Spanish in the ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanpj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you screwed or less competitve for programs that serve a large population of Hispanics, such as Texas Tech, U. of NM, Maricopa, etc. if you do not know spanish very well?

Members don't see this ad.

Programs that serve a large Hispanic population are: California, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Florida, North Carolina, and anything in New York City. There is a signifigant Hispanic community in most cities in the US.

I don't think it adds to competitiveness, if only because EM Spanish is easily acquired, or translators to assist.

I wouldn't say screwed by any means. Spanish is not a difficult language to learn, especially if you have some experience with other romance languages. Speaking Spanish would definitely be an advantage in some places however. My program served a 70%+ hispanic city, so you either knew it before or were willing to learn. We had a couple in my class that didn't speak any Spanish who learned enough to function in the ED. The rest of us spoke varying amounts of Spanish before residency, and we had one native Spanish-speaker in my class. Not being willing to put in the effort to learn the language would have completely taken you off the rank list though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maricopa's web site addresses this exact question and the answer is that it does not make you less competitive if you don't know Spanish (at least at Maricopa).

I speak Spanish, but many of my colleagues do not. There are not many translators around. I would hate to be at my program if I didnt' speak Spanish. At least 1/4 of my patients are Spanish only. But, it doesn't seem to bother them as much as it woudl me.