SOS Interview Apparel Help Needed ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keenalkene

Reaction score
My first interview is on Friday and I fly out for it tomorrow. I had heard that people normally wear suits to the interview, so I put on my navy suit today. I've been hitting the gym a lot for the past couple years since I got that suit and my shoulders and chest are too big for it now. All I have is a blazer and some nice grey formal pants and a white shirt. Am I going to be totally underdressed? Any advice on where to get a nice suit on short notice would be very appreciated. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

My first interview is on Friday and I fly out for it tomorrow. I had heard that people normally wear suits to the interview, so I put on my navy suit today. I've been hitting the gym a lot for the past couple years since I got that suit and my shoulders and chest are too big for it now. All I have is a blazer and some nice grey formal pants and a white shirt. Am I going to be totally underdressed? Any advice on where to get a nice suit on short notice would be very appreciated. Thanks for any help!
My friend, you need to plan better. One of the most important interviews of your life and you decided to check your apparel the day before flying out?

Go to somewhere like JC Penney, Belk, Dillard's, or something like that. Get a conservative suit in medium gray or darker, make sure you've got black shoes to go with it, and don't wear a skinny tie. The suit will be off-the-rack, but you can get something that fits well enough without breaking the bank. When you get back, get it altered to really fit well.

Nice job with the gainz!

Reactions: 1 users
My friend, you need to plan better. One of the most important interviews of your life and you decided to check your apparel the day before flying out?

Go to somewhere like JC Penney, Belk, Dillard's, or something like that. Get a conservative suit in medium gray or darker, make sure you've got black shoes to go with it, and don't wear a skinny tie. The suit will be off-the-rack, but you can get something that fits well enough without breaking the bank. When you get back, get it altered to really fit well.

Nice job with the gainz!

Thanks I appreciate the help! There is a mall with a Joseph A Bank and some other places that I'll probably check out. How bad will it look if I show up in what I have if I can't find anything that fits at those places. Thanks to those gainz my proportions are going to be hard to fit with an off the rack suit I worry. I definitely messed this one up but fortunately my interview skills are pretty killer so maybe that will save me this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went with Navy suit :O

Matching suit that fits well > matching suit that's not tailored >>>>> sport coat/blazer

If you aren't wearing a matching suit you will stand out in a very very bad way. I haven't seen a single interviewee in a sport coat or blazer. Unless you're literally swimming in the suit or it's bursting at the seams, chances are it will be significantly less noticeable than your alternative.

As for where to buy, go to a men's store rather than Macy's or something - that way you can get help finding your best fit and they may offer alterations as well. See if you can find separates so you can get different size jacket and pants if needed and you don't have to stress as much about the fit. If the suit you get really looks that bad, see if the store (or another tailor) will alter it on a rush order just enough to get by, e.g. hemming the sleeves and pants and taking in the jacket waist, then you can get more subtle alterations later on. It will probably cost extra to do in a rush but may be worth it if you really feel like it looks that bad.

This is super helpful thank you! As an update I went digging through my dad's stuff and I found a dark navy suit with a subtle pin stripe that fits/looks pretty decent. Based on your recommendation I should probably go with that. The one that's too small is pretty much exploding at the seams on my shoulder so that one is def out.

Reactions: 1 users