Specialty of shadowed doctor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quigleyadam9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no desire to be an opthamologist, but there is one at the local hospital that always agrees to let students shadow him...does the fact it's not in a specialty I wish to pursue from an admissions standpoint?

Members don't see this ad.

you're supposed to keep an open mind about specialties. and the idea of shadowing is to introduce you to clinical medicine, not pick a career path.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no desire to be an opthamologist, but there is one at the local hospital that always agrees to let students shadow him...does the fact it's not in a specialty I wish to pursue from an admissions standpoint?

I shadowed a family practice doc, and I always talk about how I want to do Gastroenterology... It does not matter which speciality you wanna go into... I always talk about the experience itself, how the doctor-patient interaction was, and how that has affected my views on medicine.

you have a long road ahead of you- unless you know 100% what you want to do, experience in any field is good.

from an admissions standpoint, anything clinical is good, the more variety the better, i guess. i guess some state schools would rather see you shadow a FP or IM doc, but honestly it doesn't matter at all.

How would the adcoms ever know that you weren't interested in opthamology?

Would you put "shadowed an opthamologist even though I think his job sux ass" in your work/activities?

Would you put "shadowed an opthamologist even though I think his job sux ass" in your work/activities?

nah for that he'd need to shadow a proctologist

you're supposed to keep an open mind about specialties. and the idea of shadowing is to introduce you to clinical medicine, not pick a career path.
Seriously. Just shadow the doctor and find another doctor with a specialty you're interested in shadowing. Two shadowing opportunities ftw!

also, Lukkie - lol