Sports Medicine 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mizzou_EM

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who all is working on their applications for this year?!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty quiet. Must not be a lot of competition! Haha.

Is everyone filling out and submitting an AMSSM Fellowship Directors’ Code of Ethics for each program?

I did it was hard to find if that's still a current thing or not

Has anyone been receiving any interview invites yet? Would be great to hear who has started offering and also to get some program reviews after interviews.

You won’t get any until August at the earliest (middle to late). There’s a lot of waiting.

I've gotten one so far but it sounds like that isn't typical. Either way the information on different programs seems pretty scarce so some kind of review of different programs and experiences would be helpful.

I have received one but typically most program that have emailed me said they will contact me mid to late August.

I know ERAS opens in July, but traditionally no program looks at your application until middle of August/September. Prior to ERAS, applying to sports med was a paper application. I know because I applied the year before SM fellowships were on ERAS (2012). It was all in paper, I had to mail everything to every program I applied to lol. That being said the applications deadline back then were like around Sept/Oct, not July. SM Fellowships are unique in that we are tied to the given sports season, so the first 6-8 weeks of fellowship is to prepare the fellows for pre-season physicals, sideline management, etc. Usually after the first collegiate football game is when programs will start to look at applications and send out invites (August/Sept). Interviews tend to happen around the middle of September through November.

Best of luck to all that are applying!

Reactions: 1 user
I've gotten one so far but it sounds like that isn't typical. Either way the information on different programs seems pretty scarce so some kind of review of different programs and experiences would be helpful.
I applied to 15 programs and interviewed with 8 so if you have any questions about specific programs or anything shoot me a DM.

I applied to 15 programs and interviewed with 8 so if you have any questions about specific programs or anything shoot me a DM.
I'm applying this year.

Any recommendations for places that are pushing to get more females felllows ? It's very much a Male dominating fellowship and it's been pretty intimidating seeing only males in the fellowship program and all Male attendings :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying this year.

Any recommendations for places that are pushing to get more females felllows ? It's very much a Male dominating fellowship and it's been pretty intimidating seeing only males in the fellowship program and all Male attendings :(
No. I will say my program had more female fellows than male fellows last year.

received 1 so far, but that seems to be an exception compared to years past

Maybe in a couple of weeks, things will start to heat up a bit more..

Just as a reference, I've received 3 so far - offers from programs in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina. I've only had correspondence from two other programs, and those both just said that they have all my materials and plan to hear back in 3-6 weeks. That said, I'm noticing a trend iin offers. They are all during the week (unfortunate, yet understandable/ makes sense), with some even only offering Wednesday dates.

Because of some offers being middle of the work week, I'm curious if anyone can comment on how long it is appropriate to "sit" on an offer. Or, how long programs will leave an offer on the table before withdrawing said offer. With the timing of the interviews, traveling/ booking, use of limited vacation days for interviews, etc, this all means that strategizing interview dates is quite important. Essentially, I'd hate to initially accept and then have to cancel an interview. At the same time, I don't want to commit before I hear back from the majority of the programs I applied to.

As a complete side note, regarding the AMSSM statement - I emailed a copy to every program. I was told by a PCSM fellowship director that it is a requirement for every program despite ERAS not having a place for it to be uploaded. I hope that tidbit of info helps.

Code of ethics can be uploaded as 4th LOR

Last edited:
I have received 5 interview offers so far. Some program have emailed me that they will be going over my application in the near future.

Anybody have info regarding Peds sports med? Are the interview invitations given starting mid-Aug as well? Thanks.

Ya'll might find this helpful for looking up fellowships: https://www.sportsmedreview.com/fellowships-all/

Created by myself and a few former fellows. Trying to keep an updated resource for applicants because its a free for all out there. The website has a lot of other planned content as well.

Any family medicine applicants?? I got one interview so far.

I'm Family Med. Got 1 invite and 1 rejection so far

FM resident. Received 3 So Cal interviews and 2 Texas interviews. Hope to meet some of you during the interview trail.

I didn't clarify in my prior post, but I'm applying from FM. Now sitting on 4 interviews. Really only applied midwest with sparse programs up the east/ west coast. Zero connections out there so not really holding my breath -- point being I can't comment on if the FM programs out there are offering yet. Does seem a few are though, based on other comments.

As for sending the AMSSM to all programs, I imagine it would look better to a PD/PC to send via a personal email than attach as a LOR (someone above recommended). Seems efficient if you're shotgunning your app to 80 programs. Otherwise, I see it as lazy. Just my two cents.

Applying FM. 4 interviews so far that all came last week on the same day then radio silence since.

Was told by fellows to send CoE to each individual program, got confirmation of receipt from most.

This waiting game is tough.

FM resident with 1 interview invite so far. :)

How many interviews is considered ideal? How many are you planning on going to? I don’t have any idea on how many programs is ideal for SM fellowship.

It is clearly a competitive year, dont worry things will get better in the next two weeks.

You need ONE interview to match, one good interview is all you need.

How many interviews is considered ideal? How many are you planning on going to? I don’t have any idea on how many programs is ideal for SM fellowship.

ABFM doesn’t require or offer time off for fellowship interviews so it comes from PTO (unlike IM Residency at my hospital). So at my program don’t have much more than 8days (7-8interviews) to spare. Seems from convos that 6-8 interviews is typical but know some that did 4 and got a spot. Really prolly depends how broadly you apply and what cities.

I just finished fellowship, so in 2016 i applied to maybe 20. I got invites from just over half but ended up only going on 5. Getting time off, cost were factors plus i really loved a few programs and felt confident about them. I typically was on the lower end number wise when talking with other applicants.

Quick question, does anyone know if interview dates are on mon/fri or is it random?

Quick question, does anyone know if interview dates are on mon/fri or is it random?
Varies widely between programs, have to check individual sites or they will inform you when an invite is extended.

Have 3 interviews so far. One Thursday, one Friday, and one Saturday. Seems like it varies when interviews will be.

Here is an FYI/update for those who are apply from an FM background (if you are curious what programs have started sending out invites). As a fellow applicant, I ask that you feel free to expand this list to help myself out, as well as others applying.

My colleague and I are applying for SM and have been keeping each other updated on interview offers. Here is a list of the programs we've accumulated to date. My apologies if there are any errors for locations, below. Also, these are in random order.

MAHEC - Asheville, NC
Penn State - Hershey, PA
Penn State - State College, PA
Summa Health - Akron, OH
Advocate Lutheran - Chicago, IL
Presence Memorial - Chicago, IL
UPMC - Pittsburgh, PA
James Andrews Institute - Gulf Breeze, FL
Arizona State University - Phoenix, AZ
Riverstone Health - Billings, MT
Marshall Univ - Huntington, WV
UTHSC - Memphis, TN
Allegheny - Pitt, PA

I hope this helps! PM me with any questions. And again, please feel free to add!

FM background. Seven invites and one rejection so far.

Does anyone have any insight on USF vs Bayfront? Both take care of USF athletes.

Here is an FYI/update for those who are apply from an FM background (if you are curious what programs have started sending out invites). As a fellow applicant, I ask that you feel free to expand this list to help myself out, as well as others applying.

My colleague and I are applying for SM and have been keeping each other updated on interview offers. Here is a list of the programs we've accumulated to date. My apologies if there are any errors for locations, below. Also, these are in random order.

MAHEC - Asheville, NC
Penn State - Hershey, PA
Penn State - State College, PA
Summa Health - Akron, OH
Advocate Lutheran - Chicago, IL
Presence Memorial - Chicago, IL
UPMC - Pittsburgh, PA
James Andrews Institute - Gulf Breeze, FL
Arizona State University - Phoenix, AZ
Riverstone Health - Billings, MT
Marshall Univ - Huntington, WV
UTHSC - Memphis, TN