1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

speed-reading course

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by CareRx, May 21, 2002.

1. CareRx

CareRx Member
    7+ Year Member

Can anyone recommend a good speed-reading course in NYC area or on Long Island (NY)?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I can't recommend a good course, but my roommate took one and said it was a waste of time. They basically said to move your eyes faster.

4. bones

bones Osteopathic Physician
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know very little about courses in NY, but to reply to the other post- I've studied speed reading a little on my own and it upped my verbal mcat score about 3 points, judging from the practice tests I took. Its a matter of learning to use your peripheral vision as you read, and it lets you burn through information at multiple times normal speed w/same (or minimally reduced) comprehension. Takes a lot of energy though- I don't recommend it for pleasure reading!
    :cool:
    bones

5. jasjaz

jasjaz Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have taken a speed reading course twice over the years. It really does help you go faster but you can easily return to your old speed if you don't practice it enough.

6. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In order for speed reading to be effective it takes practice. Unfortunately, most of think it's a quick fix thing right before the MCAT when it really is not.