Speech therapist to MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klownzo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just make sure all the pre-requisite coursework is completed. Most speech programs don't require organic chemistry one and two, physics 2, bio chemistry.
The stats are good for med school.
Keep doing volunteer work until you are accepted.
Study or take a course for the mcat and do well on it.
Have a story for why you are changing to medicine. Show that you want to be a doctor in your extra curricular activities.

(And by you, I mean her)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If she is not currently volunteering, picking up something new would be good even though she has a lot of hours. Other than that, making sure she has the pre-reqs and making sure she has a great MCAT will do it. She's in a great position to get into a few good schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just make sure all the pre-requisite coursework is completed. Most speech programs don't require organic chemistry one and two, physics 2, bio chemistry.
The stats are good for med school.
Keep doing volunteer work until you are accepted.
Study or take a course for the mcat and do well on it.
Have a story for why you are changing to medicine. Show that you want to be a doctor in your extra curricular activities.

(And by you, I mean her)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
1000% this.

I'll simplify it for you. Med school is all a numbers game. If you take a look at the incoming stats of any specific school and that's what you have to offer, then apply. If the numbers are off, admissions will be near impossible. Despite what some of these folks will tell you, these schools will not be like "wow you're older, we want you."

numbers, numbers, numbers

Thanks for getting back to me! She is missing a couple of the pre-reqs but was told from her number 1 choice (University of MN) to not worry about them as long as she can do decent on the MCAT. Her current plan is to take the MCAT next spring and apply to a few schools with competency based requirements. If she doesn't have any luck then she'll take the prereqs she's missing before the following cycle. She's aware that that isn't the most efficient route but in our current situation we can't afford to have her stop working during this current academic year. Maybe in the spring she can do a night class or two... we'll see I guess.

I'll let her know to keep with the volunteering and start crafting her story of why she wants to go into medicine. Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it!
These schools are among the most competitive and several of them limit the number of re-applications.