Sonoma vs. Chico Premed?

tristanggp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering which of these two CSU's would be the most preferable for premed program/advising. Just wanna hear opinions and experiences from grads or currents premeds from either schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Any chance you can go to a UC instead of a CSU? The number of students accepted (and applying!) to medical school is quite low from CSU's as opposed to UC's. It's not impossible, but you would stand a MUCH better chance of getting into medical school from a UC.

Community college to a UC is a better option and more common choice for those planning to go to medical school than trying to make it from a CSU.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't matter. Go where you are comfortable.

Some food for thought though..

Chico is party central. If you are the studious kind of kid, then this could be to your advantage... especially in classes that are curved. Find a few good friends who aren't into distractions... while others will be out partying, you will be studying and setting the curve!

If you like Sonoma and feel you will do well there, then go there.

I recommend going the CC route, taking your pre-reqss there and acing them... and then transferring to a CSU or UC of your choice to finish your upper divs.

GPA and MCAT are the things that matter. Doesn't matter where you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter. Go where you are comfortable.

Some food for thought though..

Chico is party central. If you are the studious kind of kid, then this could be to your advantage... especially in classes that are curved. Find a few good friends who aren't into distractions... while others will be out partying, you will be studying and setting the curve!

If you like Sonoma and feel you will do well there, then go there.

I recommend going the CC route, taking your pre-reqss there and acing them... and then transferring to a CSU or UC of your choice to finish your upper divs.

GPA and MCAT are the things that matter. Doesn't matter where you go.
Just like detective said... Where you go doesn't matter, unless your looking for top tier medical schools... A few Ivy Leagues would be good. But again, that's a title. I value a doctor just as much if he graduated from Utah University of Medicine or Harvard, it comes down to the doctor they become. Interpersonal skills and so on.

Reactions: 1 user
The number of pre-meds that make it to the application phase from these two schools is very small.
I cannot recall the last time I saw an applicant from either of them (and I'm looking hard!).
It is possible to become a viable candidate from either of these schools. It just doesn't happen very often.