Speeding Ticket Misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iceqube

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a speeding ticket while on vacation. It is considered a misdemeanor in the state I got it. However, I have contacted lawyers and they said it would not show up on background checks. The what if situation of it showing up on my background check concerns me. I am wondering if I should report it to the school where I’ll be matriculating this August.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got a speeding ticket while on vacation. It is considered a misdemeanor in the state I got it. However, I have contacted lawyers and they said it would not show up on background checks. The what if situation of it showing up on my background check concerns me. I am wondering if I should report it to the school where I’ll be matriculating this August.

You don't need to call the school for this. I've always been told you don't have to report speeding tickets for background checks, but still always checked to make sure when filling out the background check forms (some even say "except for speeding" right on them). You can/should report it at that time (you have to consent and fill out the form with relevant info) but otherwise no one is going to care. If it was reckless driving, DUI/DWI, destruction of property or anything other than straight-up speeding, that's a different story.

Members don't see this ad :)
They’re minor misdemeanors in my state. I disclosed my speeding tickets because I am neurotic but realistically no one cares.
They didn’t show up on my Certiphi bkgd check but one of them (not all three for some reason??) showed up on the separate bkgd check that my school did. Even so. No one cares, haha.

Virginia does this arbitrarily such that even 10 mph over on the highway is a misdemeanor reckless driving. Everyone knows it’s bulls*** and you don’t have to worry at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Bye bye MD.

Kidding of course. If misdemeanor traffic tickets affected matriculation myself and many others would be SOL.