swman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2005
Status (Visible)
Hi all,

I've used the search function to see what people have found helpful for their 3rd year OB rotation & shelf. Blueprints seems to come up over and over. Our school however provides the Beckmann textbook free and recommends using that one.

How do these 2 compare?

phoenix0610

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi all,

I've used the search function to see what people have found helpful for their 3rd year OB rotation & shelf. Blueprints seems to come up over and over. Our school however provides the Beckmann textbook free and recommends using that one.

How do these 2 compare?

One is an actual textbook (more detailed, longer), while the other is a review book (high yield, brief overview of everything). I suppose if you reeeeallly want to do well get both--I just used blueprints and did just fine. OB/GYN is a weird rotation in that what you do day to day is actually what shows up on the test, so studying is actually not that difficult.

psymedicus

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I had Beckmann and read from it for background. I think Blueprints is easier to read and more concise since it's a review book. However if you're already getting Beckmann free, you might as well use it. It's not great but was good enough for the rotation. At least in my school, I felt I could have passed the shelf just by going through the rotation. Use the money you've saved from getting Blueprints to get Case Files.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.