Undergraduate sophomore looking for some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynne8832

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently a second semester sophomore and I plan to apply to vet school during the fall of my senior year (fall 2021). Although I have a lot of time until I apply, I was wondering if anybody could look at my stats/hours so far and offer any advice or tell me if I'm on the right track!
Cumulative GPA: 3.71
Veterinary Hours:
- 410 hours as a veterinary assistant at a small animal hospital (I plan to work here for one more summer to get more hours- I perform tasks such as blood draws, x rays, surgical prep, watching surgeries, running fecal floats, heart worm tests, administering vaccines, and assisting the doctors during exams- it is great hands- on experience!)
Animal Hours:
- 3,000 equine hours (taking lessons, riding on my university's IHSA team, leasing horses, giving lessons)
- 400 hours dog sitting
- 30 hours cow-sitting one of my friend's dairy cows
- 20 hours from an introductory animal science lab (we toured the equine, sheep, dairy, beef, poultry, and swine farm and performed very basic tasks)
- 45 hours from a course at my university where I was given a pig for the semester (I went to the farm weekly to feed and bathe my pig, clean the pig pens, and train my pig, at the end of the course, we put on a livestock show and showed our animals)
(I plan to volunteer at local zoos, human societies, or rescues for the next few years to diversify my animal experiences before applying :) )
Research:
None yet
Employment:
- 700 hours as a waitress at a deli
- 345 hours babysitting
- 50 hours tutoring in high school
Extracurriculars:
- FFA Secretary in high school
- FFA Vice-President in high school
- IHSA Equestrian Team Show Member (550 hours)
- IHSA Equestrian Team Treasurer (430 hours)
- Pre-Vet club member (45 hours)

I plan to take the GRE this summer so that I have plenty of time to re take it if I need to!
Thank you in advance for any feedback!:)

Members don't see this ad.

What are your science/last 45 GPAs? Veterinary experience-wise you might be a little on the lower side, but not terrible. Having other employment beyond animals is a plus..."real world" and all. Research is always a plus, but not 100% necessary.

What schools are you looking at?

I'm actually only a second semester sophomore so I don't have a science/last 45 GPA yet! After this summer, I should have around 1,000 small animal veterinary hours as I will be working as a veterinary technician's assistant full time this summer and I am also looking for an equine vet to shadow over the summer! I am also trying to get into a research project for next year (my junior year) and I am planning to volunteer at a local wildlife rescue on the weekends as well so hopefully that will help my application by the time I apply! And I am looking at UF, NC State, Penn, UGA, and a few others!

oh your doing fine experience-wise then. Research can definitely help you stand out. Keep your grades where they are and you should be fine.