MSAR is worth every penny. If it gets you to not apply to a school that you were previously going to apply to, but now are not going to because of IS/OOS, tuition, mission, MCAT, GPA, etc then you have saved money.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes. Until the April 2015 new release, and then it will be for the 2014 fall entering class.
So, just to hammer the point home, students applying in the summer of 2016 won't have access to any matriculation data regarding the new MCAT scores, since applicants will only start providing new scores this summer?

I got both MSAR and usnews, just cause I like to see the post interview acceptance rate (MSAR only gives you matriculation and interview numbers, not acceptances)

So, just to hammer the point home, students applying in the summer of 2016 won't have access to any matriculation data regarding the new MCAT scores, since applicants will only start providing new scores this summer?
Maybe, or maybe not. Perhaps the April 2015 release will change how they present the MCAT data, incorporating percentiles rather than raw scores, to make converting between the formats easier on everyone.

I thought it was US News that gave matriculant averages.
I think you're right, but I meant showing how many people are accepted. MSAR only shows interviewed and matriculated people, not how many people were accepted (granted, US News doesn't tell you how many of those accepted were from wait list, but it's good enough).

I think you're right, but I meant showing how many people are accepted. MSAR only shows interviewed and matriculated people, not how many people were accepted (granted, US News doesn't tell you how many of those accepted were from wait list, but it's good enough).

I thought about buying US News but did not feel comfortable that they had accurate data. Why is US News able to get information that medical schools do not release to MSAR? Is there any statements from medical school that verifies the information in US News is accurate?

I thought about buying US News but did not feel comfortable that they had accurate data. Why is US News able to get information that medical schools do not release to MSAR? Is there any statements from medical school that verifies the information in US News is accurate?
I'm not really sure. To be fair, I don't particularly trust their data in terms of scores (why I got MSAR in the first place), but I have no reason to discredit their acceptance numbers. As to why MSAR only shows interviews and matriculants, I have no clue. IMO, us news would be completely unnecessary if MSAR included the number of accepted students. The number of matriculated students is generally useless since it's pretty easy to look up class sizes.

I'm not really sure. To be fair, I don't particularly trust their data in terms of scores (why I got MSAR in the first place), but I have no reason to discredit their acceptance numbers. As to why MSAR only shows interviews and matriculants, I have no clue.

To me, this is why I don't trust their acceptance numbers. If they do not appear to have accurate data for scores then why would their acceptance numbers be accurate? I would love to hear an Adcom's opinion on this.

Just get msar. It's worth it

I have MSAR. I was referring to US News Compass as the publication I do not trust. It would be cool if acceptance information was available instead of just matriculation information.