Special Masters Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student1222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there is an old long thread about SMPs.

I was wondering if there is a list of well respected program list for SMP?

I think there are a lot of programs out there, but I just want to find out which programs are best and most reliable.

Members don't see this ad.

There really aren't any reliable lists. No way to get around the grind here, sorry. You are going to have to spend some loving time with the postbacc forum.

Based on your location I can suggest that you look into UC's program.

Last edited:
These days though with SMP unofficial linkage declining as programs expand the number of people in them while taking the same amount of people into their MD school there only a handful I think are really worthwhile. Here are the first ones that come to mind; note not some exhaustive list.

Tulane Anatomy: Requires a waitlist from a previous cycle
Temple ACMS: Seems to favor non trads and unique life experiences, 1400 SAT requirement
G'town, Cincinnati, Tufts: The traditional SMPs, majority of grads get into US MD programs
Loyola Boston U: Also solid SMP programs although I think the 3 listed above are probably better bets to some extent

There are a lot of programs like EVMS, Rosalind and Toledo where you are basically relying on "unofficial linkage" to get into that host program specifically, but that "linkage" has been greatly declining in recent years. But you really do need to do your own research and know everything there is to know about the SMP program you want to do before taking the plunge and spending 50+k and taking the massive risk SMPs are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users