Speech Pre-req Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any of you have trouble satisfying the Speech pre-req requirement for pharmacy schools (specifically CA schools). Because USC requires "Interpersonal Communication" while most other CA schools require "Oral/Speech Communication" or "Public Speaking". Did any of you find a speech course that satisfied this requirement for all schools without having to take more than one speech class? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i ended up having to take two speech courses in one semester in order to satisfy the usc pre-req and the speech pre-req for all the other california schools. i'm not sure if there's any way of getting around it, since usc specifically requires interpersonal communication.

Public Speaking/Debate and regular Speech are quite different from Interpersonal Communication. As far as my experiences go, you can't interchange these classes among USC/UCSF/UCSD/Western

Members don't see this ad :)
star777 said:
Did any of you have trouble satisfying the Speech pre-req requirement for pharmacy schools (specifically CA schools). Because USC requires "Interpersonal Communication" while most other CA schools require "Oral/Speech Communication" or "Public Speaking". Did any of you find a speech course that satisfied this requirement for all schools without having to take more than one speech class? Thanks!

I did.

I had all pre-reqs satisfied for USC except for Speech. I checked with all local colleges and they were all filled or not providing it. I was desperate.
All I needed was a C from any college nearby. Cerritos college was offering the class but was full. But someone mentioned I could get on the waiting list. There were 15 people on the list.

Then I ran into a familiar face who was enrolled in the class. He was a student of mine ( I TAd at CSUF for a year while messing around) He gladly gave up his seat in the class for me.

I don't even remember his name. But where ever you are.. Thank you Sir. :thumbup:

star777 said:

I heard from someone that LA City College has a speech class that covers both interpersonal comm and public speaking.

Some schools will accept either class. I took both classes and found that Interpersonal communication is MUCH more helpful. We had to do speeches as well as learn how to effectively communicate with others at an interpersonal level (which is more what pharmacists do.) I like that USC requires that class as they feel that is is more appropriate to the field. :thumbup:

well i'm in the bay area and have talked to most of the cali schools, and usc insists on differentiating the speech class that they require... i go to berkeley and am currently taking a class there that satisfies the req at uop, ucsf, and ucsd but will probably need to take another speech class at a community college to satsify usc :mad:

So there's no way around it, huh? I'm going to have to take 2 speech classes to satisfy the requirement for all the CA schools?

Joke Question: Where can I take this course by distance studies?

star777 said:
So there's no way around it, huh? I'm going to have to take 2 speech classes to satisfy the requirement for all the CA schools?

save one for the summer right before matriculation, depending on what school you get into. For instance, take speech, then you will have satisfied UCSD/UCSF/Western, then if you get into USC, you'll have to go ahead and take a 6 week course of Interpersonal Communications (Mt. Sac has an easy one). If you get into UCSD/UCSF/Western and decide to go there then you would have only had to take speech.

TrojanAnteater said:
save one for the summer right before matriculation, depending on what school you get into. For instance, take speech, then you will have satisfied UCSD/UCSF/Western, then if you get into USC, you'll have to go ahead and take a 6 week course of Interpersonal Communications (Mt. Sac has an easy one). If you get into UCSD/UCSF/Western and decide to go there then you would have only had to take speech.

Good idea! But if I remember correctly, I think one of those schools requires that you finish all the pre-reqs by the spring prior to matriculation. Can't remember which one at the moment. Anyone know?

star777 said:
Good idea! But if I remember correctly, I think one of those schools requires that you finish all the pre-reqs by the spring prior to matriculation. Can't remember which one at the moment. Anyone know?

western doesn't allow summer courses the summer before enrolling.

TrojanAnteater said:
western doesn't allow summer courses the summer before enrolling.

Thanks!