Specializing in reconstructive burn surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello. I am currently a medical student, but I am pretty certain that I am interested in plastic/reconstructive surgery (specifically burn surgery). However, I am a bit confused about how to go about achieving this goal. I know matching straight into a 6-year PRS residency is so competitive that it might as well be impossible. I was thinking I would take the longer route of completing a general surgery residency first and then a plastic surgery fellowship afterwards. However, if I only want to specialize in burns, would I have to do the entire gamut of plastics? Or could I do a fellowship focusing on burn reconstruction exclusively and still be considered a plastic surgeon? Sorry if this is a dumb question. It's been hard for me to find specific info about this. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do a burn fellowship out of general surgery residency without doing a plastic surgery fellowship in between.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello. I am currently a medical student, but I am pretty certain that I am interested in plastic/reconstructive surgery (specifically burn surgery). However, I am a bit confused about how to go about achieving this goal. I know matching straight into a 6-year PRS residency is so competitive that it might as well be impossible. I was thinking I would take the longer route of completing a general surgery residency first and then a plastic surgery fellowship afterwards. However, if I only want to specialize in burns, would I have to do the entire gamut of plastics? Or could I do a fellowship focusing on burn reconstruction exclusively and still be considered a plastic surgeon? Sorry if this is a dumb question. It's been hard for me to find specific info about this. Any help is appreciated.

You would be considered a burn surgeon, not a plastic surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would be considered a burn surgeon, not a plastic surgeon.

But burn surgeons are literally the only specialized plastic surgeons that perform those kinds of procedures. General's not going to be reconstructing the burn cases anytime soon.

Reactions: 1 user
I know matching straight into a 6-year PRS residency is so competitive that it might as well be impossible.
Is this really true? According to the latest NRMP data 180 positions/291 applicants = ~62% chance of matching.

Seems like as long as you have the requisite boxes tick'd (board scores, etc) you have a pretty decent shot. About as much as getting into Texas A&M out of high school. My math might not be perfect though.