Spanish language programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpb80

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to go abroad to a Spanish speaking country. Can anyone recommend a good immersion program that offers language classes, has people our age, is reasonably priced, offers some volunteer opportunities, and is fun- of course?

The program does not have to be related to healthcare/medicine (although it would be nice), as I am probably not qualified to take part in medical spanish prog's (b/c I'm only starting med school this fall).

Also, any recommendations as to which country/city to do the program in are welcomed. I've looked into a few (Amerispan, Spanish Abroad), but I feel overwhelmed by all of the info/programs offered- please help. Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm going to one in nicaragua in march where you can shadow at a hospital if you speak some spanish. If you PM me in the middle to end of march, I'll let you know how it was. I've heard there are some good progams in oaxaca and antigua guatamala too, but they're more touristy and expensive. I was looking for something a litle more out of the way. All the programs I saw in costa rica were very expensive. good luck.

In april, i'm going to a place in mexico. Type in Chac-mool in google and you can find their website. I think it looks really good. There is a contact person in the US-who you can actually talk to. Good luck. (i researched this for months and this place seemed the most reliable-a lot of the places I looked into never contacted me after I emailed them-kind of scary)

I've traveled to Guatemala several times and have been in various places in Mexico. I studied Spanish in Antigua, Guatemala and absolutely loved it although it is unfortunately becoming more touristy these days.

There are many reputable programs out there and you shouldn't have too difficult of a time finding one if you do your internet research.

One thing to consider besides the repubility of the program is the safety of the area/country you are planning to be in. For example, you might find a really great program in Nicaragua, but when I was in Guatemala 3 years ago there was constant danger in many parts of the country with armed robberies going on all the time. So whenver you find a program you're interested in, you should go to the U.S. state departments website to look at their comments on local/national stability and safety. Also check out sites like Lonely Planet and the like that often have good and recent in-depth info on how things are.

Just a few suggestions...when I get a chance I will post more on programs that I have heard are good.

Good luck!

medpa