Specific question about OB/GYN textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've used the search function to see what people have found helpful for their 3rd year OB rotation & shelf. Blueprints seems to come up over and over. Our school however provides the Beckmann textbook free and recommends using that one.

How do these 2 compare?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I've used the search function to see what people have found helpful for their 3rd year OB rotation & shelf. Blueprints seems to come up over and over. Our school however provides the Beckmann textbook free and recommends using that one.

How do these 2 compare?

One is an actual textbook (more detailed, longer), while the other is a review book (high yield, brief overview of everything). I suppose if you reeeeallly want to do well get both--I just used blueprints and did just fine. OB/GYN is a weird rotation in that what you do day to day is actually what shows up on the test, so studying is actually not that difficult.

I had Beckmann and read from it for background. I think Blueprints is easier to read and more concise since it's a review book. However if you're already getting Beckmann free, you might as well use it. It's not great but was good enough for the rotation. At least in my school, I felt I could have passed the shelf just by going through the rotation. Use the money you've saved from getting Blueprints to get Case Files.