Sports and Getting into Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derronyu95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a third year student at UCSD with a 3.656 GPA. I am currently on the UCSD rowing team and I have only participated in this sport for one year as a walk-on. It is a varsity sport. Here are my other extracurriculars:
Hospital volunteer (still doing it) (4 hours a week)
Former Scripps Research lab intern for 2 months
FFA sciences intern for 2 quarters (bioengineering company)
Shadowing an oncologist (4 months)

My main question is whether or not I should continue rowing for the UCSD team. I have an opportunity to do research on campus next year and I want to apply for a hospital internship that allows more hands-on experience. I also want to join the Flying Samaritans, which holds medical clinics in Mexico on weekends (will conflict with rowing practice). I like the sport and I don't know if I want to sacrifice it to explore more medical opportunities. I also don't want rowing to be just a one year stint. What do you guys think? Should I drop rowing and gain more medical experience? Do Med schools look down on students who have a short stint in an activity? In general, How are my chances for med school at this point? What do I need to work on?

Members don't see this ad.

This is something only you can answer. Do what you love and love what you do.
I have a high respect for a student athlete who can maintain a good GPA like you have, and squeeze all the other stuff on top of theat. These are skills that will serve you well in med school!

My main question is whether or not I should continue rowing for the UCSD team. I have an opportunity to do research on campus next year and I want to apply for a hospital internship that allows more hands-on experience. I also want to join the Flying Samaritans, which holds medical clinics in Mexico on weekends (will conflict with rowing practice). I like the sport and I don't know if I want to sacrifice it to explore more medical opportunities. I also don't want rowing to be just a one year stint. What do you guys think? Should I drop rowing and gain more medical experience? Do Med schools look down on students who have a short stint in an activity? In general, How are my chances for med school at this point? What do I need to work on?

I am also a student athlete and I have no plans to stop. The discipline, organizational skills and time managements I need to balance it all I think will be a major + on my applications according to the reps I have talked to. Freshman year can be tough so it may not be the sports per se. If you notice your academics slipping sure, but if you've already set out to apply and have done well enough so far doing sports, I'd say stick with it.