Sources for Referrals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pacman27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will finishing as a fellow soon and I am wondering whom I should be targeting / investing time (my time isnt worth much :laugh:)

Of course targeting PCP's, Neurology, Rheum, Heme/Onc +/-
Any other doc's
How about PT/Chiro

Anybody else and any good tips on how to approach these physicians. I plan on calling ahead and bringing breakfast/lunch to the clinic. Taking some marketing stuff (Any advice here would be helpful as well) and briefly speaking to the doc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably narrow it down to Primary Care, Ortho (esp spine), Neurosurg, Occ Med.

Heme-Onc would be OK as well. PT/Chiro can be good referral sources.

In regards to Neuro/Rheum, probably meet some of them first, then market to the ones you have good rapport with/trust.

I would probably narrow it down to Primary Care, Ortho (esp spine), Neurosurg, Occ Med.

Heme-Onc would be OK as well. PT/Chiro can be good referral sources.

In regards to Neuro/Rheum, probably meet some of them first, then market to the ones you have good rapport with/trust.

depending on the state you are in, stay away from Occ Med.

A good proportion of WC patients are demanding, unreasonable, incurable, and seeking restitution. And, depending on the state (like mine), pay is not good.

Primary care and Spine for sure. If you are not a block jock, i agree with Heme-Onc. the cancer patients get the most benefit, and are most gracious, although they are sometimes better off with a palliative care doc...

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Occ Med doesn't believe there is a role for anything we do - so don't waste your time

2) Heme/Onc is a waste of time - most of those guys think they know how to much manage pain (ie: escalate morphine until respiratory arrest/death).

3) Focus on PCPs as much as possible - and including chiros and PTs...

1) Occ Med doesn't believe there is a role for anything we do - so don't waste your time

2) Heme/Onc is a waste of time - most of those guys think they know how to much manage pain (ie: escalate morphine until respiratory arrest/death).

3) Focus on PCPs as much as possible - and including chiros and PTs...

Sit and talk to the Heme-Onc. I have developed a great relationship with them and I am getting earlier consults when I can be more useful. Lots of things we can do from an RF or kypho standpoint to help, rather than just refill high dose opiates and add hospice.

I agree with the Heme / Onc thought, I think it may just be a lack of them now knowing what we can do. Many of the cancer patients benefit for months with just simple splachnic nerve blocks, etc... Again my N is very small.

Anyone know how workmens comp is florida.

Thanks

I have tried to educate my Oncs... they are offended at the implication that they need any help (partially because a few of them did Hospice/Palliative fellowships/rotations).

I typically only see their patients when families complain that patient is obtunded due to narcotics.

they also don't believe in aggressive blocks etcs - in fact, they kinda ridiculed me when I got a woman an IT pump for metast. colon cancer for pain relief - because she died a week after implant...

I have tried to educate my Oncs... they are offended at the implication that they need any help (partially because a few of them did Hospice/Palliative fellowships/rotations).

I typically only see their patients when families complain that patient is obtunded due to narcotics.

they also don't believe in aggressive blocks etcs - in fact, they kinda ridiculed me when I got a woman an IT pump for metast. colon cancer for pain relief - because she died a week after implant...

ditto