*SOS* Program Decision-Making

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparklepuff97

Reaction score
Hello all! Psychology/Computer Science undergraduate senior/incoming (career-changer) post-bacc here. Firstly, I hope you are all feeling/faring well during this difficult time. Personally, I am feeling quite overwhelmed and am looking advice, if anyone here might have any insights into my current situation:

I have been admitted to a few post-bacc programs for summer and fall, and am completely lost as to how to proceed. All of my previous pros/cons lists have been more or less thrown out the window by the current conditions and consequences of COVID-19. That said, does anyone have any advice for picking a program?

All of my options have great "reputations" (not important to me but seems to be to my advisor), academic support systems for students and opportunities for research/clinical extracurriculars. My biggest complicating factors right now are when remote/online learning will end (allowing me to relocate to the institution...in the interim I would have to deal with time zone differences with the mid-west/east-coast programs from where I live California) and whether pursuing a program with linkages is worthwhile, as I cannot anticipate my GPA in courses in brand new areas for me. A major goal of mine originally was also to start in summer 2020 to allow me a full semester off to review for a May 2022 MCAT exam, which I'm now doubting due to how difficult my Zoom lectures/exams/logistics/overall learning experiences have proven so far.
1f641.png

My academic advisor didn't seem to have any feedback on this aside from remarking that all of my options are good, which has made my feelings of anxiety/indecision skyrocket. I have contacted a number of the program directors to learn more, but otherwise I don't currently have a mentor figure to consult. I would appreciate literally any commentary on this matter, and can provide additional information if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question is kind of hidden within the density of the post, my apologies. It was: "That said, does anyone have any advice for picking a program?"

cost, gut feeling, location

Reactions: 1 user
I looked at cost, schedule of classes that wouldn’t conflict with my ability to continue working, availability of advising.

Reactions: 1 users
For post-bacc programs, the only thing that truly matters is the percentage of students who go on to med school (or the field of their choice). Try to get real. solid numbers from each of the programs you were admitted to. The ones who are shady about giving you real data should be crossed off your list.

For post-bacc programs, the only thing that truly matters is the percentage of students who go on to med school (or the field of their choice). Try to get real. solid numbers from each of the programs you were admitted to. The ones who are shady about giving you real data should be crossed off your list.

the thing is it doesn’t matter if other people get into med school from the program, only if you make it into med school. It can be helpful to look at the percentage of people getting in, but no program is going to be 100%. Who’s to say you aren’t in the percentage that doesn’t get in? Make sure the resources that are important to you are available to you. I was severely lacking in LORs so I wanted a small program where I could get some killer letters.

the thing is it doesn’t matter if other people get into med school from the program, only if you make it into med school. It can be helpful to look at the percentage of people getting in, but no program is going to be 100%. Who’s to say you aren’t in the percentage that doesn’t get in? Make sure the resources that are important to you are available to you. I was severely lacking in LORs so I wanted a small program where I could get some killer letters.
I'm not talking about the difference between a 90% and 96% placement rate like with med schools (though a 90% match rate for a med school is low). I'm talking about placement rates of 60% or less. True, there are a hundred different factors at play in placement numbers, but you have to start questioning whether a post-bacc program is setting you up for success or failure if the placement rates are closer to <50% than 100%.

I'm not talking about the difference between a 90% and 96% placement rate like with med schools (though a 90% match rate for a med school is low). I'm talking about placement rates of 60% or less. True, there are a hundred different factors at play in placement numbers, but you have to start questioning whether a post-bacc program is setting you up for success or failure if the placement rates are closer to <50% than 100%.

I dont know that I agree with this. Goucher and Bryan Mawr have near 100% placement rates but are highly selective in the students that they accept (high GPA, high standardized test scores, etc). I don’t attribute the success these folks have to the program they attended but rather that they would be successful regardless of where they attend. I do think success rates should be factored in someone’s decision but more as a point to investigate further.

I'll throw in a slightly different angle. Try to talk to students and figure out how challenging it is to receive a good GPA. Whether linkages work or not, or you like the program or not, GPA is the most important metric you will be leaving with. When I was researching post-baccs, I attended Columbia's session. Not only is the program outlandishly expensive, you are in a classroom with high achieving undergrads and rigorous grading standards. Instead, I took the required classes at a local four year university (ranked in the 100's) because I felt confident that I could ace every class. This strategy worked well for me.