Spouses and Residency

Airborne

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question...

My wife and I want kids in the next few years (I'm an MS III MD/PhD). My wife understands that I am only interested in surgical subspecialty (ENT), and completely supports that decision and career route. We've decided to have children after intership, as I want to try to ensure that I don't miss too much to the important beginnings...

My question in how does one ask residents, either at your home institution or during the interview process, about this delicate issue, without sounding a bit "not focused" on the residency?

I have heard (urban legends?) that some gen surgery residencies tell their applicants that they have a 100% divorce rate - but I want to ensure that my career doesn't comsume my family, too (Let's face it one of us it enough. :)

For those of you in residency - what would your thoughts on the matter be?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I believe it is wise not to have children during Intern year, but that's just my opinion...

As far as asking the residents, I really don't know. I guess if it were me, I would feel out the situation and see if there was one resident that I felt comfortable asking this to... The residents want to help answer your questions. We are always asking how we can help answer questions by interviewees. Maybe find someone who has a family already, and ask him/her. That's all I can think of for you to do.

Sincerely,
Christy