sophomore slump?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnex3

PennWe c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm probably one of the younger members on this board...
but at my school, we have a phenomenon called the sophomore slump.
and i think i've recently caught it! i've worked my butt off the last few semesters to start off with a high GPA, but i feel like lately i've been very demotivated and just mentally tired. i never want to study nor do i ever study as hard as i used to in the past. i guess i'm just not motivated to try as hard as i did before.

any of you have experience with this? and what did you do to overcome it? i hate feeling so lazy and demotivated all the time -- it's totally not my style.

just the thought of going to vet school used to be enough to keep me going. don't get me wrong, my passion for vet med is not any less than it used to be. it's more of my passion/enthusiasm for STUDYING that seems to have diminished.

Members don't see this ad.

unfortunatly i cannot help you as i never really experienced a sophomore slump. My degree program got more difficult every semester coming to a peak at my 3rd year at university so i was forced to put more effort in with each semester by shear nescesity. I also never heard of the sophomore slump before this which i find strange. I am currently facing a similar problem in my 4th year though. I have notticed INCREDIBLE descreases in my motivation at the end of this semester but i was just assuming it had to do with graduation coming so quickly and the idea of being finished my undergrad just sapping my motivation. I do my best to try to overcome it, in the end i really just promise myself to not do anything too stupid and to make sure i still keep my grads up (which at this point i have). I wish i could be of more help but all i can really suggest is simply refusing to let yourself screw anything up and hoping things go back to normal for next semester. good luck.

I am currently facing a similar problem in my 4th year

Sounds like you have a severe case of senior-itis.

But to the OP...

I have to say I have not heard sophmore slump, but I think you can hit this kind of wall anytime during undergrad (Freshman Flop, Junior Jejuno-jejunostomy :smuggrin:). It probably has to do with the courses you are taking, your professors, and how life is outside of school. For me, I always do my best when I am challenged and busy (keeps me focused and using my time well). Semesters where I have hit a slump usually were because of a lighter course-load or one that wasn't exciting to me (too much chemistry and english, not enough math :laugh:). Once you hit that kind of slump it becomes a mental game, you have to force yourself to maintain good habits and time management. Maybe try studying in a new location, or try out a new method (like re-copy your notes or make flashcards). Changing the routine a bit might help you get re-excited for school. And if all else fails, bribery is always good. Bribe yourself to study/get "x" grade/etc with some sort of prize (chocolate, fun activity, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have ever worked a job you didn't really care for, think about doing that day in and day out. That always motivated me to get back to my books.

hmm I have experienced this multiple times (with the worst being this current semester, but its called senioritis lol)

Try changing your routine... vet school was always a motivation for me, but to increase that motivation, go work in a vet clinic. I started working in a vet clinic and found it even MORE motivation tos tudy those subjects i absolutely hated studying for... it reminded me every day why i was putting myself through those icky courses lol...

I also sneak a peak from the surgery window when i'm really feeling down and this gets me super motivated tow ork my butt off the be the doctor cutting into the horse.

hmm I have experienced this multiple times (with the worst being this current semester, but its called senioritis lol)

Try changing your routine... vet school was always a motivation for me, but to increase that motivation, go work in a vet clinic. I started working in a vet clinic and found it even MORE motivation tos tudy those subjects i absolutely hated studying for... it reminded me every day why i was putting myself through those icky courses lol...

I also sneak a peak from the surgery window when i'm really feeling down and this gets me super motivated tow ork my butt off the be the doctor cutting into the horse.
i would TOTALLY work in a vet clinic...but of course there are none close to where i am, except the Penn Hospital, and i've already inquired about working as a nurse assistant (but we're currently in a hiring freeze) and i can't afford to volunteer there (i'm federal work study, so i kinda need to be paid)

it's just SOOOO hard to find clinical experience around Penn! I absolutely LOVE working at the general practice where i work at back home, and would totally do it at school if i could, but it's just so hard to find!

my motivation to go to vet school is just as strong as it has been, it's just so hard to be motivated to study! and i'm not even a senior, i have no excuse!:thumbdown:

it's just SOOOO hard to find clinical experience around Penn! I absolutely LOVE working at the general practice where i work at back home, and would totally do it at school if i could, but it's just so hard to find!

I would talk to Malcolm Keiter at Penn Vet admissions. When I was a Penn undergraduate he put me in contact with some penn vet alumni who were working at practices in Phili. I ended up working at Society Hill Vet Hospital on 2nd street for my senior year and they even paid me (I was not expecting that). I know job markets are a little tight these days, but it is worth a shot.

Bribery worked well for me. I made a system where the more days I finished studying a lecture/working on a product the more of a particular treat I got to buy myself for the next week (I'm addicted to Sobe's). If I never finished early....no Sobe's. If I finished 24 hours after getting a particular lecture or assignment....enough Sobe's to drink one a day for the next week.

Also, if there's something outside of school you like studying, bribe yourself with study. The sooner you finish school work, the sooner you can spend time on things you want to study!

Hope that helps.

I am also in the bribery camp. I make use of m&ms. One per lecture when I'm studying. You can also use addictions to sites--ie no checking SDN until you have studied for the day or if really desperate one thread per lecture/course. This works well with VIN too once your in vet school. Also figure out what times during the day you study best and use those times to the fullest. Then you won't have to force yourself to study during your "off time" as much which makes it much easier to study. For instance I can't study productively past 9pm so I have to make good use of my afternoons. One other idea is to add an activity in I find if I have too much free time I am not as motivated to study. If I have more to do I am more focused when I do have time to study.

Good luck--now I need to get back to studying clinical pathology!

Sounds like you have a severe case of senior-itis.

But to the OP...

I have to say I have not heard sophmore slump, but I think you can hit this kind of wall anytime during undergrad (Freshman Flop, Junior Jejuno-jejunostomy :smuggrin:). It probably has to do with the courses you are taking, your professors, and how life is outside of school. For me, I always do my best when I am challenged and busy (keeps me focused and using my time well). Semesters where I have hit a slump usually were because of a lighter course-load or one that wasn't exciting to me (too much chemistry and english, not enough math :laugh:). Once you hit that kind of slump it becomes a mental game, you have to force yourself to maintain good habits and time management. Maybe try studying in a new location, or try out a new method (like re-copy your notes or make flashcards). Changing the routine a bit might help you get re-excited for school. And if all else fails, bribery is always good. Bribe yourself to study/get "x" grade/etc with some sort of prize (chocolate, fun activity, etc).

Haha, that is so true for me, too. This current semester is really light with the exception of orgo and it totally kills my motivation.

(However, it is sort of my school's fault- I can't continue onto most higher level science courses until I've completed the bio I'm currently in. So I'm kind of stuck taking "filler"-ish courses.)

it's like a vicious cycle. first, i get demotivated about studying. then i sit around, being lazy, then i get super frustrated at myself for not trying harder, so i get motivated to try again. then i get tired of being motivated, and everything starts over again. i beat myself up about it all the time, because i just don't understand how my motivation can diminish so suddenly and i used to be like a model student - i used to be so enthusiastic about studying. it's not like i'm getting Fs or something, but still, it's terrible :thumbdown:

If you have ever worked a job you didn't really care for, think about doing that day in and day out. That always motivated me to get back to my books.

So true.....

As a 14 year old I had the gall to tell my parents that I did NOT want to do field work anymore (crop picking, hand weeding, shearing, fence repair, etc) which paid by the project/bushel/fleece, was really physically demanding, dirty, and very unglamorous. I could not work at 'real' businesses (dumb farm girl!) So, my mother gamely took me to every place in town that hired 14 year olds. I got a job at walmart, 20 hours a week. My schedule was tied to a friends who worked there as well. He drove us there after school, after my shift was over, I walked to the vet clinic 4 miles away that my mother worked at for a ride home. I worked there for 2 years. For 7 years I couldn't even stand the smell of a McD's. The obnoxious part? I STILL ended up doing lots of field work...so instead of doing less strenous work, I was working MORE...field work plus the hourly job.

Thank goodness my father took pity on me and taught me how to weld. I spent 16 working at pet stores and Walmart, 17 working as a clerk for a TV station during the week on vacations and a mail sorter on weekends and a waitress in the evenings throughout the year...but the moment I turned 18, I started getting employment as a relief welder. paid far better but I was the only woman on the floor and put up with a ton of crud and outright harrassment. I also had a couple of injuries, including a 3rd degree burn on one arm. Still a great skill that gets me work anytime I need it.