• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

swman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2005
Status
Hi all,

I've used the search function to see what people have found helpful for their 3rd year OB rotation & shelf. Blueprints seems to come up over and over. Our school however provides the Beckmann textbook free and recommends using that one.

How do these 2 compare?

phoenix0610

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi all,

I've used the search function to see what people have found helpful for their 3rd year OB rotation & shelf. Blueprints seems to come up over and over. Our school however provides the Beckmann textbook free and recommends using that one.

How do these 2 compare?
One is an actual textbook (more detailed, longer), while the other is a review book (high yield, brief overview of everything). I suppose if you reeeeallly want to do well get both--I just used blueprints and did just fine. OB/GYN is a weird rotation in that what you do day to day is actually what shows up on the test, so studying is actually not that difficult.

psymedicus

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I had Beckmann and read from it for background. I think Blueprints is easier to read and more concise since it's a review book. However if you're already getting Beckmann free, you might as well use it. It's not great but was good enough for the rotation. At least in my school, I felt I could have passed the shelf just by going through the rotation. Use the money you've saved from getting Blueprints to get Case Files.

About the Ads