Specializing in reconstructive burn surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I am currently a medical student, but I am pretty certain that I am interested in plastic/reconstructive surgery (specifically burn surgery). However, I am a bit confused about how to go about achieving this goal. I know matching straight into a 6-year PRS residency is so competitive that it might as well be impossible. I was thinking I would take the longer route of completing a general surgery residency first and then a plastic surgery fellowship afterwards. However, if I only want to specialize in burns, would I have to do the entire gamut of plastics? Or could I do a fellowship focusing on burn reconstruction exclusively and still be considered a plastic surgeon? Sorry if this is a dumb question. It's been hard for me to find specific info about this. Any help is appreciated.
 
Hello. I am currently a medical student, but I am pretty certain that I am interested in plastic/reconstructive surgery (specifically burn surgery). However, I am a bit confused about how to go about achieving this goal. I know matching straight into a 6-year PRS residency is so competitive that it might as well be impossible. I was thinking I would take the longer route of completing a general surgery residency first and then a plastic surgery fellowship afterwards. However, if I only want to specialize in burns, would I have to do the entire gamut of plastics? Or could I do a fellowship focusing on burn reconstruction exclusively and still be considered a plastic surgeon? Sorry if this is a dumb question. It's been hard for me to find specific info about this. Any help is appreciated.

You would be considered a burn surgeon, not a plastic surgeon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know matching straight into a 6-year PRS residency is so competitive that it might as well be impossible.
Is this really true? According to the latest NRMP data 180 positions/291 applicants = ~62% chance of matching.

Seems like as long as you have the requisite boxes tick'd (board scores, etc) you have a pretty decent shot. About as much as getting into Texas A&M out of high school. My math might not be perfect though.