Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Specific question about OB/GYN textbooks

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by swman, Dec 21, 2008.

1. swman

swman Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi all,

I've used the search function to see what people have found helpful for their 3rd year OB rotation & shelf. Blueprints seems to come up over and over. Our school however provides the Beckmann textbook free and recommends using that one.

How do these 2 compare?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. phoenix0610

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    One is an actual textbook (more detailed, longer), while the other is a review book (high yield, brief overview of everything). I suppose if you reeeeallly want to do well get both--I just used blueprints and did just fine. OB/GYN is a weird rotation in that what you do day to day is actually what shows up on the test, so studying is actually not that difficult.

4. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Personally I didn't much care for Beckman. I didn't use blueprints but have heard good stuff about it, so I'd go that way.

5. psymedicus

psymedicus Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had Beckmann and read from it for background. I think Blueprints is easier to read and more concise since it's a review book. However if you're already getting Beckmann free, you might as well use it. It's not great but was good enough for the rotation. At least in my school, I felt I could have passed the shelf just by going through the rotation. Use the money you've saved from getting Blueprints to get Case Files.