Sorry, but I had to do it...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope nobody minds me posting this in here, but the post-bac forum is dead (no one barely replies). Anyhow, I've been reviewing some post-bac medical programs, and wanted to know which ones have the best of the following categories:

Advising:

Linkages:

Size:

anything will help...

pce,
bus/

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly man, you need to attend a post-bacc where you can get A's. That's the most important criteria you can look at. No dental school will discount your post-bacc GPA based on it's name. Science classes are sciences classes. Biochemistry and genetics will be difficult classes wherever you take them. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of post-bacc directly associated with dental schools Most post-baccs are linked to medical schools. So it matters even less where you do your post-bacc in regards to dental school.

The worst thing you can do is attend a program like Harvard Extension School. The chances are everyone will be gunners there. The competition will be brutal. And you would be lucky to pull B's in those classes.

In post-bacc, dental schools are looking for 3.5 +GPA's. They know this is your second turn at going to school for whatever reason. Thus, they expect you to excell in your program. So if you finish with a 3.0 GPA in post-bacc, that would hurt your chances.

Originally posted by mcataz

In post-bacc, dental schools are looking for 3.5 +GPA's. They know this is your second turn at going to school for whatever reason. Thus, they expect you to excell in your program. So if you finish with a 3.0 GPA in post-bacc, that would hurt your chances.

So you mean that doing the sciences on your own at your undergraduate institution and getting a 3.0ish GPA is better than going to a post-bac program and getting a 3.0 GPA? How? Either way you are taking the sciences...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by busupshot83
So you mean that doing the sciences on your own at your undergraduate institution and getting a 3.0ish GPA is better than going to a post-bac program and getting a 3.0 GPA? How? Either way you are taking the sciences...

Umm, because you haven't IMPROVED at all. All you've done is wasted a year of your time.

Post-bacc is to show adcoms you've improved.

right... but some of the post-bacs are for people that have never had any of the sciences yet. how can one improve on something they have never taken?

UPENN has a postbac program for nonscience major.
UCSF has the unique postbac program. But it's like so tough to even get in. And it's a 100% success program. They take such excellent care of their post-bac students. If you guys want to know, check out the ucsf admissions web site and contact their office.

:love: :love: :love: :love:

PM me. Way too confused!

I think he's talking about those post bac programs for those that are non-science majors that have graduated from undergrad, and for what ever reason decide to pursue dentistry, but need to take prerequisite science classes in order to apply.

To answer your question, for people doing post bac work for the above reason, I would assume that they probably wont have as much pressure in doing extremely well in their post bac courses.

But for those that do enroll in a post bac program to improve their gpa, you must do extremely well, which means mostly A's and nothing lower than a B in upper div classes, ie histology, biochem, anatomy, etc. Getting even 1 C or W will waste your time spent in the program. At this point, you're basically running out of options and you have to use this to show "the man" what you got

Originally posted by ohcdn
I think he's talking about those post bac programs for those that are non-science majors that have graduated from undergrad, and for what ever reason decide to pursue dentistry, but need to take prerequisite science classes in order to apply.

To answer your question, for people doing post bac work for the above reason, I would assume that they probably wont have as much pressure in doing extremely well in their post bac courses.

But for those that do enroll in a post bac program to improve their gpa, you must do extremely well, which means mostly A's and nothing lower than a B in upper div classes, ie histology, biochem, anatomy, etc. Getting even 1 C or W will waste your time spent in the program. At this point, you're basically running out of options and you have to use this to show "the man" what you got

OHCDN! YES! finally someone undestand... no mcataz, I'm not confused. Many schools have 2 options, for example:

Program A - for students that already have the sciences prereqs to get into dentals school but need to boost GPA

Program B - fro students that have don't have the sciences prereqs to get into dental school, but have a B.A.

I would be taking Program B. Gav said if you take these post-bac programs, be ready to show them that you have "improved." My question was: "How do you improve if you are a student a Program B?" Obviously, they have never taken the sciences yet...

thanks,

bus.