Speaking of vision issues.............

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1Path

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wondering if any of you are old enough to wear progressive lenses ie fancy bifocals and if so, if your are bothered at all by the lack of peripherial vision while using the microscope.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, not while using the microscope...I am having issues recently when grossing..actually having to take my glasses off while looking a tissue close up for sizing. The trifocals are magnifying things unacceptably it is very irritating

Actually, not while using the microscope...I am having issues recently when grossing..actually having to take my glasses off while looking a tissue close up for sizing. The trifocals are magnifying things unacceptably it is very irritating
Thanks for responding! I was starting to think everyone here either had 20/20or Lasik, which I'm NOT considering. As part of my research, I'll have to gross as well (mice tissue) and do tons immuno's. I'm also looking at a path residency in the VERY distant future and since I was recently was upgraded to bifocals, I was wondering how much these visions issues are real.

Right now, I guess I'll need 2 pairs of glasses and only use my progressives for reading. Yikes, that IS going to be irritating having to switch back and forth!:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually unless your eyes are really bad, you should try reading at the microscope without your glasses. That is the optimal method( i didnt have that option, for some reason, my eyes are so bad I go thru the slide when trying to focus(at least i used to, before they put the limiter on the focus knobs to stop that). Lasik and contacts are not an option for me, thin corneas. I manage, it's just irritating at times.

Thanks for responding! I was starting to think everyone here either had 20/20or Lasik, which I'm NOT considering. As part of my research, I'll have to gross as well (mice tissue) and do tons immuno's. I'm also looking at a path residency in the VERY distant future and since I was recently was upgraded to bifocals, I was wondering how much these visions issues are real.

Right now, I guess I'll need 2 pairs of glasses and only use my progressives for reading. Yikes, that IS going to be irritating having to switch back and forth!:mad:

Actually unless your eyes are really bad, you should try reading at the microscope without your glasses.

I agree with that statement. Your FOV is much higher with out glasses, and it appears bigger. Unless you can't compensate with the microscope like dermpathdoc.
It is annoying dealing with paperwork and reading screens, but oh well... (a number of path docs I know make their fonts very large so they can read their screen with glasses off.)

I agree with that statement. Your FOV is much higher with out glasses, and it appears bigger. Unless you can't compensate with the microscope like dermpathdoc.
When I took medical histology last year (where my vision problems began, BTW :mad: ) I found it difficult to use the scope without my glasses and take notes at the same time. Not only that, I get headaches without my glasses. My vision through the scope WAS fine until I started wearing progressives so right now, I'm trying to decide if I should just purchase another pair of glasses for distance too and use those when I'm at the scope and taking notes.

It funny when I first thought of pathology as a career 25 years ago, I never once thought about having visions issues too. Well duh?:laugh: