sore back/OMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Realchiro,
adrianshoe is incapable of normal conversation, he feels the need to continually prove himself superior!

Sorry

Members don't see this ad.

wheatfarmer,

No problem. I spend 80% of my practice time dispelling myths. At least it feels that way sometimes. By the way, what school did you/are you attending?

smile.gif

nothing personal at all, just dont like to treat mice problems with nuclear weapons...I am a bit cynical regarding why many manipulations get done.
if you need some type of documentation, read the osteopathic principles book (red book)...you treat soft tissue problems with soft tissue techniques, you don't hypermobilize someone needlessly without first seeing if the problem will resolve with conservative treatments. As long as we are on this thread, how about some LEGITIMATE documentation on OMT period. Maybe we shouldn't open THAT can of worms.
the above principle is somewhat based upon "first do no harm"

The only reason to manipulate FIRST would be if you could get paid for it...and that is what i find offensive and see being practiced with the chiropracters and the overly aggressive bone crackers. not saying you are one of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
As for why your patients get better with treatment its because its been shown in scientific studies that there wasn't any statistical significance to chiropractic manipulation and time to resolution...in other words they would have gotten better with time anyway... The only thing that has been significantly improved with manipulation (and also with MASSAGE) is patient satisfaction.... NEJM had an article just last year on this very topic.
I personally would save the patient money and explain to them up front why i wasnt manipulating them and i have a feeling that they and their wallet will be well satisfied. Of course I would be poorer.

Manipulation is never going to earn a legitimate SCIENTIFIC good name for itself until it is USED in a more judicious manner, and THAT is my personal opinion.

NEJM Nov 1999- found no significant difference in time to recovery by treatment of LBP with either standard medical therapy and manipulation

JAMA- 11 Nov 1998, found NO significant advantage to manipulation for tension type pain.

these were controlled studies. not conjecture.

The wheatfarmer can only say he is in medical school.

Freedom!!

I would disagree that i feel superior to everyone, just those sniveling folks who hide behind pseudonyms and are scared to even identify which grade school they are attending.
-john shewmaker

Comon shoey...do the "superior dance".

I think you guys need to get off of John's back a little. After all John's education is far superior to that of Mr. chiro. Someone who defends their treatment methods by explaining that he/she gets positive self-reports from their patients instead of backing their comments up with SCIENTIFIC data deserves very little consideration. Listening to the radio today there was some type of doc explaining how sleeping on a bed made of magnets could cure almost any type of musculoskeletal dysfunction. What type of evidence was he using to back up his assumptions? His patients told him it did. Wow..! Since it is Dr. Shoey now, I think we should give a little more weight to his thoughts instead of worrying how he might offend RealChiro who may have seen more patients but does not have the medical education that Doc Shoey does.

While I appreciate the comments rolltide, i cant completely agree...a chiropracter with several years of experience has the potential to far more educated than any graduating fourth year medical student in this particular subject, especially a DO medical student who has to wade through rhetoric and smoke/mirrors to find reality.
same goes for PAs with five or six years of experience....lightyears better than most interns. (all other things being equal)

I don't question that chiro has more experience, or that he is more knowledgable about muscle mechanics...I just disagree with radical treatment when conservative therapy is as effective without harmful side effects.

I am sorry, I was only poking fun.

I think that is why we have been debating this. My intent has been to compare thoughts of 2 different professions (well I guess really 3). And I would imagine if we remain civil, this could be very interesting. I think realchiro may be gone though.

I didn't read all of the responses, just the initial post. But here's my 70 pesos...
Try laying on a basketball, if that doesn't work a bowling ball should do it, have fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
the hole is a little too small...oh you said laying ON a basketball...whoops.

I stand corrected...although I think it is limited to the scope of the current condition being discussed.

[This message has been edited by RollTide (edited 05-20-2000).]

First of all, thank you for the stimulating conversation.....

As for the naysayers and for those who feel compelled to challenge chiropractic and/or what it is about, I am used to this and have dealt with it for years, so it is nothing new... Some of my best patients were sceptics and many of them are in medicine...

Now, Categorically I hope:

ADRIANSHOE,

You stated: "you don't hypermobilize someone needlessly without first seeing if the problem will resolve with conservative treatments."

I find this statement interesting. You say that one should not hypermobilize. To differentiate the differences between OMT and CMT, we must first look at the mechanisms of the two. For example in manipulating the lumbar spine, OMT, and correct me if I am wrong, utilizes a long lever torquing technique. For those who have studied OMT, a good example is the thigh-genu deltoid maneuver. Named so for the contact points of the doctor. This maneuver, to manipulate the lumbar spine, uses a long axial torque, placing a greater loading pressure on the discs. There is a potentially high risk of disc injury in this technique. Whereas, the CMT, and the chiropractic approach to the same area, might utilize a specific contact point of the hand, directly on the spinous, the transverse process or the lamina. This maneuver is very controlled and, while the patient is in a side-posture, the correct vertebra can either be released from fixation or repositioned; in millmeters of course. The difference being, very little torque is applied in the CMT; rendering it safer and indeed "conservative".

You then state: "The only reason to manipulate FIRST would be if you could get paid for it...and that is what i find offensive and see being practiced with the chiropracters and the overly aggressive bone crackers."

I find this to be an interesting perception and in the context of who is more conservative: the MD, the surgeon or the chiropractor, I tell my patients this.
If you go to the MD, you will likely receive prescriptions. If you go to the surgeon you will likely receive an injection or possibly surgery. If go to the chiropractor you will likely receive an adjustment and some adjunct therapy. So which treatment was the least threatening, the least invasive and would have the least repercussions? Assuming there effectivity, which procedure would be more cost effective? The MD/DO prescription visit and consequent Rx will likely be more expensive in the long run....

You stated: "As for why your patients get better with treatment its because... ...scientific studies that there wasn't any statistical significance to chiropractic
manipulation and time to resolution...in other words they would have gotten better
with time anyway... The only thing that has been significantly improved with manipulation (and also with MASSAGE) is patient satisfaction.... NEJM had an article just last year on this very topic."

Hopefully you find studies by the US Department of Health & Human Services to be credible. In their recent report, "Understanding Acute Low Back Problems", they funded a study on the various treatments of back problems. They state that traction, TENS, massage, biofeedback, acupuncture, injections in the spine, back corsets and ultrasound have not been found to speed recovery or keep acute back problems from returning and may be expensive".... The report states that Spinal Manipulation can be helpful in the first month of low back symptoms. It should only be done by a professional with experience in manipulation." I can cite more studies....

Wheatfarmer..

KC?

Rolltide.

You stated: "After all John's education is far superior to that of Mr. chiro." Please elaborate. Also, I am a doctor, but if it gives you some feeling of superiority to call me mister, as human behavior would dictate a crudeness of inferiority, then by all means go right ahead. The federal government, state governments and most insurance companies recognize me as a doctor.

Curious, please explain how acetylsalicyclic acid works. I would appreciate documented studies. Thank you. There is a point here.

ADRIANSHOE,

You stated: "I don't question that chiro has more experience, or that he is more knowledgable about muscle mechanics..."
Actually, it would be far more than muscle mechanics. Not to be laborious, but if you like I can list my degreed curriculm. *years education. Thank you for the support.

ewagner,
"My intent has been to compare thoughts of 2 different professions (well I guess really 3). And I would imagine if we remain civil, this could be very interesting. I think realchiro may be gone though."

Still here, until the populous prefers otherwise. I too enjoy the conversation. I find it both educational and informative; I assume from all parties involved.

alexccms,

"Try laying on a basketball, if that doesn't work a bowling ball should do it, have fun."

There is a very therapeutic ball that can stretch spinal musculature, but you would not want to do this in cases of facet syndrome as the posterior joint structures can bind in approximation and actually cause more pain.

interesting dialogue.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Realchiro (edited 05-22-2000).]

I have a few questions about chiropractic. First of all, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the goal of CMT is to relieve nerve interference. Is the primary method used by chirpracters to do this based on realignment of the spine? It seems that in the chiropractic philosophy, joint dysfunction is considered the primary cause of whatever pain or symptoms are being treated (translation: joint dysfunction is causing interference of nerve conduction.) From what I have learned of OMT, we tend to view joint dysfunction as occurring secondary to muscle spasm usually. Because of this, many of our techniques focus on the muscles (muscle energy, strain-counterstrain, soft tissue stuff.) Does chiropractic ever focus similarly on muscle spasm, or is joint dysfunction almost always considered the primary problem? It seems to me that DO's and DC's use similar techniques, but they are aimed at treating different things. Is this accurate?

ewagner has mentioned a few times that he has some concerns regarding HVLA. Assuming I am correct in describing the chiropractic philosophy so far as to say that DC's focus on joints as the primary dysfunction, I can understand why HVLA is a prevalent technique to use. However, if DO's consider joint dysfunction to be secondary to muscle spasm (which may or may not be secondary to other reflex problems), isn't using HVLA neglecting to treat the primary dysfunction in many cases? I realize I have grossly oversimplified the philosophies of these two fields, but my main point is to find out if I am correct in saying that DC's and DO's view musculoskeletal dysfunction in quite different ways.

UHSO3,

Curious, is the call name = u stink?

As you describe the concepts, yes they are similar. The DC philosophy versus some of the concepts don't entirely agree. A more recent construct is one that I posted on 5-18 @ 6:19pm. For the sake of brevity and to not exhaust duplication, I ask that you read that post; thank you. I recall learning about A.T.Still and the manipulation to release body humors... or another definition; Osteopathy: "A school of medicine based upon the idea that the normal body when in "correct adjustment" is a vital machine capable of making it's own remedies against infections and other toxic conditions."

Our modern Chiropractic definitions include the entire joint structure and view the assemblage of the joint(s) as a vertebral motor unit; including the osseous structures, muscles, connective tissues, ligaments, etc. As for addressing muscles. It is something I do on a daily basis. They must be addressed concurrently. The muscles [in CMT] are considered a secondary feature to the neural component, but may be attended to in the overall treatment.

As for the use of similar techniques. Chiropractic borrowed many of osteopathy maneuvers but modified them to address that which we do. As I noted in another post, the OMT in many cases may be less specific contact than in CMT. We utilize a contact to isolate a specific segment. The closest (I believe) that OMT comes to this would be the anterior move. As for HVLA? I am a little rusty. I think I know what this is. Define please. Thank you

smile.gif

Regarding medication costs versus treatment costs....This is simply dishonest...a typical chiropracter will order XRAYS for soft tissue injuries where xrays are not indicated, will have the patient come in weekly or even twice a week, and will also used OTC pain relievers and all the additional treatments i mentioned....MOTRIN is not more expensive than a needless xray.

The amount of spinal mobilization isnt the issue, the NECESSITY of it is the issue, and for soft tissue problems it clearly isn't NECESSARY thus it is hardly conservative. YOu saying that you are only moving the spine a few millimeters doesn't make it suddenly conservative or even true...
Misquoting a report doesnt make manipulation suddenly appropriate for soft tissue injuries either,
As for cyclooxygenase inhibitors, which are useful in blocking the prostaglandin pathways thus blocking the mediators of inflammation while in the short term very tolerable by a large percentage of the population, the advantage of MEDICAL training is being able to ascertain who is at RISK using such medicines, lacking such training, chiropracters really have no business even suggesting OTC pain relief.
clearly pain medicines should be used with caution and with proper guidance...there is a real advantage to being a physician here, as a physician can prescribe COX2 inhibitors.

Titles really aren't an issue with me, a doctor of home economics is called dr. so we might as well call everyone dr. anyway since it is a meaningless term...call me John.

I don't get the u stink thing, what is that about?

HVLA (high velocity low amplitude) is a direct technique we use when we find a restriction in the ROM and then move the joint into that barrier. All other motion above and below the joint is locked out and a thrust is applied directly into the barrier, which is usually followed by an audible click. So far I have learned to apply this to cervical, thoracic, and lumbar vertebrae, the sacrum for forward and backward torsions, and the inominate for anterior/posterior rotations as well as superior or inferior shears.

My previous post was not meant as a challenge (in case you took it that way.) I am only trying to better understand the similarities and differences between OMT and CMT. I still don't get the ustink thing.

[This message has been edited by UHS03 (edited 05-22-2000).]

ADRIANSHOE,

You stated: "Regarding medication costs versus treatment costs....This is simply dishonest...a typical chiropracter will order XRAYS for soft tissue injuries where xrays are not indicated,..."

I couldn't agree with you more. No test, or procedure by any doctor, should be ordered unecessarily. No MRI, no CT, no lab test, no surgical procedure. No medication or prescription of any kind should be given unless absolutely necessary. You are right. But how many patients, in hospitals or GP's offices undergo unecessary procedures every day? The point is, this travesty occurs daily.

On numerous occaisions I see a similar scenario played out in my office. The patient was in a MVA. They reported to the ER and radiographic studies were taken. They are sent home with NSAIDS, flexoril and pain relievers. After a couple of days of suffering, the patient seeks out my care. I retrieve the radiographs, only to find two views missing; flexion and extension. One might consider taking these views as frivolous or unecessary, but after doing so the evidence of soft tissue and ligamentous damage is shown and they are demanded in cases of suspect hyperflexion/hyperextension injuries.

There is a characteristic instability in the area of connective tissue damage that no NSAID, flexoril, or pain reliever can correct. Only the skill and precise positioning that can be attained by adjusting. In some cases, a supportive collar is employed for a brief period; followed by strengthening exercises. The interesting thing is, the patient finds immediate relief and subsequent visits of continued relief and is then released. Meanwhile the ER or emergency clinic that delved out the meds thinks that their protocal worked. So what happens? They continue to repeat the same procedure over and over, never realizing what truly achieved the correction of the problem.

As for prescribing OTC. We, as a profession, have chosen not to engage in medications of any kind, since there are plenty of practioners that already do so. Ours is a fairly natural approach to manual medicine without the meds. Relating that some superior
knowledge is required to open up a PDR and study the indications and contraindications to a given medication requires no superior talent. Granted, I do little of this because of choice, but numerous occaisions have left me to assist a patient who has been left with conflicting meds that either the MD or pharmacist has missed... Does that make me an expert at prescriptions? Surely not....

You stated: "The amount of spinal mobilization isnt the issue, the NECESSITY of it is the issue, and for soft tissue problems it clearly isn't NECESSARY"

That is your opinion which you are entitled to. I try to refrain from making blanket statements for clarity of position..

"Misquoting a report doesnt make manipulation suddenly appropriate..."

Please elaborate on how I misquoted a report. Perhaps it was you who misinterpreted my comment on the report.

ADRIANSHOE, it would appear that you have hostilities towards our profession. It is evident by your attacking. I am here for purposes of discussion and not to threaten your domain. If I believe someone requires an antinflammatory, I refer them to one of the MDs that I have a referral relationshp and they are sent back to me for chiropractic care. Your opinion as to whether it is right or wrong, good or bad, has no real bearing on the outcome of whether or not people utilize it or other disciplines refer for it.

I am not here to debate on whether or not it is appropriate care or of it's efficacy; that has already been proven. I would prefer to engage in discussion beyond personal conjecture as to a practice's worthiness.

UHSO3,

Oh no. The ustink was nothing personal. LOL..
I was thinking your handle was a clever chemical name as in a sulfur compound; ie. hydrogen sulfate (not enough sulfers) I know of someone else who uses such.

Anyway, thank you for helping me understand the HVLA. Hadn't heard that term in a while. Guess its just one of those terms that sticks with each discipline. Okay, HVLA. The adjustment is delivered utilizing a high velocity low amplitude thrust. It works from the premise that the high velocity will more precisely address a particular joint, which may be surrounded by joints not desiring to be "moved" or adjusted. The mechanism is such that the joint is taken to "end play" or to its physiological end play, at which point the thrust is given; sometimes with recoil and sometimes held steadfast...... I believe that this sounds similar to your description.
The key in the manipulation is truly speed.
Recalling a very important equation from physics; F = MA.... Force equals mass times acceleration. The mass (bone) can be moved using either a geat deal of force, or with a higher acceleration. Most would opt for a more comfortable and fast adjustment than a slow and forceful one, as the latter is less painful. In fact, if enough acceleration is utilized, the patient feels little discomfort whatsoever.... good question.

My question: Is the OMT utilized for specificity, particularly, or is the emphasis placed on strickly joint mobilityj?

Great questions.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Realchiro (edited 05-22-2000).]

I have stayed out of this for a while, but I see something developing.
Realchiro,
Though I respect your opinion and your experience, there is something you do not understand. When I was going through PT school, followed by Strength and Conditioning certification, followed by Arthritis Foundation certification, followed by continuing education, followed by post-professional doctorate classes; I thought I truly understood the muscculoskeletal system. I felt that my training was superior to any "doctor", I saw the same scenerios in the clinic that you see.
But once I entered medical school I realized what I DIDN't know! No offense, but I don't think you realize the time and effort that goes into medical school level courses ( I thought I did). It isn't as easy as opening up a PDR. Chiropractic and physical therapy schools just don't realize they they ARE NOT the "be all and end all" of musculoskeletal care. The musculoskeletal system is too interconnected with the rest of the body to assume a school of thought concentrating in one area of the body fully understands the rest of the body.
I realize this now. And yes, I know you are tought very similar classes in chiropractic school, as was I in PT school. But that doesn't mean a thing! Fully trained physicians must practice as fully trained physicians at ALL TIMES, and so when it comes to our training...we raise the bar.
My thought is this...the patients that come to you do NOT feel that their condition is life threatening, therefore your differential is VERY VERY SMALL and also VERY DIFFERENT. This smuggness that is developing in your posts is beginning to frighten me(because it was something that I had a few years back). I begin to worry when you say you treated a true cervical ligamentous injury in your office.
I worry when you speak of drug interactions that you consulted a patient on.
I worry that you are practicing medicine without going to medical school.

No offense is intended.

I go to the University of Health Sciences (UHS) and I am in the class of 2003, so I go by UHS03...Ugh, please don't remind me about general chemistry any more than necessary
smile.gif

As far as your question, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by using OMT for specificity. We certainly do use it to increase joint mobility, but as far as specificity goes, I'm not quite sure what you mean. The basic thing I am trying to figure out though is why HVLA is such a prevalent technique among DO's. Our mantra is to "treat the cause not the symptoms". yet we are taught more often than not that muscle spasm or underlying viscerosomatic reflexes are the true cause of joint dysfunction. HVLA seems to address the joint in particular, but I don't quite see how that does anything for an underlying muscle spasm, other than suddenly stretch the muscle creating a positive feedback cycle that perpetuates the spasm. Maybe I'm missing something in the physiology of it all. Since chiropractic considers vertebral dysfunctions to interrupt nerve conduction, I can understand why thrust techniques are used abundantly in that profession (correct me if I am wrong about that.) I would expect DO's to use much more muscle energy and other techniques that address the muscle spasms directly. My impression so far, however, is that DO's rely heavily on HVLA, which according to things I have understood so far from the DO world, addresses a problem that occurs secondary to other pathology.

Earlier you were speaking about mechanoreceptors in the muscles. Were you referring to muscle spindles? I'm just asking to clarify it for myself. This is a great discussion by the way. I was hoping something like this would come up eventually.

Since you asked for it Mr. Chiro, here it is. Sorry folks, this might get ugly.

As far as the superior training issue, I said "I stand corrected" and you should have accepted that, but since you felt like you should resond, here is a little data produced by your own proffession:

Chiropractic in the United States:
Training, Practice, and Research

Editors
Daniel C. Cherkin, PhD
Senior Scientific Investigator
Center for Health Studies
Group Health Cooperative of Puget Sound
Seattle, Washington

Robert D. Mootz, DC
Associate Medical Director for Chiropractic
Department of Labor and Industries
Olympia, Washington

This project was supported by grant number HS07915 from the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
AHCPR Publication No. 98-N002
December 1997

"In an inventory of preadmission requirements comparing schools of medicine, dentistry,
osteopathy, podiatry, chiropractic, and optometry (Doxey, 1997), chiropractic students scored the lowest of all professions evaluated on four outcome measures (minimum
number of semester hours, completion of 4-year bachelor's degree, minimum GPA required on entrance, and average GPA of previous year's entering class). The study examined printed resources collected during 1995 from 17 medical schools, 16 chiropractic schools,15 dental schools, 16 optometry schools, 16 osteopathic schools, and 7 podiatric schools. All of the included colleges were located in the United States and represented a broad geographic distribution."

...Hmm..I think most of us can agree that one's GPA is fairly representative of the amount of understanding we have of a subject area. I also think that we can agree that a person who holds a B.A. or a B.S. or some other degree is somewhat more "educated" than someone who has completed only 60 semester hours of coursework. But then you say " but that has nothing to do with our medical training". I would disagree, I think there is a reason that admissions standards are set high for medical students(MD/DO not DC) but don't worry I am just getting warmed up.

Some more data from the same report:

" A recent study found the grade point average of students entering chiropractic schools is 2.7 compared to 3.5 for those entering medical schools (Coulter,submitted). Medical schools use the results of a standardized examination, the MCAT, as part of the selection process. Chiropractic schools have no standardized equivalent."

Now I agree that many chiro schools have similar basic science classes but with less qualified instructors. But take a look at what this report put out by YOUR proffesion said about the clinical experiences:

"The contrast between the two programs is dramatic in the area of clinical clerkships,
which averaged 3,467 hours in medicine versus 1,405 hours in chiropractic. In medicine
this comprises, on average, 74 percent of the total contact hours, while in chiropractic it
comprises only 29 percent "

the report went on to say:

"Thus, on average, medical students receive twice the number of hours in clinical
experience but receive over 1,000 fewer hours in lectures and laboratory education. If the
medical residency is included, the total number of hours of clinical experience for medicine rises to 6,413 (Coulter, submitted)."

Medical students receive 5 times as many hours in clinical practice if you include residency (this is conservative because the number of hours quoted in the report refer to a short residency of 3-4 years when some medical students spend as many as 7-10 yrs in post graduate training). So you, as a chiro student, were sent out to care for patients with no supervision with one-fifth the clinical training of a medical graduate. Not to mention the fact that you do not see one-onethousandths of the pathologies that a medical student does. Nor do you learn how to utilize the many different treatments available to minimize the pain and suffering of your patients. Please do not kid yourself by saying that you choose not to be able to do surgery or prescribe medications that could help your patients. Your training does not enable you to do so. So is a medical student's training superior to yours? Of course it is. Does your training enable you to have an intelligent chat about a simple musculoskeletal problem? Yes.

As far as the Doctor thing. You mention all of the institutions that consider you a doctor but leave one out. The patients. When a patient tells a family member "I'm going to see the __________." Your patients insert the word chiropractor not doctor. Chiropractors and podiatrists and all other health personnell have a place in our healthcare system but they are not the equivalent of a physician.

BTW please do not refer to chiropractic care as a unique sytem of healing that does not require surgery or medication as many of your "straight" colleagues do. There was and is nothing unique about it. There are records showing that the infamous Mr. Palmer signed into questbooks at A.T. Still lectures and studied under one of Dr. Still's students in the art of manual medicine long before he decided to call it his own. D.O.s had the good sense to recognize the need for surgery and medications when they had developed into something that was more useful than harmful. DCs chose not to by declaring spinal manipulation to be the end-all be-all of medical treatment, and by virtually ignoring the need to improve the quality of education in their schools until the past decade.

Oh I forgot to answer your question..

Acetylsalicylate inhibits prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase by acetylating an essential Ser residue on the enzyme. This blocks the synthesis of prostaglandins and thromboxanes. Since thromboxanes are invloved in the constriction of blood vessels and platelet aggregation, low doses of asprin can reduce the probability of MI and strokes by reducing thromboxane production. Since prostaglandins can elevate body temperature, and cause inflammation that results in pain, the inhibition of prostaglandins can help reduce pain.

Now, I am sure you have a pomit right? Why did you just not make your point to begin with?

Realchiro, please listen closely. The stating of ones opinion in a firm manner is not an indication of hostility, it is an indication of conviction. I could counter that you are showing a selfesteem problem by continuing to try to make this a hostility issue.

I am glad we are in agreement regarding useless xrays.

Nor will we reach agreement regarding mobility so we have no basis for further discussion there.

I would ask you another question? Do you really think MOST chiropracters USE the PDR or do they just tell the patient to medicate themselves. Do they also give advice regarding colds and flus and regarding allergies? In other words, do they use the title Doctor as leverage to promote other
things such as homeopathic (fraudulent) medicines etc...
I know of several that do this, is it a trend?
Regarding Natural medicine...this is really just a catch phrase....snake venom and poison ivy are natural...there is no added advantage to natural its just a word for the gullible.

Rolltide,

As I stated before, you have some very serious issues with domain. It is clearly evident by your penchant to attack. Why do you feel so threatened? If it makes you feel better, I will concede that you are in some way superior to me, if it will help you to overcome the obvious hatred you regularly display.... That isn't what this discussion is about, but after reading some of your posts, elsewhere on this forum, it is apparently what you are about. I mistakenly fell prey to your one sided arguement which I shouldn't have allowed myself to do. It is negative!

BTW, my patients do call me doctor. The medical doctors, RNs, LPNs, lab technicians, hospital administrators, who are patients, also call me doctor. They, unlike you, have respect and hopefully the type of respect you will once earn from your patients some day..... I imagine that patients make reference to seeing their eyedoctor, their footdoctor, their heart doctor, their lung doctor and their back doctor. You are no doubt, superior to these professionals as well. By the demeanor of your comment, you probably thought I am offended to be called chiropractor. Actually, I am very proud to be a chiropractor!

Our profession is relatively young and as such it has far to go. The caliber of education has improved over the years and will continue to do so. I noticed that you omitted information from that report and I am in the process of obtaining a copy. I believe the report also makes mention that "It has taken 100 years for chiropractic to approach the point where it can be referred to as a mainstream health care provider."

Anyway,. so much for pissing contests...

Also stated: "BTW please do not refer to chiropractic care as a unique sytem of healing that does not require surgery or medication as many of your "straight" colleagues do."

Actually it is very much unique...
I commented previously, that chiropractic borrowed some of osteopathic maneuvers but modified them. We are the only POE provider that utilizes manula medicine 100%. I understand that there are still a few DOs yet that engage soley in manual medicine as well...

Stated: "DCs chose not to [referring to medication & surgery] by declaring spinal manipulation to be the end-all be-all of medical treatment, and by virtually ignoring the need to improve the quality of education in their schools until the past decade."

This statement is wrong. We regularly refer and receive referrals with other health disciplines as we do not treat all conditions. Another false statement about education. Our educational standards began improving over thirty years ago, and found standardization with the convention of CCE; our accrediting body, over twenty years ago.
I commented that, as a profession, we chose not engage in medication or surgery. You've given the impression that prescribing affords you some superiority. I find this to be a very strange perception, but again everyone is entitled to their opinion.. I guess all in all you were right about one thing.... You effectively changed the discussion to ugly!

Mr Chiro

ADRIANSHOE,

Thank you for clairfying the differences between hostility and firm conviction.

The use of a PDR to understand the applications, indications and contraindications of medications is to glean information that anyone can utilize. To do so, does not imply that one is practicing medicine or offering medication advice. What it can do, is prevent serious consequence in some circumstances. Having an astute observer, involved in a patient's health care, can help prevent such serious consequence. A given scenario: My patient reports to me that he began having intense cephalgia, since taking a new Rx, and after his reporting this to both the pharmacist and his MD, no action is taken to investigate his complaints. Then I read and evaluate the properties of some of his meds and find serious drug interactions and suggest he ask again about any drug conflicts, is this the practice of prescribing? Is the noted fact that the pharmacist and MD refuted any consequence to the drug interaction and denied further investigation into the patient complaint, a negligent action? Particularly after I encouraged the patient to insist that the pharmacist review all information, at which point he did, and the pharmacist immediately had the patient withdraw from taking the new med, is this offering advice, in some way, construed as bad?
True case by the way....

Similar case. Patient is given the wrong prescription and sent home. Being on antidepressives, she develops a serious drug interaction and collapses while in my reception room. I inquire as to what she has been taking; discover the conflict and call her MD. Is that astute observance to be construed as bad?

Anyway... Stated: "...such as homeopathic (fraudulent) medicines etc...". Well much of the latest homeopathic effort is being engaged by a fellow by the name of Julian Whitiker (sp), an MD. I don't use homeopathic remedies. I encourage nutrition, as my bachelors degree is in nutrition. Do I counsel patients on nutrition? Yes. I believe that proper nutrition, or the lack thereof, is a key ingredient; link if you will, to many disease processes. Phytochemicals and antioxidants have been clearly demonstrated to be essential to proper health....

I would still appreciate understanding more about the mobility issue.

very interesting perceptions.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Realchiro (edited 05-23-2000).]

ewagner,

As stated: "The musculoskeletal system is too interconnected with the rest of the body to assume a school of thought concentrating in one area of the body fully understands the rest of the body."

That goes without question and that is also why our curriculm covers everything from cellular biology and pathology to gross path, neurology, physiology and studies that go well beyond the musculoskeletal. Granted, the core of our treatment are neuromusculoskeletal related issues, but our understanding exceeds these boundaries. Without question, while we engage in the classroom studies, we have much further to go in a residency-type of learning environment. This is the area that medicine excels in and one that our profession is working toward.

stated: "Fully trained physicians must practice as fully trained physicians at ALL TIMES,..."

Those cases that I see are not always those that would be considered admittable, since many times they are not the type of cases I would treat anyway. Correct me if I am wrong but, I would venture to say that a cardiologist would also not see many of the cases a GP would. Patients simply would not expect that specialist to address those issues.

stated: "I begin to worry when you say you treated a true cervical ligamentous injury in your office."

I am not sure what your concerns would be, regarding this issue. It is something that I treat on a fairly regular basis and that which is genre to what I/we do. Naturally, just as is the case with any condition I treat or perhaps do not treat, I would refer to the appropriate specialist. This is one of the reasons for discussion. It seeks to dispell some of the myths and have an understanding for what we actually do. So much negative propaganda is disseminated by people who have a real passion for destroying chiropractic that it takes some critical thinkers to see through the smoke screen.

So often is the case, that people hold pre-conceived notions of what we do. After they learn more they realize that it may not be as they perceived. Again this is one of the daily challenges of practice and one that I am used to. The bottom line is about education. Education is also one of those issues. Many people are suprised to learn of the curriculm that is required of a DC. Some are of the opinion that we have a limited educational experience or that the course work does not cover any degree of depth. They are suprised to find that we study pathology, cardiology, microbiology, genetics, radiology, GI/GU path, etc. Anatomy alone exceeds 34 credit hours or about 630 clock hours. Again, I say this in effort to better understand what we do.

I suppose negative people bring out negative discussion which may have changed the tone of our discussion and, for them, I am dissappointed. Perhaps it changed my tone.

great conversations just the same.
smile.gif

I am not trying to be negative, rather I am trying to be cautious.

My feeling are this; despite all that I thought I knew at a well trained PT, it is nothing compared to the orthopedic surgeon etc. To think that I (or you) could successfully manage a true anterior longitudinal ligament tear without orthopedic surgical consultation is downright foolish.
I of course know that you recieved many hours of path, cell bio , etc. So did I. But the standards of medical school simply weren't there.
Go to pathguy.com and see the level of detail we need to know for pathology alone, and see the eduacational quality of our instructor. They push us to the limits because they simply don't know which of the students will be the next neurosurgeon evacuating an epidural hematoma. Why would your instructors or my old PT school instructors challenge us in such a way? There is no need! Neither a DC nor a PT will ever make life saving decisions.

I am not trying to insult you in anyway, it is just that I was VERY pro-PT direct access prior to med school. Now I am anti direct access, and I would actually say anti DC direct access (meaning without physician referral).
I hope this does not put you on the defensive, I am only trying to explain my convictions and how they have changed.

[This message has been edited by ewagner (edited 05-24-2000).]

ewagner,

I believe I understand the direction you are coming from. I think that maybe the perception of our curriculm is like that of physical therapy. That may be one of the perceptions that could be better understood. To my knowledge it is not quite the same, though I am sure that there are parallel similarities. As I stated previously, our education has been gearing us toward PCP. Now I realize that this causes a stir for some people, but every direction has it's beginings and we are not there yet. Again, this is one good reason for conversation; to better understand what each other does.....

As stated: "To think that I (or you) could successfully manage a true anterior ligament tear without orthopedic surgical consultation is downright foolish."
Certainly, there are varying degrees of ligamentous tearing and to reitorate, I do refer for those requiring surgery; just as other doctors do. As you know, tears are not always either maximal or negligble; there is in between....

Stated: "But the standards of medical school simply weren't there."

I am not sure what you mean by standards. Those instructors who taught me pathology, were themselves MDs who also taught at the nearby med school. Many of our students studied at the med library, since the reference material was excellent and they had a great facility for having study groups.
It was not uncome for us to talk with the med students and exchange ideas and dialogue as to our curriculm. I had the opportunity to get to know several students and it was quite interesting, the similarities of our studies. There were many occasions when we would be studying the same material. I recall one time when a fourth year was looking at some notes I was copying at the copier. He said noted that he had had the same instructor for neuro path as I did (two different schools). He commented that they did not go into the depth that he saw us going into. On other occasions we experienced many other similarities. All of my diagnostic courses were taught by MDs.
Does this have any bearing on quality just because an MD taught it? No. My anatomy coursework was largely taught by a PhD in anatomy and my physiology was taught by a PhD in physiology. The instructor that picked up the difference had a PhD in Physical Therapy. She became a chiropractor, as she was impressed by our education. Did they challenege us? Absolutley, for that very reason.... because it would be assumed that we would recived a "glossing over" of material. Believe me, we did not.....

When you discuss "raising the bar", this is exactly what most schools have done. Those judging us, for the caliber of education, have perceptions based on the past. The problem, as I mentioned previously, is that we lack the residency program that would enable more hands-on experience. I admit this. But the caliber of classroom education would suprise many people.

Our clinic detail included a complete examination, all and any necessary blood/lab work (venipuncture), U/A, radiology with analysis, EMG, referral to local hospital for any necessary diagnositics we could not provide in house, as well as other procedures I may not recall. But, yes we have a ways to go...

Stated: "Neither a DC nor a PT will ever make life saving decisions."

I am not certain if the following qualifies as "life saving", but I would consider it such. Just to name a couple of serious cases.
One such was a female, ~56yoa. She presented with abdmominal pain. She had been to her GP, who Rx'd tagamet (back when it was popular).
She told me that her back was hurting and that she felt an adjustment would help. I examined her; auscultated, palpated and percussed all quadrants, found a loss of bowel sounds, dullness on percussion and hardness along the right costal margin, questioned her discovering rapid weight gain in the last few weeks. I surmised there to be a mass in near the right kidney. I referred her immediately to a surgeon, (who accepts direct referal from me) and he scheduled surgery; called me from the hospital to tell me that he reoved a large tumor that had grown into her kidney. He had to remove the tumor and kidney which was malignant. He thanked me for finding it, as did the patient, since it saved her life.

Another, which I recall, was a 60yoa male, with difficulty on urination with blood in urine. He reported having bouts of returns for urination. Lower back pain. On examination of the prostate, the sulcus was absent and hardness was palpable. Next did a sed rate, and specimen for PSA. Referred the patient. He is still living. Does that qualify as life saving? I don't know......

Numerous others, but just giving you a sampling of some of the work I do so as to better understand. I am both trained and licensed to do so, in case there is a question again of practicing medicine w/o a license....

Curious to know if those protocals are taught in Physical therapy? I don't know.

Stated: "...I would actually say anti DC
direct access (meaning without physician referral)."

The very understanding you raise, would demonstrate the reason that MDs and DOs need to be better informed as to what we do. From what I was able to glean, from earlier conversations here, there are some perceptions that our knowledge is soley of the spine and that we "crack bones." I would like to enlighten a few so as to correct that perception.....

Being POE doctors does not mean that we treat all complaints or conditions. It means that we are able to differentiate those complaints that we treat from those we refer.
I know of two ER doctors that know to refer to me for certain neck and spine injuries, as that is what I treat. There is a local OB/GYN clinic that refers expectants to me to address SI and lumbar spine compliants as well as cephalgia.....

Not everything is crisis care for me. Nor is it for many GPs...

I enjoy being able to address the questions.
smile.gif

I have about 2 minutes to respond.

So you are telling me that you performed a prostate exam? As a chiropractor!

Through our discussions I can tell you are an intelligent man (at least that is what gender I think you are), and I am glad that you address medical issues with appropriate referrals. What I am concerned about is the performing of medical examinations and the overstepping of licensing bounderies. I stated once before, and I will say it again...it worries me to no end that people are practicing medicine without going to medical school! PLEASE say that you don't do see yourself as a family physician. Please.

ewagner,

I am still perplexed why you feel that health care can only be taught in med school....
If you take qualified instructors, organize a teaching environment and teach the material, is it not valid without some medical blessing? Sorry, but I just don't see the correlation. Also, my education is from an accedited college, both regionally and nationally accepted. My diploma, board exams, and state licensure permits me, yet there is some question, by you, that it doesn't have the medical seal of approval..... Hmm! I will contemplate a while...

Just curious, but can an Osteopathic college provide an education similar to medical college? Does an osteopath require the medical blessing to be official? I am not trying to be sarcastic, but just inquisitive.
BTW, thanks for the pathguy site. And yes, that is the very material which I studied. Do you know Dr Friedlander? I have heard of him. Also, the school where I was able to interact, as I previously mentioned is http://www.kumc.edu/

very interesting thoughts.
smile.gif

Well, Osteopathic "college" is medical school. I don't have the time to discuss this, but I take the USMLE and the COMLEX, I will be fully liscensed physician. I am now a bit frightened that you think taking on the responsibility of full physicals including cancer screening is within the relm of practice of a chiropractor.
Yes, I know Dr. Friedlander, he is my pathology instructor.

I dont think Ewag was questioning so much whether you can learn about medicine, he said he was upset that people without proper credentials were PRACTICING medicine...that's the issue, the PDR is the physicians desk reference...if it were ok for you to refer to it and give your patients advice from it, it would be called the LAYMANS desk reference....you have NO BUSINESS giving anyone any medical advice because you are not a licensed medical practioner, and the fact you use the nebulous title of DR. to FOOL your patients into a false sense of your own legitimacy to practice things you are not licensed to practice is FRIGHTENING...oh yeah its also ILLEGAL. bringing up what is wrong with OUR profession is a nonsense diversion, since we aren't talking about OUR problems so to try to justify YOUR problems in YOUR professions with the blanket excuse of WELL YOU HAVE PROBLEMS ALSO, is not only nongermaine to the topic, it is a cynical attempt to divert discussion.

Thank you Adrianshoe,
The practice issue was what I was really trying to convey (PA's, NP's, DC's ...whomever).

One additional point, on the topic of antioxidants...if you give a person to much of an antioxidant I HOPE YOU ARE AWARE THAT YOU INCREASE this persons free radical formation and can cause HARM. This psuedoscientific crap regarding antioxidants is a very dangerous "alternative medicine" arena where Poor chemists yet good entremanures are making a lot of money without really having a clue whether they are harming patients. A recent study demonstrated that Taking certain antioxidants DELAYED healing compared to taking selenium and zinc. I will try to locate this topic as NUTRITIONAL QUACKERY is a pet peeve of mine.

John, the American Heart Association seems to agree with what you said. Here is what they say:

"Considerable evidence now suggests that oxidants are involved in the development and clinical expression of coronary heart disease and that antioxidants may contribute to disease resistance. Consistent with this view is epidemiological evidence indicating that greater antioxidant intake is associated with lower disease risk. Although this increased antioxidant intake generally has involved increased consumption of antioxidant-rich foods, some recent observational studies have suggested the importance of levels of vitamin E intake achievable only by supplementation. There is currently no such evidence from primary prevention trials, but results from secondary prevention trials have shown beneficial effects of vitamin E supplements on some disease end points. In contrast, trials directly addressing the effects of beta-carotene supplements have not shown beneficial effects, and some have suggested deleterious effects, particularly in high-risk population subgroups.

In view of these findings, the most prudent and scientifically supportable recommendation for the general population is to consume a balanced diet with emphasis on antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables and whole grains. This advice, which is consistent with the current dietary guidelines of the American Heart Association, considers the role of the total diet in
influencing disease risk. Although diet alone may not provide the levels of vitamin E intake that have been associated with the
lowest risk in a few observational studies, the absence of efficacy and safety data from randomized trials precludes the establishment of population-wide recommendations regarding vitamin E supplementation. In the case of secondary prevention [protection of people known to have coronary artery disease], the results from clinical trials of vitamin E have been encouraging, and if further studies confirm these findings, consideration of the merits of vitamin E supplementation in individuals withcardiovascular disease would be warranted. [13]"

ewagner,

You are right... Osteopathic College is medschool. So why call it Osteopathic? Osteopaths abandoned most of it's tennets years ago in hopes of wanting to be part of medicine. The original mainstay of Osteopathy; Manipulation, is pretty much an elective course now, is it not. In fact, the emphasis on manipulation is downplayed, as medicine has now engulfed most all of Osteopathy. (I believe in England they are still taught to be true Osteopaths). I recall, years ago, an Osteopathic school, in KC (I believe on Independence avenue) that almost went belly up, and I believe it was in bankruptcy, due to low enrollment. They opted to become medicine, apparently to survive.

ADRAINSHOE..

I have answered each and every one of your attacks and I guess you are insistent at making the dialogue "ugly", as you put it.
I opted to carry on a legitimate discussion about two professions and the best conversation you can muster is to attack my profession, as if you were qualifed to render such opinions.

It was, as I stated, in a previous post; some people of medicine, only accept what is taught to them in med school, as nothing else outside of that exists. That doesn't hold true for much of medicine, so I will not hold it against everyone for your shortsidedness. Sometimes you have to take the blinders off and see what else is out there.

As for the PDR, you are caught up in a disturbing myth to assume you are the only one who can read or follow content. If you had paid any attention to my previous posts, you could have understood my application of the text. Apparently, you chose to see what you wanted to see and become preoccupied with formulating your next attack, without so much as acknowledging what I said. To grossly overlook the content of my dialogue really shows carelessness on your part and I have no intentions of reposting that discussion. If your limited perception is that only you should have access to a PDR, then you had better pull them out of the libraries and bookstores, so that the "laymen" can't read or understand them.....LOL

As for your arguement of antioxidants, again you do not know what you are talking about and you should not attempt to practice nutrition without a license. The only nutrition you will learn is that which qualifies dieticians. Ie. what flavor gelatin and salted pork the hospital hypertensive patient should have. We have engaged in nutrition, long before medicine took an interest. It was not medicine, but rather biochemists who understood the importance and application of nutrition and vitamins. Some MDs actually refuted any value of supplements; ie your famous Art Ulene. He stated that vitamins are a sham and of no use. So now he has his own vitamin label, and stated that "he was wrong about vitamins and supplements". Hmmm! I guess if he could make it fit his little world, it was then okay.....

The important issue is, and fortunately so, YOU are not qualifed to say what my education and license provide for me. Your discussion shows evidence that you do not know what you are talking about and it is apparent that you do not care to know what we do. One day you will discover that you cannot always fit everything you want neatly into your own narrow concepts... So it is either your ignorance or your insecurities of feeling threatened by me, which dictate your attack. I feel sorry for you that your paradigm is so limited.

Never the less, whether you personally don't care what I know, or agree with how I practice, is something you will have to deal with. In the mean time I am willing to discuss interprofessional concepts for those interested....

BTW, please do not confuse my firm conviction with hostility. I understand some of the reasons for your behavior... You should however, consider diverting some of your frustrations into positive dialogue, as more could be achieved...

Interesting conversation
smile.gif

ewagner,

Ask Dr Friedlander if he knows Dr Ahmed. That was one of my path instructors. Ask what his opinion is of Dr Ahmed and of this Dr's qualifications. Thank you.

Do you know of KUMED or UMKC?
smile.gif

I am not attacking you, YOU are claiming to be a doctor, advertising yourself as a doctor and using the PDR to give medical advice and opinions...YOUR ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES ARE WHAT I TAKE ISSUE WITH. People go to you for help with their sore backs, YOU usurp power under this relationship to delve into areas outside of your arena and to give advice AS IF YOU WERE A LEGITIMATE MEDICAL PRACTIONIONER WHICH YOU ARE NOT....If you think this is a personal attack, wait until the police arrest you...YOU ARE A DANGER thats my only beef with you, sorry you take it so personally and are too damn stupid to see this.

ADRAINSHOE,

It is you that are taking things personally and making personal attacks. Through all of your nonsensical accusations, I have held my tongue and permitted you great latititude...

Again, before attempting to speak about that which you apparently know little about, you should do your homework. You have no say over what other professions are capable of or qualified to do. It is futile for you to apply personal whim and conjecture to contest matters that are fact.... I sense that you are bitter about many things and your posts exhibit such. All I am asking you to do, if you choose not to accept what I say to be true, is to do some research and find out what is accurate before enagaging in conversations you are not versed in. I enjoy interprofessional discussions with people who can speak intelligently and with some authority. ....

great discussion.
smile.gif

Realchiro,
Sorry if you have been offended.

AS for the story of our school in 1988, that was the problem of a corrupt President overextending the budget and a hospital that never got above 40% census. Now look at the school! IT is beautiful and our classes have the highest MCAT's ever at UHS (9) on each section. I wouldn't have gone there if I didn't think it was quality.
Regarding the tenets of osteopathy, well, don't forget Still was a field surgeon/physician in the civil war...and as a matter of fact, he never taught manipulation as it is percieved today. He taught myofascial release and articulatory techniques. Our school (est.1916) always taught surgery and pharmacology. AND, there was in fact 2 schools of osteopathy in KC at one time...one that taught medicine and manipulation and one that taught pure manipulation and was later closed for fraud. Osteopathic medicine has never been about ONLY manipulation, it has been about the use of manual medicine as an adjunct to traditional medicine.
I can understand why you can be confused about he orginal concepts of osteopathic medicine because, in yesteryear, the term "osteopathy" was thrown about recklessly and used recklessly.
OPP/ODT is of course still a required course, but one must remember, osteopathy is justnot about manipulation...it is about being a COMPLETE physician.
Regarding Dr. Ahmed(sp?), yes Dr. Friedlander just told me a story the other day (last week). I don't think you really want to know about what was said. And I respect Dr. Friedlander too much to talk heresay.

UMKC, that school has almost lost its accredidation about 3 years ago. No comment.
KUMC, very good school, unfortunately their pass rate on step 1 of the boards went down last year. But it has a great program.

Hey! Lets not try to be diverted here.

I want to get back to the topic of "should chiropractors perform cancer screenings" among other things.

the wheat

Let me correct you on something...
1. Nutrition- I learned nutrition BEFORE medical school, so you commenting on what I know and dont know about nutrition shows a lot about your lack of character, YOU assume that I am just going to confine my nutritional education to what the med schools teach me, while conversely you argue that YOU dont need medical school to learn medicine...you are ****ing hypocrite... I can give you articles showing you the DANGERS of excess antioxidant usage, but you would rationalize them away and you are too lazy to do the research yourself obviously.
2. YOU admitted to using the PDR and to offering Pain relief advice...THAT IS MISUSE OF YOUR SERVICES SINCE YOU STATED THAT CHIROPRACTIC Philosophy ISNT ABOUT MEDICATING. It is unfortunate that you lack the intelligence to understand the illegality of your action...YOU WERE NOT TRAINED TO GIVE MEDICINAL ADVICE, but you are stupid enough to use your other professional license as a cover to do just that. the issue is that YOU admit to practicing medicine without a medical license. Now telling me I dont know what I am talking about, when I am just echoing what you have already admitted to doing openly is just stupid....but then we have sort of figured that out already haven't we.

ewagner,

No problem. Sometimes intelligent conversation must be sifted out from drivel.

Interesting about the school and I am glad that it came around. So it is the one that was/is located on Independence? I am familar with that school. I suppose all of us were called to whatever we felt compelled to learn and sought out that profession that we felt most drawn to. The more this conversation evolves, the more I see why it is necessary.
Some of the postings show evidence that a few from other disciplines may not really know what we do or of our training. My goal is chiefly to relate and understand. I really don't have to open myself up to abusive slams, but I try to build bridges; not burn them. I am hanging in there in hopes that a few sensible and inquisitive people will come forth and show similar interest for better understanding......

Regarding Amhed; which one (Amhed)was he referring to? Thanks.

As for the original concepts of Osteopathy and those which I may be aware of, the same holds true for chiropractic. There are some comments posted here, that demonstrate some antiquated concepts about what we do. Certainly, manipulation is at the forefront, but much has changed from the days of philosophical domination. Another reason for discussion.....

KUmed is a fine institution. I was unaware of the UMKC problems. Studied in their labs there and the facilities were great. Knew a few students there as well. Miss the Roma bread.

great conversation
smile.gif

ADRIANSHOE,

It is quite apparent that you have some deep rooted hatred; not just for me but for others you post to here. My suggestion is that you get over it. Grow up and spare us the expletives. Your demeanor shows immaturity and a penchant for self destruction.......
Your care-free manner inwhich you throw around name-calling is unbecoming of a professional; only assuming that you are one, or hoping to be one! Being vehement won't help your cause either, since you are confronting intelligent people here.

My bachelors is in nutrition, but I am sure that you can top that, so I won't ask your for your CV. Again, as if again were not enough... re-read my posts. Show me specifically where I gave medical advice. If you are asserting that a patient be advised to have their doctor check for medicinal conflicts, is practicing medicine, (excuse me everyone) that is pathetic...... I have a revelation for you. I have absolutely no desire to be an MD. If those are the only parameters in which you can think or discuss, then please just ignore me.

As for the rest of your defaming attempts, I will not accept it. You, in no way, shape or form are about to re-write our scope of practice......

Now, can we get back to intelligent dialogue?

unusual discussion.
smile.gif

Now you want to practice psychiatry...amazing...

As for what you will or wont allow, who cares...YOU arent in a postition to tell anyone what you will allow or not, get a grip. Most folks with a wit of common sense know chiropractic is about money not medicine. This isn't even debatable.
You arent licensed to practice medicine, yet,you admit to giving advice on medication, you justify it by claiming "anyone can read the PDR" and yet you fail to have the insight to see who the problem is. You violate the law and then you act as if REAL physicians and Medical students aren't going to call you on it. duh.

In addition, you defame all medical students by acting as if you are the only person who can research things on their own. That's practically the entire way we learn much of the things we need to know for licensing.
As for having a bachelor's in nutrition, so what, anyone can read about nutrition and much of the pertinent nutrition physiology research that exists has only come out in the past few years, particularly the role of the Leukotriene pathways in triggering VEGF pathways in cancer....that the whole point of using COX2 inhibitors for colon cancer (which thank GOODNESS you arent allowed to prescribe)...so some whacked out undergraduate degree from diploma mill U fifteen years ago isn't very impressive. Showing KNOWLEDGE about nutrition is...thus far you haven't. You only reiterate that anyone can learn medicine as your rationale for practicing without a license...blah blah blah...etc.