Feb 14, 2020
Status
  1. Medical Student
Hello. I am currently a medical student, but I am pretty certain that I am interested in plastic/reconstructive surgery (specifically burn surgery). However, I am a bit confused about how to go about achieving this goal. I know matching straight into a 6-year PRS residency is so competitive that it might as well be impossible. I was thinking I would take the longer route of completing a general surgery residency first and then a plastic surgery fellowship afterwards. However, if I only want to specialize in burns, would I have to do the entire gamut of plastics? Or could I do a fellowship focusing on burn reconstruction exclusively and still be considered a plastic surgeon? Sorry if this is a dumb question. It's been hard for me to find specific info about this. Any help is appreciated.

OrbitalOverload

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2014
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
You can do a burn fellowship out of general surgery residency without doing a plastic surgery fellowship in between.

Reactions: 1 user

slowthai

holding a barbell.
7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2013
In my gaff
Hello. I am currently a medical student, but I am pretty certain that I am interested in plastic/reconstructive surgery (specifically burn surgery). However, I am a bit confused about how to go about achieving this goal. I know matching straight into a 6-year PRS residency is so competitive that it might as well be impossible. I was thinking I would take the longer route of completing a general surgery residency first and then a plastic surgery fellowship afterwards. However, if I only want to specialize in burns, would I have to do the entire gamut of plastics? Or could I do a fellowship focusing on burn reconstruction exclusively and still be considered a plastic surgeon? Sorry if this is a dumb question. It's been hard for me to find specific info about this. Any help is appreciated.

You would be considered a burn surgeon, not a plastic surgeon.

About the Ads

Jenghiz_Khaan

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 1, 2020
You would be considered a burn surgeon, not a plastic surgeon.

But burn surgeons are literally the only specialized plastic surgeons that perform those kinds of procedures. General's not going to be reconstructing the burn cases anytime soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 9, 2020
Status
  1. Medical Student
I know matching straight into a 6-year PRS residency is so competitive that it might as well be impossible.
Is this really true? According to the latest NRMP data 180 positions/291 applicants = ~62% chance of matching.

Seems like as long as you have the requisite boxes tick'd (board scores, etc) you have a pretty decent shot. About as much as getting into Texas A&M out of high school. My math might not be perfect though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads