Spanish & Protecting your license

Started by gaba101
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are interested, in general, about the language and cultural gap/barrier...you may want to check out The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. It is a true account of a little Hmong (sp?)girl that had severe seizures. Her parents were very distrustful of doctors. So there was a trust issue, then a language barrier, they also could not read. Just getting the parents to give the medication properly was a monumental task.

Thanks. I've heard of that book--think I'll add it to my summer reading list.
 
America is also the home of being offended by the tiniest thing.

Me: "that Spanish lady"
RXlite: but that lady isn't from Spain! 😱 that's derogatory
Me:

*If someone isn't from Spain, they are not "Spanish." They may be spanish speaking but that =/= "Spanish."

Me: "that latino"
Rxltie: but that person isn't from Latin America! 😱 that's derogatory
Me:

Me: "that Hispanic lady"
Rxlite: she's not just a generic hispanic lady! that person proudly hailed from Mexico! and we all know Mexico is different from Guatemala, Spain, Honduras, Puerto Rico. 😱 that's derogatory

*There is a lot of heated debate about using Hispanic vs. Latino. There is no consensus on what is correct so I prefer to let individuals decide for themselves how they want to be categorized. If someone tells me that they prefer one or the other, I respect that.

Me: "that Chinese lady"
RXlite: but that person't isn't from China! 😱 that's derogatory
Me:

*If someone isn't from China, why would you call them Chinese? 😕 Maybe you are referring to Chinese-Americans? I'm not clear here.

Me: "that Asian lady"
Rxlite: but that person proudly hailed from Taiwan! 😱 and we all know Taiwan is different from Hong Kong, Vietnam, the Phillipines, China, etc that's derogatory

It might be prudent to consider how the patient self-identifies. Very few people I know who are from the continent of Asia (a geographic classfication) call themselves "Asian." Most prefer Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, etc. People get to decide these things for themselves.

OK...let's go all generic then, instead of brand (haha).

Me: "that foreigner" to encompass all ethnicities.
Rxlite: that's so rude.
Me: 😕 (no ideas left?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!)

"Foreigner"? Do you really refer to people that way? It's so "early-20th century". :laugh:

Your post does amuse me a little as well. But as someone who has many friends from other countries I have to say that sensitivity in dealing with people who are different from us is an important skill for a health professional. We should let our patients decide how/if they want to be group-identified and labeled and we should WANT to avoid doing things that could offend patients. It's not political correctness, it's basic common courtesy, to me. People are more than their ethnicities.
 
Well the poster does make a valid point. Many people assume spanish speaking = Mexican (probably b/c there has been so much media attention paid to mexican immigration issues).

I live in an area with a large immigrant population (and all the us vs. them tension that comes with it) and it IS considered fairly derisive to refer to people in this manner:

"A mexican was in here earlier."
"That mexican called again."
(especially if they aren't even mexican!) 🙄

It's more polite to refer to patients as patients, adding the ethnic qualifier if necessary:

"The patient is mexican/is from Mexico so could you print that label in spanish?"

There may be regional variations on what is acceptable. I live in the upper south/midwest region of the United States.



People assume spanish = mexican more often than you'd think. The child in my avatar was recently abducted and murdered here in my city. A few reputable news outlets referred to him as "a mexican child" when the story first broke when in fact his family is from Guatemala. The family's spokesperson (an interesting character in his own right) had to correct the media.


I was born in Guatemala. That is very sad about that child🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
*If someone isn't from Spain, they are not "Spanish." They may be spanish speaking but that =/= "Spanish."



*There is a lot of heated debate about using Hispanic vs. Latino. There is no consensus on what is correct so I prefer to let individuals decide for themselves how they want to be categorized. If someone tells me that they prefer one or the other, I respect that.



*If someone isn't from China, why would you call them Chinese? 😕 Maybe you are referring to Chinese-Americans? I'm not clear here.



It might be prudent to consider how the patient self-identifies. Very few people I know who are from the continent of Asia (a geographic classfication) call themselves "Asian." Most prefer Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, etc. People get to decide these things for themselves.



"Foreigner"? Do you really refer to people that way? It's so "early-20th century". :laugh:

Your post does amuse me a little as well. But as someone who has many friends from other countries I have to say that sensitivity in dealing with people who are different from us is an important skill for a health professional. We should let our patients decide how/if they want to be group-identified and labeled and we should WANT to avoid doing things that could offend patients. It's not political correctness, it's basic common courtesy, to me. People are more than their ethnicities.


All4mydaughter, the purpose of that post (aside from adding a little humor) is that what do you call that person whom you cannot easily talk to effectively because language is a barrier? I could refer to them as what I just did in the prior sentence but man, that is a mouthful! Unless you TALK to the patient (find out where they're from, what they prefer to be identified as, etc), the pharmacist will not know which term is correct (and in this case, COMMUNICATION is the issue). The other purpose of this funny post is that people are easily offended by every little thing and seems like there can never be a houseful of people who are satisfied. The names I was referring to in the post was based on observation--in heated moments in retail pharmacy (too often!), your first observations may be along the lines of "somoene that looks mexican" "someone that looks chinese or asian" "someone that looks white" rather than "someone that is Guatemalan" or "someone that is Lao" or "someone that is Scottish." Anyway.
 
I was born in Guatemala. That is very sad about that child🙁

As a parent who followed the case, I'm devasted. It's getting even worse. The mother wants the child to be buried in Gautemala. Problem is, she is illegal and if she leaves to accompany the body home, she can't return. She's applied for a special visa status for immigrants who are vital to criminal investigations but as soon as she filed she got hit with a deportation order. Very sad. A spanish speaking Ursuline sister has agreed to take the child home to Guatemala for burial. She'll accompany the mom if it's approved. Otherwise, the sister will just do it herself to help the family.
 
All4mydaughter, the purpose of that post (aside from adding a little humor) is that what do you call that person whom you cannot easily talk to effectively because language is a barrier? I could refer to them as what I just did in the prior sentence but man, that is a mouthful! Unless you TALK to the patient (find out where they're from, what they prefer to be identified as, etc), the pharmacist will not know which term is correct (and in this case, COMMUNICATION is the issue). The other purpose of this funny post is that people are easily offended by every little thing and seems like there can never be a houseful of people who are satisfied. The names I was referring to in the post was based on observation--in heated moments in retail pharmacy (too often!), your first observations may be along the lines of "somoene that looks mexican" "someone that looks chinese or asian" "someone that looks white" rather than "someone that is Guatemalan" or "someone that is Lao" or "someone that is Scottish." Anyway.

I don't know what I "call" them. I usually say something like, "Mr. Chavez is coming in and he doesn't speak English so we'll need to print the spanish instructions."
 
I don't know what I "call" them. I usually say something like, "Mr. Chavez is coming in and he doesn't speak English so we'll need to print the spanish instructions."

we have a patient who only speaks spanish....

it's that simple.... I don't know why people make it so complicated:scared: